Mullin to step down? Hurley in?

• 361 replies

goredmen

Re: Mullin to step down? Hurley in?
« Reply #200 on: April 08, 2019, 10:44:49 PM »
I tagged Zach in a tweet when the rumors started flying today asking if he had anything. He responded twice: "The AD is in Minneapolis still" and "And Mullin isnt even on campus"

So yeah, he whiffed big time. He clearly had no other sources in the staff/administration other than Matt.

Let's not forget how he MASSIVELY whiffed on the Slice thing years back too. He was straight up insulting people on twitter for even asking about Slice's potential departure when those rumors started.

He's an idiot and a paper bag. Kinda crazy how our only beat reporter can be so wrong on the two biggest scoops surrounding the program in the past 4 years.

« Reply #201 on: April 08, 2019, 10:44:59 PM »
Knowing the Hurleys, I'd be floored if Bobby didn't kill himself trying to win at this job.  If he doesn't work his a&& off here there must be something in the water.

I haven't followed the ins and outs of Hurley's tenure at his prior stops.  But he has turned around two programs pretty darn quickly.  That has to mean something, I think.

With it sounding like it will be Hurley, I'm obviously happy but there's a good chance this will be another frustrating tenure. Like Mullin and Lavin, Hurley has slightly underachieved with the talent he's had and his teams play a little too freestyle and undisciplined for my liking with porous shot selection at times. The last two seasons he's gone from beating Kansas to ending up in the first four. This year's Kansas win was sandwiched by losses to a bad Vanderbilt team and Princeton. Talk about inconsistency.

That said, Hurley's upside is far higher than Mullin's. One thing is for sure with Hurley, we won't be having conversations 3-4 years from now that our coach is lazy like we have with the past 2 coaches. Hurley is going to get after it night and day and that will be refreshing at least

« Reply #202 on: April 08, 2019, 10:46:45 PM »
And writing articles every other day about Owens to stick the knife in.  You think they are doing that in Tenn, where Owens transferred from.  Or where Mooney transfered from?  Or where Francoise transferred from (Florida)? 

Let's not forget how he MASSIVELY whiffed on the Slice thing years back too. He was straight up insulting people on twitter for even asking about Slice's potential departure when those rumors started.

He's an idiot and a paper bag. Kinda crazy how our only beat reporter can be so wrong on the two biggest scoops surrounding the program in the past 4 years.

Dan

« Reply #203 on: April 08, 2019, 10:48:28 PM »
You can't be much of a beat reporter if you literally only had one source.

Guy is awful

« Reply #204 on: April 08, 2019, 10:49:28 PM »
I’ve heard from a lot of people that Hurley was a done deal weeks ago. I had my doubts over the weekend after the statement, but it all makes sense now — even Dickie V’s public plea for Pitino. Kind of cool we still have that kind of juice.

Hurley’s staff at ASU isn’t very good so hopefully he can add a few names we’ve discussed recently.

I’ve always wanted Hurley Sr. on the staff. I saw him teach at a clinic in college and have been in awe since.

I just hope we get this wrapped up quickly and keep Simon and get Heron back.

I heard the same with Hurley a few weeks ago. Hell I heard about a conversation had with Cragg and him in January. He'll come with Burno and Borman to start the staff

goredmen

« Reply #205 on: April 08, 2019, 10:49:37 PM »
Knowing the Hurleys, I'd be floored if Bobby didn't kill himself trying to win at this job.  If he doesn't work his a&& off here there must be something in the water.

I haven't followed the ins and outs of Hurley's tenure at his prior stops.  But he has turned around two programs pretty darn quickly.  That has to mean something, I think.

Agree. Hurley did a great job at Buffalo, and did very well at Arizona State. He got players there and he'll get players here, hopefully he gets the most out of them.

Related note: Coach K is 72. He doesn't have many more years left on the sidelines and right now there is no clear successor to him as none of his former assistants/players have crushed it elsewhere. I hope that Bobby Hurley is the Head Coach of Duke 5 or 6 years from now.

Dan

« Reply #206 on: April 08, 2019, 10:51:36 PM »
Agree. Hurley did a great job at Buffalo, and did very well at Arizona State. He got players there and he'll get players here, hopefully he gets the most out of them.

Related note: Coach K is 72. He doesn't have many more years left on the sidelines and right now there is no clear successor to him as none of his former assistants/players have crushed it elsewhere. I hope that Bobby Hurley is the Head Coach of Duke 5 or 6 years from now.

I hope he's dominating at St. John's but that would be the second best option as it obviously means he was hugely successful.

« Reply #207 on: April 08, 2019, 10:56:46 PM »
I do like Hurley, but wonder- which Hurley we getting ? Buffalo program builder or ASU with big budget big facilities but falls short with expectations. I want to believe now that he is back to his area he will have those recruiting connects more at his disposal. He needs a good staff - first order of business keep Heron and Simon then work on getting Tabor back and start going after the 4 stars.

Johnny23

« Reply #208 on: April 08, 2019, 11:03:07 PM »
With the connections and reputation that the Hurley brand carries in NY/NJ he could put this program on solid footing in short order.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #209 on: April 08, 2019, 11:04:00 PM »
When Roberts left, everyone celebrated that the nightmare is over. Lavin left and many people thought that finally the team can rebuild the right way. Mullin is gone (the greatest player left on bad terms and hopefully this rift can eventually be healed), and now everyone is saying the nightmare is over and this team can be rebuilt the right way.

I’m not saying that Mullin needed to go,  but I’m also not celebrating that he’s gone. The bad news is that President Gempeshaw is 0/2 with initial hires. The good news is that he seems to learn from his mistakes.

Maybe this time with this administration SJU can finally be on the right path for sustain respectability and winning.

I’m optimistic, a little sad, but not celebrating yet.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #210 on: April 08, 2019, 11:10:35 PM »
When Roberts left, everyone celebrated that the nightmare is over. Lavin left and many people thought that finally the team can rebuild the right way. Mullin is gone (the greatest player left on bad terms and hopefully this rift can eventually be healed), and now everyone is saying the nightmare is over and this team can be rebuilt the right way.

I’m not saying that Mullin needed to go,  but I’m also not celebrating that he’s gone. The bad news is that President Gempeshaw is 0/2 with initial hires. The good news is that he seems to learn from his mistakes.

Maybe this time with this administration SJU can finally be on the right path for sustain respectability and winning.

the best thing I've learned from people in the know this last week, upper management and Cragg are on the same page.

goredmen

« Reply #211 on: April 08, 2019, 11:16:48 PM »

Fortunately, this situation is far different that the last two.

When Norm was fired the school didn't really have a plan as to who was going to replace him. There the delusions that Repole would have been able to per$uade a Pitino or Billy Donovan to come to Queens. When it became clear names like those weren't ever coming here we wound up getting conned by a snake oil salesman who hadn't coached in 7 years.

When Lavin was let go, the school couldn't say no to the the fund raising coup that hiring the prodigal son to resurrect the program would be. The thought wasn't terrible, that a guy who had been around basketball his entire life could succeed at coaching if he surrounded himself with the right people. And he wasn't wildly unsuccessful, but better is needed.

With this hire, you have a guy like Cragg that is putting his entire reputation on the line and a guy like Hurley who needs to be successful in this position. Lavin always had the TV fallback. Mullin would always be fine if he failed at coaching. That's why they got lazy. Hurley's career is at stake here. He's going to work his ass off. Cragg needs it to work too. He will give Hurley everything he needs to be successful within reason.

Marillac

« Reply #212 on: April 08, 2019, 11:20:11 PM »
Interesting angle on the possible addition of Hurley:

Two key players are eligible to be grad transfers from ASU: Rob Edwards and Zylan Cheatham.

Also of note, a PG followed Hurley to ASU from Buffalo. I would expect the same to happen with one of the two point guards he has committed.

Things could be looking up for us really quickly. 

goredmen

« Reply #213 on: April 08, 2019, 11:26:27 PM »
Interesting angle on the possible addition of Hurley:

Two key players are eligible to be grad transfers from ASU: Rob Edwards and Zylan Cheatham.

Also of note, a PG followed Hurley to ASU from Buffalo. I would expect the same to happen with one of the two point guards he has committed.

Things could be looking up for us really quickly. 

I believe Cheatham is out of eligibility. He redshirted his first season at SDSU and then didn't play his Jr season as he was a transfer

« Reply #214 on: April 08, 2019, 11:27:08 PM »
Matt leaving was the real cue. He saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship. The ironic thing is that Mullin choose Matt over slice.

tnice

« Reply #215 on: April 08, 2019, 11:28:47 PM »
With it sounding like it will be Hurley, I'm obviously happy but there's a good chance this will be another frustrating tenure. Like Mullin and Lavin, Hurley has slightly underachieved with the talent he's had and his teams play a little too freestyle and undisciplined for my liking with porous shot selection at times. The last two seasons he's gone from beating Kansas to ending up in the first four. This year's Kansas win was sandwiched by losses to a bad Vanderbilt team and Princeton. Talk about inconsistency.

That said, Hurley's upside is far higher than Mullin's. One thing is for sure with Hurley, we won't be having conversations 3-4 years from now that our coach is lazy like we have with the past 2 coaches. Hurley is going to get after it night and day and that will be refreshing at least
Agree 100% about Bobby, the good and the bad. I'm hoping Cragg has some feelers out to others in the Coach K tree.(coughJohnnyDawkinscough)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:45:17 PM by tnice »

« Reply #216 on: April 08, 2019, 11:44:17 PM »
Bobby or Danny the better recruiter?

goredmen

« Reply #217 on: April 08, 2019, 11:47:08 PM »

Marillac

« Reply #218 on: April 08, 2019, 11:48:13 PM »
I believe Cheatham is out of eligibility. He redshirted his first season at SDSU and then didn't play his Jr season as he was a transfer

If he graduates this year he gets next season.

Marillac

« Reply #219 on: April 08, 2019, 11:49:06 PM »