Mullin to step down? Hurley in?

• 361 replies

Johnny23

Re: Mullin to step down? Hurley in?
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 06:45:33 PM »
Yep, sure this potential decision was based on info from these Boards. Gotta be kidding me!

You're welcome for Bobby.  8)

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 06:46:48 PM »
This really is good news, everyone saves face.
Mullin can say he brought the school back to the NCAAs, greater attendance and alumni participation
Have to think Cragg and his Duke connections only had to help with this. Old man Hurley had a hard on for Louie and St Johns; only sent two kids here. Can't think they would have done this without knowing Cragg.

Great, great move!

TONYD3

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 06:49:51 PM »

Look at how many openings there are around the country. Now look at how many have any interest or have looked into Bobby Hurley.

He is average. Just wait and see.
Agree. Average coach who tries is light years ahead of lazy rich novice who doesn’t.

Johnny23

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 06:52:27 PM »
Mullin can say he brought the school back to the NCAAs, greater attendance and alumni participation
Have to think Cragg and his Duke connections only had to help with this. Old man Hurley had a hard on for Louie and St Johns; only sent two kids here. Can't think they would have done this without knowing Cragg.

Great, great move!

Pretty much what I'm thinking. If this ends up happening, Cragg gets some serious kudos.

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 06:54:51 PM »
What would happen to the incoming class? Who would stay that's already on the team?

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2019, 06:59:11 PM »
What would happen to the incoming class? Who would stay that's already on the team?
Hurley is light years ahead of Mullin regarding college coaching and running a college basketball program. Only guys who want to work, improve and win while doing it will stick around.

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2019, 06:59:31 PM »
Mullin wants to be paid, plus Hurley has buyout on top of paying slice for nothing.....highly doubtful

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2019, 07:00:33 PM »
Maybe Tim C from Iona, does he have any type of buyout clause?

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 07:03:44 PM »
The Hurley boys also pushed Senior to throw his hat into the SJU ring after the Jarvis debacle.  It was reported extensively in a book about St. Anthony's that I read a few years ago.

Great, great move!

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2019, 07:15:56 PM »
Cam Mack asked for his release.

Imagine Simon running the point for 40 minutes a night.

Let that sink in.

I was born in 86 - I don't even know who Mullin is.

Fire this CLOWN
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 07:21:18 PM by SeattleJohnny »

goredmen

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2019, 07:33:50 PM »

NYCoffey

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2019, 07:34:37 PM »
There was another post under the comments section on the coaching changes twitter saying that Cluess would never coach at St Johns as long as Coach C is alive. What was the beef there?

SJUFAN

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2019, 07:37:28 PM »
Perhaps it has more to do with Mullin's family situation/personal issues and simply not wanting to do this anymore or not having his heart fully in it, in which case stepping aside for the good of the school when we know absolutely no one can or will "force" him out is the right thing.

Or, and I know people would hate to think this, Mullin was in it just for the money. We’re else would he get a paycheck like this? Clearly he wasn’t cut out to be an NBA executive, no one is banging on his door to hire him.

Dan

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2019, 08:11:27 PM »
and cam mack is out, so there's the big recruit they got out the window

mullin needs to go

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2019, 08:40:31 PM »
Or, and I know people would hate to think this, Mullin was in it just for the money. We’re else would he get a paycheck like this? Clearly he wasn’t cut out to be an NBA executive, no one is banging on his door to hire him.

You may be right, but your post says more about you than Mullin. Read post like this and wonder why I bother.

redslope

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2019, 08:53:36 PM »
Interesting fact on Bobby Hurley--a fan of thoroughbred horse racing and currently has a racing stable.  Maybe a famous SJU alumnus has a relationship that could make it happen.  Also not much or significant racing in Arizona; whereas SJU is only down the road from Belmont and Aqueduct.

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2019, 08:58:19 PM »
Interesting fact on Bobby Hurley--a fan of thoroughbred horse racing and currently has a racing stable.  Maybe a famous SJU alumnus has a relationship that could make it happen.  Also not much or significant racing in Arizona; whereas SJU is only down the road from Belmont and Aqueduct.
This might not be a good thing-might have a repeat of Jarvis spending all of his time at the track.  :)

SJUFAN

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2019, 08:58:29 PM »
You may be right, but your post says more about you than Mullin. Read post like this and wonder why I bother.

So let me get this. You believe that if I’m right it reflects more negatively against me, the person who mentioned it, than the person who is actually doing it?

Whether I’m right or wrong one thing is certain, some of you really have a hard on for Mullin.

desco80

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2019, 09:15:21 PM »
I dont think Mullin has done an awful job.  He has mediocre talent and has produced mediocre results.   I'm not sure what realistic hire could have done substantially better. 

That said, I would like to see Bobby Hurley here.  He's an overly dramatic psycho on the court, but we're hiring a basketball coach.   Social skills and brains arent exactly the most important criteria. 
Convince kids to play for you and teach them how to efficiently put the ball through the hoop.

I think Hurley can do that better than most.

But, while I certainly trust dave. I'm shocked sju is paying Mullin's buyout and a buyout for Hurley? Unbelievable until I see it happen. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 09:19:02 PM by desco80 »

SJUFAN

« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2019, 09:27:07 PM »
I dont think Mullin has done an awful job.  He has mediocre talent and has produced mediocre results.   I'm not sure what realistic hire could have done substantially better.   

Mediocre talent or Mediocre coaching? Think about who had more talent among the BE teams this year and then remember we finished in 7th place. Mullin doesn’t coach, run practices, recruit, or develop players. I don’t mean he doesn’t do it well, he doesn’t do it.