Mullin to step down? Hurley in?

• 361 replies
Re: Mullin to step down? Hurley in?
« Reply #240 on: April 09, 2019, 02:56:09 AM »
Apparently our big time, Duke pedigreed AD has the same unrealistic expectations.
I don't have any idea what transpired between the AD and Mullin or what were the reasons for coach stepping down, if it's in fact true, as I wasn't invited to the end of season meeting. There was a press release 2 days ago to the effect that Mullin is the coach and has the full support of the University. I read a post recently pointing out how St. John's has often removed coaches after successful seasons and it hasn't worked out so well. I was shocked when Hollywood left and would be shocked by this one as well.
On a couple occasions the past week you took the opportunity to tell passionate St Johns fans to take it elsewhere simply because they disagreed with you on a subject which
That is incorrect.

I suggested that perhaps certain posters might be mistakenly on the wrong website after they called Mullin an "absolute disgrace". I forgot what prompted the first one. I am very respectful of the opinion of others up to and including that Mullin is an awful coach and he should be replaced.

in light of todays news, they were proved totally right.
Nothing has been proven, right or wrong.

Maybe you should take a few days to make sense of it all.
No need. It all makes perfect sense to me.

« Reply #241 on: April 09, 2019, 03:03:38 AM »
Some people, like yourself have referred this started with nothing excuse for Mullin pretty often.

Couldn’t a possible starting 5 have been

PG - Jordan
SG - Sampson
SF - Johnson
PF - Obekpa
C - Sima

Maybe these kids just didn’t want to play for a guy who was learning on the job no matter how much of a genius move it was.

I don't know what the hypothetical lineup might have been if Hollywood had remained. I do know that the roster Mullin had his first season led by Ron Mvouika was one of the weakest D1 major conference lineups I've ever seen.

I was a Steve Lavin supporter and was quite surprised and not happy about the coaching change.

« Reply #242 on: April 09, 2019, 03:56:18 AM »
No offense, but if making it to the first 4 was a very successful season then the really set the bar low don't we.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 03:57:01 AM by Aknel79 »

« Reply #243 on: April 09, 2019, 03:59:55 AM »
Hey guys, ASU fan here letting you know all about Bobby if he decides to jump ship.

First I would like to point out that I personally think everything is pointing to him leaving for St. Johns at the moment and think he will bolt to you guys. A lot of ASU fans would say the opposite, but I have always had the feeling Bobby is looking to leave at the first opportunity he gets. It's mostly being close to family and home that I think closes the deal.

Second, I am not sure what St. Johns is looking at offering Hurley. Hurley currently has a 3 million dollar buyout if he breaks the contract. Also, he gets an additional million if he is retained throughout the contract.

2.2 mil - 2019
2.3 mil - 2020
2.5 mil - 2021

Add in the 3 mil he would could have to pay back, and the 1 mil for retention and its looking like to break even with his current situation St. Johns is looking at 3.6 mil per season. That would place him #8 in highest paid college coaches for what its worth.

Lastly, coaching and recruiting. Bobby is the best recruiter ASU has had. Phenomenal. Class coming in for us this year is most likely his weakest. I would not get your hopes up for any recruits de-committing for St. Johns. The best kid coming in is Eddie House's kid, an ASU alum.

Coaching wise, he is not the greatest. I love Hurley and what he has done for the program. Would be devastated to lose him at this point. However, he is not a good X's and O's coach. I have always believed that he can develop this area, however. ASU plays up and down to their competition. If you are looking for a defensive minded team, you'll be disappointed. The ASU team this year was highly athletic, yet showed no defensive cohesiveness 75% of the time. Opponents were getting open 3's at will, which is why ASU had terrible loses to teams like Wazzu.

Offense is always moving, but rarely does the ball go inside. He give his guards all the freedom in the world. This can either be great, or spell disaster. If you watched the ASU-Buffalo game you would see what I mean. No ball movement, just guards dribble handoff outside the 3pt line looking for their own shot most of the time.

One thing is certain, if you do get Hurley he jolt your program. He definitely hates losing more than he likes winning. Obviously very passionate, and players love to play for him.

Sorry for the drawn out response, but figured I would drop by and give my input with no more basketball to be played. If you have any questions, please let me know.

« Reply #244 on: April 09, 2019, 05:07:12 AM »
Appreciate the input, Sundevil.

I don't appreciate you letting me know Eddie House has a child entering college, as that makes me feel old as dirt.

« Reply #245 on: April 09, 2019, 05:52:28 AM »
Matt leaving was the real cue. He saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship. The ironic thing is that Mullin choose Matt over slice.

That was the beginning of the end

Poison

« Reply #246 on: April 09, 2019, 08:09:14 AM »
I don't know what the hypothetical lineup might have been if Hollywood had remained. I do know that the roster Mullin had his first season led by Ron Mvouika was one of the weakest D1 major conference lineups I've ever seen.

I was a Steve Lavin supporter and was quite surprised and not happy about the coaching change.

He had Ron M’Vouika because that’s the best he could do. The recruits that were already in place didn’t trust him, and the players in our system didn’t either.

Looks like they were pretty smart not to.

There’s no need now to call Mullin names. I’m just glad he’s leaving. I will celebrate his wonderful career as one of the greatest players we’ve ever had one of the best city players ever.

Poison

« Reply #247 on: April 09, 2019, 08:14:31 AM »
We only went 5 deep and 40% of that shot 1 for 17. If those two shoot anywhere near their season percentages it would have looked more like we worked together and it came together.

If. How many games did the team have nothing over the last three weeks.

Why do you keep excusing Mullin? Judge him for what he really is, and the work he’s actually done.

Whatever that is.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:30:23 AM by Poison »

« Reply #248 on: April 09, 2019, 08:22:52 AM »
He had Ron M’Vouika because that’s the best he could do. The recruits that were already in place didn’t trust him, and the players in our system didn’t either.

Looks like they were pretty smart not to.

There’s no need now to call Mullin names. I’m just glad he’s leaving. I will celebrate his wonderful career as one of the greatest players we’ve ever had one of the best city players ever.

This isn’t fair. He came in when the vast majority of recruits were spoken for, the biggest problem was not retaining some of the guys he was able to get on short notice.

Jordan was flunking out, Obekpa had had it here, word is Sampson was waiting for the LSU offer. It isn’t like players were running scared.

pmg911

« Reply #249 on: April 09, 2019, 08:31:33 AM »
Knowing the Hurleys, I'd be floored if Bobby didn't kill himself trying to win at this job.  If he doesn't work his a&& off here there must be something in the water.

I haven't followed the ins and outs of Hurley's tenure at his prior stops.  But he has turned around two programs pretty darn quickly.  That has to mean something, I think.

"Knowing the Hurleys"   You say that like you actually know them, do you..?

If you do, you have not followed him at his previous stops..?

Apologies if I misunderstood the post..

Poison

« Reply #250 on: April 09, 2019, 08:31:58 AM »
This isn’t fair. He came in when the vast majority of recruits were spoken for, the biggest problem was not retaining some of the guys he was able to get on short notice.

Jordan was flunking out, Obekpa had had it here, word is Sampson was waiting for the LSU offer. It isn’t like players were running scared.

When Fran and Jarvis were hired did kids grab their shit and run like hell?

Mullin is the reason they left. That’s the point. It’s always the point.

« Reply #251 on: April 09, 2019, 08:35:36 AM »
Fortunately, this situation is far different that the last two.

When Norm was fired the school didn't really have a plan as to who was going to replace him. There the delusions that Repole would have been able to per$uade a Pitino or Billy Donovan to come to Queens. When it became clear names like those weren't ever coming here we wound up getting conned by a snake oil salesman who hadn't coached in 7 years.

When Lavin was let go, the school couldn't say no to the the fund raising coup that hiring the prodigal son to resurrect the program would be. The thought wasn't terrible, that a guy who had been around basketball his entire life could succeed at coaching if he surrounded himself with the right people. And he wasn't wildly unsuccessful, but better is needed.

With this hire, you have a guy like Cragg that is putting his entire reputation on the line and a guy like Hurley who needs to be successful in this position. Lavin always had the TV fallback. Mullin would always be fine if he failed at coaching. That's why they got lazy. Hurley's career is at stake here. He's going to work his ass off. Cragg needs it to work too. He will give Hurley everything he needs to be successful within reason.

Lavin was not a "snake oil" salesman. Two NCAA tournaments and two NITs. For a program in the dust that means something. Not every coach is perfect and we were not a Duke yet but at least he had us winning always with thoughts of post-season. At least we always had a chance to land 4-5 stars and even if we did not always get them in the end we were were pretty damn close. And as for his own body of work he did manage to get 4 stars and a 5 star in here.

What did the current staff do? Shamorie, Heron, LJ , Simon and transfer U? Thats it. And Tabor 2 years out. That is not enough. Until this year, every other year of Mullin we went in knowing we had NO chance at post-season. This was only year we had expectations and they were not met. Lavin worked his tail off recruiting and did not just outsource to a single assistant to do it all. Lavin legitimately loved the school too (not saying Mullin did not but don't say Lavin was just in it for paycheck).

I get the naysayers that say we needed fresh blood and did not think we were taking the next step, but other than the money made this year as a program the Mullin years have taken us backwards. If you wanted a change should have been Mark Jackson or Hurley THEN. Heck maybe even Ewing with his coaching experience in NBA. That team is trending up.........
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:39:52 AM by friendofjohnnie »

desco80

« Reply #252 on: April 09, 2019, 08:47:52 AM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelzman/2019/04/09/a-hire-chris-mullin-was-not-allowed-to-make-helped-set-the-stage-for-his-departure/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Not sure where a Forbes writer gets sources like this, but the story seems plausible based on what has been said around here.

Johnny23

« Reply #253 on: April 09, 2019, 08:55:34 AM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelzman/2019/04/09/a-hire-chris-mullin-was-not-allowed-to-make-helped-set-the-stage-for-his-departure/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Not sure where a Forbes writer gets sources like this, but the story seems plausible based on what has been said around here.

This just reinforces that there's a new sheriff in town and his name is Cragg. Great to have strong leadership at the top for a change. Excited to see who our new HC is so we can finally get this thing moving in the right direction after 4 loooong years.

Poison

« Reply #254 on: April 09, 2019, 08:57:59 AM »
Lavin was not a "snake oil" salesman. Two NCAA tournaments and two NITs. For a program in the dust that means something. Not every coach is perfect and we were not a Duke yet but at least he had us winning always with thoughts of post-season. At least we always had a chance to land 4-5 stars and even if we did not always get them in the end we were were pretty damn close. And as for his own body of work he did manage to get 4 stars and a 5 star in here.

What did the current staff do? Shamorie, Heron, LJ , Simon and transfer U? Thats it. And Tabor 2 years out. That is not enough. Until this year, every other year of Mullin we went in knowing we had NO chance at post-season. This was only year we had expectations and they were not met. Lavin worked his tail off recruiting and did not just outsource to a single assistant to do it all. Lavin legitimately loved the school too (not saying Mullin did not but don't say Lavin was just in it for paycheck).

I get the naysayers that say we needed fresh blood and did not think we were taking the next step, but other than the money made this year as a program the Mullin years have taken us backwards. If you wanted a change should have been Mark Jackson or Hurley THEN. Heck maybe even Ewing with his coaching experience in NBA. That team is trending up.........

Mark Jackson is bananas.

Johnny23

« Reply #255 on: April 09, 2019, 08:58:44 AM »

What is it with your undying loyalty to try and save face for Chris Mullin? The guy couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. The overwhelming majority of people out there, not just SJU fans, knew this.

Yet you and a few other Mullinites still persist and act like the deck was stacked against him. You couldn't be further from the truth. He had a full hand and just didn't know how to parlay it. The days of Chris Mullin being a head coach at any level for any program are over. The experiment failed.

« Reply #256 on: April 09, 2019, 09:03:12 AM »
Mark Jackson is bananas.

He helped begin the Warriors turnaround, I would not call that bananas. Someone like that gets immediate respect from the HS kids out there now. Also his mentality fits college coaching- discipline team etc. Also is former PG so he knows the game well and that is in his favor. 

« Reply #257 on: April 09, 2019, 09:28:11 AM »
I'd be happy with Pitino, Jackson, or Hurley.

Anyone else including Cluess, and I'd be slightly to extremely disappointed. I like Cluess, but feel like we'd be signing up as a mid-major, if we aren't there already.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 09:28:46 AM by redstorm212 »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #258 on: April 09, 2019, 10:34:54 AM »
This just reinforces that there's a new sheriff in town and his name is Cragg. Great to have strong leadership at the top for a change. Excited to see who our new HC is so we can finally get this thing moving in the right direction after 4 loooong years.

Just a humiliating ending to an all time great...He was criticized for not getting Rice, but it turns out he was turned down. What would of happened if he Mullin did get Rice? Mullin should still be criticized for not upgrading his staff, but he did try to get Rice.

The fact that he went to the President begging, is embarrassing...Gempesaw also set bad habits by letting the basketball coach report directly to him.

The bitterness that will linger from this by one of the all time great Johnnies is sad.

The school hired a professional, let’s see what he can do.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #259 on: April 09, 2019, 10:41:07 AM »
He helped begin the Warriors turnaround, I would not call that bananas. Someone like that gets immediate respect from the HS kids out there now. Also his mentality fits college coaching- discipline team etc. Also is former PG so he knows the game well and that is in his favor. 

no more hiring alumni.  school has this mentality that it has to hire from the inside. time to be more open and not run like a mom and pop operation.  I believe Cragg is trying to do that.