Mullin to step down? Hurley in?

• 361 replies

Dan

Re: Mullin to step down? Hurley in?
« Reply #220 on: April 08, 2019, 11:51:03 PM »

Lol

Or they don’t want to talk to you, Zach!

yep

he had one source, he is gone, and now Zach needs to throw shade on the program because he doesn't have any sources.  Which you know as the beat writer you probably shouldn't hold your hopes on one guy who also happens to be a glory chasing egotist.

goredmen

« Reply #221 on: April 08, 2019, 11:52:03 PM »
If he graduates this year he gets next season.

I don't think that's true. Graduating has nothing to do with your total eligibility, just if you are eligible to transfer without sitting out.

Marillac

« Reply #222 on: April 08, 2019, 11:59:36 PM »
With it sounding like it will be Hurley, I'm obviously happy but there's a good chance this will be another frustrating tenure. Like Mullin and Lavin, Hurley has slightly underachieved with the talent he's had and his teams play a little too freestyle and undisciplined for my liking with porous shot selection at times. The last two seasons he's gone from beating Kansas to ending up in the first four. This year's Kansas win was sandwiched by losses to a bad Vanderbilt team and Princeton. Talk about inconsistency.

That said, Hurley's upside is far higher than Mullin's. One thing is for sure with Hurley, we won't be having conversations 3-4 years from now that our coach is lazy like we have with the past 2 coaches. Hurley is going to get after it night and day and that will be refreshing at least

He’s underachieved at ASU and I even scoffed at people swooning over him, but he would have had a legit Elite Eight roster next year. His incoming recruiting class just shows that he gets it. PGs and ball handlers all over the place, rebounders, etc.

Lavin and Mullin never had three guys that can run PG. They never had 5 kids averaging 1.0+ offensive rebounds a game. They never won a tournament game.

Marillac

« Reply #223 on: April 09, 2019, 12:08:53 AM »
I don't think that's true. Graduating has nothing to do with your total eligibility, just if you are eligible to transfer without sitting out.

I don’t know anyone who has had a sixth season denied. Do you? The NCAA is as lenient as ever. He broke his foot his freshman seasons and that forced the redshirt.

goredmen

« Reply #224 on: April 09, 2019, 12:15:57 AM »
I don’t know anyone who has had a sixth season denied. Do you? The NCAA is as lenient as ever. He broke his foot his freshman seasons and that forced the redshirt.

Usually they'd be lenient with a player if he got hurt after the redshirt season. Cheatham chose to transfer and sit out a season AFTER he took a redshirt season. He's not getting a 6th year. I don't think he did/will apply for one. He has played his last college basketball game.

Marillac

« Reply #225 on: April 09, 2019, 12:26:19 AM »
Usually they'd be lenient with a player if he got hurt after the redshirt season. Cheatham chose to transfer and sit out a season AFTER he took a redshirt season. He's not getting a 6th year. I don't think he did/will apply for one. He has played his last college basketball game.

You may be right about him playing his last game, but that would be his decision. 6th years are given out like candy now. His brother was just killed and he moved closer to home to help him prior. It seems pretty open and shut to me. Whether he wants to delay going pro is another story.

« Reply #226 on: April 09, 2019, 12:39:20 AM »
It was the way they played down the stretch that was embarrassing. They didn’t work together, or come together in any way. 
We only went 5 deep and 40% of that shot 1 for 17. If those two shoot anywhere near their season percentages it would have looked more like we worked together and it came together.

« Reply #227 on: April 09, 2019, 12:40:49 AM »
Carmine,

I admire your loyalty to our coach and I agree wholeheartedly with what you have argued here. However, I learned at an early age that it is useless to argue with idiots. They will never feel about St. John's basketball what you feel. They are the epitome of losers.
Thanks Ltf.  I know you're right but it does help me pass the time.

« Reply #228 on: April 09, 2019, 12:45:01 AM »
Those other guys atleast tried. Your boy can’t even do that. Where is he? Do you think he worked today?
As stated other times. You seem like a great guy. If this lazy man never asked for this job we would probably be friends.
I am 40 years old. Whatever lazy ass did when I was finishing up 1st grade doesn’t count.
He sucks and is lazy. He already stole 8 million. He should quit and not hold the school hostage.
He just matched the best season the school has had this millennium. Your expectations are unrealistic.

« Reply #229 on: April 09, 2019, 12:48:56 AM »
Did you watch the game (or the end of the season for that matter)?  They were horrible to watch.
Yes, I saw every game including the seasons disappointing conclusion. Many in person.

« Reply #230 on: April 09, 2019, 12:50:11 AM »
It’s finally over!!! Atleast you guys can lie to yourselves that last season was success!
Last season was a success.

« Reply #231 on: April 09, 2019, 12:50:46 AM »
I've already gone on record that carmine is either trolling y'all or will simply back Mullin, regardless.  Reason why I stopped replying to his posts.
I don't troll. I write the truth.

« Reply #232 on: April 09, 2019, 12:52:35 AM »
No offense to carmine, as he may actually be a real good dude.  But his posts on this forum were a waste of time, IMO.
All of our posts on this forum are a waste of time.

Poison

« Reply #233 on: April 09, 2019, 12:53:58 AM »
Bobby Hurley took a job on his younger brother’s coaching staff in 2010.

Even though he was an exceptionally accomplished college basketball player, and even though he comes from coaching royalty, Bobby Hurley took a position at the bottom, and my guess is he probably did put in the time to succeed, which is why he has.

He built one program from nothing. One he brought to the dance two straight seasons.

Not massively successful but he’s had success in places that have been hard to recruit to.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:57:06 AM by Poison »

« Reply #234 on: April 09, 2019, 12:55:29 AM »
Sorry to all the oldies on here who got too emotional because he was an amazing player. 
Never got too emotional. In fact the opposite - analytical.

« Reply #235 on: April 09, 2019, 12:57:59 AM »
Carmine is a great dude.
Thanks Marillac.

« Reply #236 on: April 09, 2019, 01:12:00 AM »
and did very well at Arizona State. 
Hurley in his 4th season at Arizona State after starting with much more made it to an Ncaa tournament play in game and did very well.

Mullin in his 4th season at St. John's after starting with much less made it to the exact same Ncaa tournament game and was a disaster?

How does that work?

tnice

« Reply #237 on: April 09, 2019, 01:17:51 AM »
He just matched the best season the school has had this millennium. Your expectations are unrealistic.
Apparently our big time, Duke pedigreed AD has the same unrealistic expectations.

On a couple occasions the past week you took the opportunity to tell passionate St Johns fans to take it elsewhere simply because they disagreed with you on a subject which, in light of todays news, they were proved totally right. Maybe instead of doubling down its you that should should log off for a bit. The cognitive dissonance seems to be throwing you a bit.  Maybe you should take a few days to make sense of it all.

Poison

« Reply #238 on: April 09, 2019, 01:30:56 AM »
Hurley in his 4th season at Arizona State after starting with much more made it to an Ncaa tournament play in game and did very well.

Mullin in his 4th season at St. John's after starting with much less made it to the exact same Ncaa tournament game and was a disaster?

How does that work?

Some people, like yourself have referred this started with nothing excuse for Mullin pretty often.

Couldn’t a possible starting 5 have been

PG - Jordan
SG - Sampson
SF - Johnson
PF - Obekpa
C - Sima

Maybe these kids just didn’t want to play for a guy who was learning on the job no matter how much of a genius move it was.

« Reply #239 on: April 09, 2019, 02:18:01 AM »
Some people, like yourself have referred this started with nothing excuse for Mullin pretty often.

Couldn’t a possible starting 5 have been

PG - Jordan
SG - Sampson
SF - Johnson
PF - Obekpa
C - Sima

Maybe these kids just didn’t want to play for a guy who was learning on the job no matter how much of a genius move it was.

Jordan was not going to classes and was academically ineligible. He wasnt given much of a choice to come back.

Sampson had zero relationship with new staff always wanted to go to LSU, when they finally reached out he was gone.

How did Obekpa pan out at his next stop?

Sima was not good and played very soft. Did nothing at OSU.

Mullin was left with nada.