Mullin to step down? Hurley in?

• 361 replies
Mullin to step down? Hurley in?
« on: April 05, 2019, 02:26:39 PM »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Mullin to step down? Hurley in?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 02:28:07 PM »
Please and Thanks!......Mullin got us back to the NCAA Tourney and got the fan support this past year to an all Time High....Yes wish he was better but this is a smart move for both and i am 10000% in for.

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 02:30:56 PM »
Hit one of my good buddies up who's at the Final Four and is always on the pulse of coaching changes.

Says this handle is comprised of assistant coaches around the country who are well connected. He didn't personally hear this but says there could be some truth to it.

Additionally another person hit me up prior to this tweet saying same thing and also said if it does or doesn't happen that Mitch is gone.

Obviously we all know this could change like the weather in Florida but just relaying some info passed my way.

SJUFAN

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 02:39:53 PM »
This can’t be true. Mullin is clearly doing a fantastic job based off our 21 win season and pre first round exit in the NCAA tournament. Why would admin want a change? The fact he doesn’t know how to coach or recruit doesn’t matter.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 03:13:13 PM »
whether this is true or not this better get resolved soon.  this will affect recruiting or we need time to find a new coach.

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 03:37:25 PM »
Hit one of my good buddies up who's at the Final Four and is always on the pulse of coaching changes.

Says this handle is comprised of assistant coaches around the country who are well connected. He didn't personally hear this but says there could be some truth to it.

Additionally another person hit me up prior to this tweet saying same thing and also said if it does or doesn't happen that Mitch is gone.

Obviously we all know this could change like the weather in Florida but just relaying some info passed my way.

Thanks for passing this along Dave. Did your sources both mention Hurley would be the replacement, or just that Mullin was stepping down?

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 03:41:06 PM »
Thanks for passing this along Dave. Did your sources both mention Hurley would be the replacement, or just that Mullin was stepping down?

1. Hurley in.
2. Wasn't aware but thought there could be truth to it

I know Dan wanted to come to St. John's for a while so it would make sense for Bobby to share same feelings. I'm not as connected to Bobby. 

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 03:45:22 PM »
1. Hurley in.
2. Wasn't aware but thought there could be truth to it

I know Dan wanted to come to St. John's for a while so it would make sense for Bobby to share same feelings. I'm not as connected to Bobby.

In your opinion do you think that Bobby could be successful here? I don't know much about him from a coaching aspect other than his intensity and tireless work ethic.

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 03:48:53 PM »
Bobby would be an underwhelming hire imo and I'm afraid we will be right back here in another 4 or 5 years.

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 03:55:26 PM »
either way, the school needs to make a decision.  all these rumors i'm sure are making the recruits, current players, and THEIR parents uneasy.  something needs to happen.

that said, hurley, while not perfect, would be the closest thing we've had to a college coach since Louie.  i'm all for it.

wpc77

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 04:20:50 PM »
Thanks Dave. 

This will make the Chris Mullin and Lou C golf tournament in a few weeks a fairly awkward affair.

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 04:52:40 PM »
Bobby would be an underwhelming hire imo and I'm afraid we will be right back here in another 4 or 5 years.
What? Qualified coach who will try. He will recruit and bring in a real staff. He is a home run.

wpc77

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 05:16:39 PM »
What? Qualified coach who will try. He will recruit and bring in a real staff. He is a home run.

100% correct.  This would be a very good move if it happens. 

Poison

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 05:17:45 PM »
I love Bobby Hurley.

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2019, 05:21:20 PM »

Look at how many openings there are around the country. Now look at how many have any interest or have looked into Bobby Hurley.

He is average. Just wait and see.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2019, 05:21:46 PM »

Hurley built Buffalo into a nationally ranked program. He's a New Yorker who is respected as both a coach and as a player. How on earth is this a bad move? This is the move we should have made 4 years ago. It was a no brainer.

Johnny23

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2019, 05:41:57 PM »
There is a Lord! I guess laying out the Mullin facts on here may pay off after all.

Please be true. Bobby was born to coach in NY.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 05:45:29 PM by Johnny23 »

goredmen

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2019, 06:00:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/CoachingChanges/status/1114285550020775938

I obviously have no idea if this is true or not but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Important time to remember that there is no such thing as loyalty in sports. Its always only about the $$$, nothing else

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 06:27:29 PM »
Perhaps it has more to do with Mullin's family situation/personal issues and simply not wanting to do this anymore or not having his heart fully in it, in which case stepping aside for the good of the school when we know absolutely no one can or will "force" him out is the right thing.

This can’t be true. Mullin is clearly doing a fantastic job based off our 21 win season and pre first round exit in the NCAA tournament. Why would admin want a change? The fact he doesn’t know how to coach or recruit doesn’t matter.

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 06:35:54 PM »
There is a Lord! I guess laying out the Mullin facts on here may pay off after all.

Please be true. Bobby was born to coach in NY.

Yep, sure this potential decision was based on info from these Boards. Gotta be kidding me!