Tariq Owens

• 52 replies

Marillac

Re: Tariq Owens
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 05:43:48 PM »
Texas Tech is an NIT team without Culver.

Marvin Clark and Keita played in Finals Fours. Samir Doughty is starting in a Final Four now.

It seems like you can add many decent players to a really good core of 3-4 players.

The thing that surprised me the most is how impossibly bad Keita is. I thought the floor was a 10-15 mpg player that would rebound and defend. I mean even a freshman Sima and we probably win 3-4 more games.

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2019, 07:18:25 PM »

Marvin Clark and Keita played in Finals Fours. Samir Doughty is starting in a Final Four now.

It seems like you can add many decent players to a really good core of 3-4 players.

The thing that surprised me the most is how impossibly bad Keita is. I thought the floor was a 10-15 mpg player that would rebound and defend. I mean even a freshman Sima and we probably win 3-4 more games.

Clark was not good

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2019, 08:09:30 PM »

Was surprising how incapable of using his body he was. He isn’t quick or agile but he also didn’t show much interest in boxing out. Also not great at reading the bounce. Still, hope he’s back and works where he is deficient. Did show a nice jump shot for a college 5

Dan

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 08:21:25 PM »
Was this quote from Owens ever posted here?

"Everybody has things we need to work on,” Owens said Wednesday, “and our coaching staff, instead of telling us we need to work on them, they put plans in place for us to work on them, and I really enjoy that about this program.”

He is so right...damning indictment against the coaching staff

« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 08:21:46 PM by Dan »

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 09:19:50 PM »
Was this quote from Owens ever posted here?

"Everybody has things we need to work on,” Owens said Wednesday, “and our coaching staff, instead of telling us we need to work on them, they put plans in place for us to work on them, and I really enjoy that about this program.”

He is so right...damning indictment against the coaching staff

Not sure how it’s damning. As has been mentioned, Owens hasn’t really gotten better, he’s just on a better team.

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2019, 09:25:59 PM »
Not sure how it’s damning. As has been mentioned, Owens hasn’t really gotten better, he’s just on a better team.
As has been mentioned by the Mullin friends. He has gotten better, more efficient stats, gained wight and muscle, playing in best conference in country.

Poison

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2019, 12:18:01 AM »

Owens is delivering on the biggest stage. That’s not improvement?

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2019, 01:09:40 AM »
As has been mentioned by the Mullin friends. He has gotten better, more efficient stats, gained wight and muscle, playing in best conference in country.

Since when did the Big 12 become the best conference in the country? He gained weight and muscle every year here, why should that not continue?

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2019, 01:11:59 AM »
Owens is delivering on the biggest stage. That’s not improvement?

I dunno did he disappear in big games at St Johns last year? I honestly don’t know. Is he performing roughly in line with what he did here?

I’m an Owens fan, I wish he would’ve stayed and I’ve been rooting for him at TT. But can we quit acting like he’s some changed player?

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2019, 02:32:20 AM »
Since when did the Big 12 become the best conference in the country? He gained weight and muscle every year here, why should that not continue?
He didn't gain weight here, one of the reasons he left. At TT immediately met with nutritionist put on weight adding diet and along with weight training gained 30 pounds of muscle in upper body. At SJU no big man coach and as you can see we lose all bigs that come here under Mullin. Owens himself commented on the skill improvement drills he was put through at TT instead of just being told what to work on by STJ. But that's OK continue believing what you want and if you think the BE was close to the BIG 12 so be it.

SJUFAN

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2019, 04:03:52 AM »

Who is our strength and conditioning coach? Who’s the team nutritionist? Who’s in charge of player development? Mitch? Matt? Jr? It’s non existent. Lavin came from UCLA and understood how to run a program. You would think Mullin would know this yet he is lost and it’s a shame. I wanted him to do well.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 04:05:19 AM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2019, 07:59:43 AM »
He didn't gain weight here, one of the reasons he left. At TT immediately met with nutritionist put on weight adding diet and along with weight training gained 30 pounds of muscle in upper body. At SJU no big man coach and as you can see we lose all bigs that come here under Mullin. Owens himself commented on the skill improvement drills he was put through at TT instead of just being told what to work on by STJ. But that's OK continue believing what you want and if you think the BE was close to the BIG 12 so be it.

30 pounds of muscle in 9 months??? You’re absolutely insane if you believe that.

Note that I didn’t say the Big East was ether than the Big 12, I just disagree with the idea that the Big 12 was the best. Because it wasn’t.

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2019, 08:10:27 AM »
No way Owen's gained 30 lbs or anything close.  Can't compare end of season weight to pre-season.

They claimed he was 200-205 his last season at SJU because he gained weight from previous years when he was 170-185. His dad used to tweet about him gaining offseasons at SJU too.

That would mean he's 230-235 now which he's not.

I dont care what he weighs though, still will root for him today vs. remaining teams.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 08:12:55 AM by RedStormNC »

Poison

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2019, 12:06:08 PM »

That’s such BS. Owens hasn’t gotten better? The hell he hasn’t. He’s starting on a FF team and now he’s in position to win a NC. This garbage about Texas Tech being one dimensional or lucky is pathetic.

WE ARE a pathetic excuse for a program. Mullin never should have been hired by StJohn’s or anyone program for that matter. He should ashamed of himself.

A gym rat? Where’s that hustler? Where’s the hard working Chris Mullin now?

cjfish

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2019, 12:09:28 PM »

His off the ball movement and screen setting got much better, undoubtedly due to superior coaching

Dan

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2019, 12:17:42 PM »

do you work for the program?  between being wrong about cam mack and this...you seem to be enjoying going down with the ship

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2019, 06:51:20 PM »
That’s such BS. Owens hasn’t gotten better? The hell he hasn’t. He’s starting on a FF team and now he’s in position to win a NC. This garbage about Texas Tech being one dimensional or lucky is pathetic.

WE ARE a pathetic excuse for a program. Mullin never should have been hired by StJohn’s or anyone program for that matter. He should ashamed of himself.

A gym rat? Where’s that hustler? Where’s the hard working Chris Mullin now?

Tell me where I said TT was lucky? They are a great team, which I have thought all season. TO has had a good season in his role. He hasn’t become more skilled or really advanced his overall game IMO. But he’s winning.

Poison

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2019, 07:09:24 PM »
I dunno did he disappear in big games at St Johns last year? I honestly don’t know. Is he performing roughly in line with what he did here?

I’m an Owens fan, I wish he would’ve stayed and I’ve been rooting for him at TT. But can we quit acting like he’s some changed player?

We cannot. Sorry. He is.

SJUFAN

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2019, 09:10:49 PM »
Hope y’all watch Tariq today. This TT team is not that much more Talented than our 4-14 team WITHOUT LoVett. They have more size which makes them better but 4-14? Tariq’s in the F&$!k!$ Final Four! They may lose to MST tho, but this staff has these players coached up well. Watch these boys play and get jealous. Y’all don’t realize how bad a job the staff did with last years team.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 09:42:06 PM by SJUFAN »