Tariq Owens

• 52 replies

pmg911

Tariq Owens
« on: April 01, 2019, 02:19:02 PM »
Personally, I am happy for the kid. He played hard here, graduated and clearly made the right decision to leave.

That said, if he had stayed, St. John's was probably a Sweet 16 team this year...

Some of the various comments by our fans about a year ago:

He was never going to put in the weight he needed. He'll never find a school that will offer more minutes.

As much, as I like Owens....  He can be replaced.  But not sure how much the staff will bust their ass in replacing him

Not sure what he’s gonna gain by transferring?

Probably wants to play in the tournament

He isn't getting 30 + mins in a power conference. Look at Tennessee.

He is a DECENT player but overrated by fans.  Regardless, All kids should explore their best option.

Winning games might be important to them.

Let him go get 15 minutes at his third school. He's on drugs if he thinks he's going to play more at his weight or be allowed to jack jumpers.

If Tariq graduates from St.John’s then he will have done his part. He doesn’t owe them more than he’s given them already.

As flawed as Tariq's game may be there are elements that he does bring that we will not be able to replace

Where is he going to go that could offer a better situation?

Delusional.  Maybe.  But a change in scenery, message, system, can sometimes do wonders.

Maybe he's leaving because Keita is better than him

I actually think we are ok there with Keita who I think is gonna be pretty good at both ends, and a raw, young Josh Roberts.

**I stopped looking through the comments after pg 10 of the thread last year, her is the link for anyone that wants to revisit themselves...

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=10911.0

Re: Tariq Owens
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 02:26:39 PM »
My post is the second one on there.  My post was certainly logical, as Owens was replaceable (and I do like Owens), but our staff didn't bust their ass to replace him.  Actually, Olujobi could've replaced Owens' production but someone decided not to "bust their ass" to show up when he was on campus.  So, maybe my post should've been bolded in "red" or "purple."  LOL

I can't speak for the other quotes you've posted. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 02:29:21 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 03:11:15 PM »
I know which post is mine

pmg911

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 03:48:11 PM »
it was honestly just a random selection of posts...  not meant to be a dig at anyone

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 03:51:25 PM »
it was honestly just a random selection of posts...  not meant to be a dig at anyone

I'm offended

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 04:38:02 PM »
I haven't watched enough but how much has his game improved since last year?
Does Beard use him differently?
From what I've briefly seen he seems to be in a similiar role but has formidable frontline mates which allows him more freedom on the D. He has always been good on the weak side and a shot blocking presence in the lane.

tnice

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 05:12:33 PM »
From what I've briefly seen he seems to be in a similiar role but has formidable frontline mates which allows him more freedom on the D. He has always been good on the weak side and a shot blocking presence in the lane.
Thats the ironic part...TO left here in large part due to his (dad's) disagreement with how he was being used on offense- he wanted to let his inner Kevin Durant flourish- and Tech used him the same way Mullin did. He averaged fewer minutes, and took fewer shots (only 29 3's all year).

I mean, good for him that he made the Final Four. I didnt want to see him go and if he had stayed and was willing to play the role he played for us in the past it I think this season wouldve turned out better. But part of the reason i dont think we should play the "what if?" game is because he allegedly didnt want to do that...then went to another school and did exactly that.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 06:11:12 PM »
I wonder if the University is as embarrassed as they should be.

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 08:39:01 PM »

Why should they be?

Poison

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 08:49:08 PM »
Why should they be?

Because seeing Owens bust his tail on national TV reinforces the point that our program fosters a culture of laziness.

Not to mention losing.

SJUFAN

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 10:05:03 PM »

The difference is he’s playing for a team that demands every player plays defense. I’m not sure what offense they run but it’s structured, plenty of screens and weak side movement.

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 08:00:14 AM »
Because seeing Owens bust his tail on national TV reinforces the point that our program fosters a culture of laziness.

Not to mention losing.

This is just a pointless exercise. We had our best season in a while without Owens, maybe he should transfer out more often??

Poison

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 09:41:26 AM »
This is just a pointless exercise. We had our best season in a while without Owens, maybe he should transfer out more often??

Big men on Providence, DePaul and Xavier wouldn’t have had their way with us on just about every possession.

He wasn’t awesome here, but he was better than any other center we’ve had since Ty Grant. He’s playing great basketball now. Better than he ever has. He has a much better staff. That’s what we should be looking to replace. Our kids need better planning, and better teachers. 

It’s pathetic that in the final month, the time when it’s all supposed to come together we look more lost than at any other point in the season.

That’s on the head coach.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:42:57 AM by Poison »

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 11:20:30 AM »
Big men on Providence, DePaul and Xavier wouldn’t have had their way with us on just about every possession.

He wasn’t awesome here, but he was better than any other center we’ve had since Ty Grant. He’s playing great basketball now. Better than he ever has. He has a much better staff. That’s what we should be looking to replace. Our kids need better planning, and better teachers. 

It’s pathetic that in the final month, the time when it’s all supposed to come together we look more lost than at any other point in the season.

I was being fascetious my guy.

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 12:31:35 PM »
Good point.

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 12:35:51 PM »
Great thread PMG. We really missed him this year and think saying we would have been a sweet 16 team isn't a stretch whatsoever.

Also underrated loss this year was Mikey Dixon. Spilling minutes, keeping guys fresh, and having better scoring punch was really missed.

We've been plagued for far too long being thin, injured, or have a gaping positional weakness.

I know a lot were critical of Owens but my counter was always who's better in conference? Seriously he would have been top 3 big imo.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 12:38:43 PM »

He averaged 8,6,3 last year and was improving. What more would we ask of a non-scoring defensive stopper?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 01:26:12 PM »

Embarrassed..  LOL

He graduated from St. John's when he was supposed, represented the school well and made a decision to leave that was good for himself.

You don't like that he left the basketball team so the school should be embarrassed...  LOL

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 01:42:05 PM »
Great thread PMG. We really missed him this year and think saying we would have been a sweet 16 team isn't a stretch whatsoever.

Also underrated loss this year was Mikey Dixon. Spilling minutes, keeping guys fresh, and having better scoring punch was really missed.

We've been plagued for far too long being thin, injured, or have a gaping positional weakness.

I know a lot were critical of Owens but my counter was always who's better in conference? Seriously he would have been top 3 big imo.

Would have loved to see the rest of the season with Dixon, defensive warts and all. Would have helped scoring and keeping ponds fresh. We had 1 guy who could break down a defense for the last 18 games of the year.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 04:57:55 PM »
Embarrassed..  LOL

He graduated from St. John's when he was supposed, represented the school well and made a decision to leave that was good for himself.

You don't like that he left the basketball team so the school should be embarrassed...  LOL

He left because the program is inept. If a kid that works as hard as he does doesn’t see that work ethic in the staff he should leave.

Yes, the University should be ashamed of themselves. Mullin should have some pride and resign. He doesn’t deserve this position, and the University is too stupid to get rid of him.