Ponds Make Good Choice?

• 11 replies
Ponds Make Good Choice?
« on: March 28, 2019, 11:03:44 PM »
Yes- not a great season by him, has chance to go further next year with better team around him, finish degree, no first round projections (yet)

No- program future murky, needs the money now, just wants to be done with college, willing to be Euro, G-league player, better development in those leagues?

Just some thoughts- what do you all think? Objectively based on his play I would have stayed.

Re: Ponds Make Good Choice?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 11:11:50 PM »
Not a good choice for him or team. Still needs another year to become more consistent. Team will sink to second half of conference.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 11:26:38 PM »
If he played with a PG to spell him and let him play off the ball more he would be better off.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:27:18 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 12:04:13 AM »
Hope the right team takes him. Plenty of guys similar to him in stature have made it, but he needs the right system to start his career.

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 07:50:47 AM »
Not a good choice for him or team. Still needs another year to become more consistent. Team will sink to second half of conference.

Sink to second half? Finished in 7th out of 10 in a weak big east.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 09:03:29 AM »
Best of luck to Shamorie.  It was a pleasure watching him.

pmg911

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 09:33:32 AM »
Best of luck to Ponds in his basketball future.

I don't think he is an NBA player - he is very skilled kid but he is just not big enough and is average on ball defender. The game at the NBA level is changing so fast and I don't think he does anything so well that he will be able to to distinguish himself from lots of players just like him.

Probably makes a lot of money playing overseas.

Selfishly, I wish he stayed. Also, I hope he has all of his course work up to date and gets his degree.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 09:35:01 AM »
He had an amazing 2 1/2 years. The second half of this season was disappointing and the timing seemed to line up with the allegation of him being a danger to women on “surviving St. John’s.”

His soph season was incredible. I thought he’d be an NBA all-star after last year. I have some big doubts now. I think he really needed a second PG to max out his game. No team in the NBA makes one player play PG for 36 minutes for a reason.

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 09:58:02 AM »
He had an amazing 2 1/2 years. The second half of this season was disappointing and the timing seemed to line up with the allegation of him being a danger to women on “surviving St. John’s.”

His soph season was incredible. I thought he’d be an NBA all-star after last year. I have some big doubts now. I think he really needed a second PG to max out his game. No team in the NBA makes one player play PG for 36 minutes for a reason.

You know I've actually thought the same thing, regarding the SurvivingSJU thing. He had such a killer instinct the first half of the season. Then that whole allegation, he sat out the DePaul game, and looked like a shell of himself at times.

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 10:47:38 AM »
What allegation?

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 04:48:55 PM »
There is nothing left for him here he is the player he is going to be. Get paid young fella

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 05:03:58 PM »
This is a weak draft class and if he has NBA interest then he should go. This is similar situation to JaKarr Sampson.

What happens if he tore his ACL next year? Also NBA front offices really devalue players who are older too.

I just hope for his sake he winds up going to a great organization and not a shit show like Phoenix or Orlando.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle