Mullin to step down? Hurley in?

• 361 replies
Re: Mullin to step down? Hurley in?
« Reply #180 on: April 08, 2019, 09:47:02 PM »
Mullin is stepping down. Buyout details not known yet, but it'll be done by tomorrow.

Marillac

« Reply #181 on: April 08, 2019, 09:50:33 PM »
My dream staff:

Bobby Hurley - head coach
Rashon Burno - associate hc
Marc Hsu - AC
Andy Borman - AC
Hurley Sr. - Advisor
Derrick Wrobel - DOBO
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:51:06 PM by Marillac »

Marillac

« Reply #182 on: April 08, 2019, 09:52:05 PM »
No offense to carmine, as he may actually be a real good dude.  But his posts on this forum were a waste of time, IMO.

Carmine is a great dude.

« Reply #183 on: April 08, 2019, 09:52:52 PM »
Get the best man for the job. If it’s Hurley it’s Hurley. Just don’t be narrow minded this time.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #184 on: April 08, 2019, 09:55:39 PM »
Get the best man for the job. If it’s Hurley it’s Hurley. Just don’t be narrow minded this time.
Oft times teams don't get rid of the present coach without having the next coach already lined up which might be the case with Hurley. Foad having a 2 bottle night.

DFF6

« Reply #185 on: April 08, 2019, 09:56:35 PM »
I know it was time, but it’s still sad to see it end this way. 

https://nypost.com/2019/04/08/chris-mullin-to-step-down-as-coach-of-st-johns/

« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2019, 09:59:15 PM »
Oft times teams don't get rid of the present coach without having the next coach already lined up which might be the case with Hurley. Foad having a 2 bottle night.

I agree and just hope the diligence was done. St. John’s last hire was a “relationship” hire.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

QuanMan

« Reply #187 on: April 08, 2019, 10:03:00 PM »
I'll always respect and admire Chris for coming to Queens at a time in his life where he didn't need to. Say what you want about his effort but his heart is and will always be in the best interest of this program and I commend him for his tenure.

Turning to a new chapter in Hurley hopefully pays off immediately as we need help complimenting the seniors and LJF. Early hope is that we nab Borman to retain Heron and Tabor, with Kuminga hopefully not too far behind. Also, I'd love to bring in Cheatham as a grad transfer this Summer.
Section 3
Section 116

TONYD3

« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2019, 10:03:50 PM »
Agree. Who cares who it is. Just want to someone is committed and competent. Ed Cooley isn’t a magician

« Reply #189 on: April 08, 2019, 10:09:08 PM »
Carmine is a great dude.

Glad to hear it! 

« Reply #190 on: April 08, 2019, 10:09:19 PM »
Anyone up for a Lavin part 2?

« Reply #191 on: April 08, 2019, 10:22:31 PM »
Nate Tabor Just decommited....Just give me Hurley!!

Marillac

« Reply #192 on: April 08, 2019, 10:30:30 PM »
I agree and just hope the diligence was done. St. John’s last hire was a “relationship” hire.

I’ve heard from a lot of people that Hurley was a done deal weeks ago. I had my doubts over the weekend after the statement, but it all makes sense now — even Dickie V’s public plea for Pitino. Kind of cool we still have that kind of juice.

Hurley’s staff at ASU isn’t very good so hopefully he can add a few names we’ve discussed recently.

I’ve always wanted Hurley Sr. on the staff. I saw him teach at a clinic in college and have been in awe since.

I just hope we get this wrapped up quickly and keep Simon and get Heron back.

SJUFAN

« Reply #193 on: April 08, 2019, 10:34:35 PM »
I'll always respect and admire Chris for coming to Queens at a time in his life where he didn't need to. Say what you want about his effort but his heart is and will always be in the best interest of this program and I commend him for his tenure.

Well said.

« Reply #194 on: April 08, 2019, 10:34:53 PM »
Let’s get Hurley in and get to work

tnice

« Reply #195 on: April 08, 2019, 10:36:06 PM »
I don’t think he whiffed. He reported what he was told. I don’t believe he believed everything he was told.
I tagged Zach in a tweet when the rumors started flying today asking if he had anything. He responded twice: "The AD is in Minneapolis still" and "And Mullin isnt even on campus"

So yeah, he whiffed big time. He clearly had no other sources in the staff/administration other than Matt.

tnice

« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2019, 10:39:09 PM »
I'll always respect and admire Chris for coming to Queens at a time in his life where he didn't need to. 

Twice...as a player and again as a coach. I was a huge critic of his coaching, but I'll always have the utmost respect for him as the greatest Redmen of them all.

« Reply #197 on: April 08, 2019, 10:40:39 PM »
Agreed.  It's time.  And it's sad.  He pre-dated me but my Dad worships the guy; he wanted this to work out so badly.  I wanted it to work out so badly.  I think most of us did. 

In retrospect, for all the excitement I had off the bat about the combo of Slice and Matt, it was a massive screwup.  If we had a real AD at the time, I think he would have been a positive voice in Mullin's ear when it came to staff composition.  And I think if you replaced him a staff similar to what Hoiberg had, I think this would have worked out fine.

This is a huge missed opportunity.  We follow the ins and outs on this board, but there are SO many casual NY/Northeastern NJ sports fans, or diehard pro sports fans without a college team, that pulled for us simply because Chris Mullin was our coach.  Because he is that type of icon when it comes to hoops in this part of the country.  That massive group of fans were dying to jump on the band wagon of a somewhat successful team simply because of the thought of Chris Mullin doing well at St. John's.  Look no further than the excitement it generated with the year we had this past season.

I know it was time, but it’s still sad to see it end this way. 

https://nypost.com/2019/04/08/chris-mullin-to-step-down-as-coach-of-st-johns/

goredmen

« Reply #198 on: April 08, 2019, 10:42:38 PM »
With it sounding like it will be Hurley, I'm obviously happy but there's a good chance this will be another frustrating tenure. Like Mullin and Lavin, Hurley has slightly underachieved with the talent he's had and his teams play a little too freestyle and undisciplined for my liking with porous shot selection at times. The last two seasons he's gone from beating Kansas to ending up in the first four. This year's Kansas win was sandwiched by losses to a bad Vanderbilt team and Princeton. Talk about inconsistency.

That said, Hurley's upside is far higher than Mullin's. One thing is for sure with Hurley, we won't be having conversations 3-4 years from now that our coach is lazy like we have with the past 2 coaches. Hurley is going to get after it night and day and that will be refreshing at least

« Reply #199 on: April 08, 2019, 10:42:46 PM »
Screw Zach and screw his little fanboy feeding him information to get positive press.  I hope that dude gets booed from the rafters next time he shows up at Citi field when he comes "home".

I tagged Zach in a tweet when the rumors started flying today asking if he had anything. He responded twice: "The AD is in Minneapolis still" and "And Mullin isnt even on campus"

So yeah, he whiffed big time. He clearly had no other sources in the staff/administration other than Matt.