Mullin to step down? Hurley in?

• 361 replies

Johnny23

Re: Mullin to step down? Hurley in?
« Reply #300 on: April 10, 2019, 07:06:02 AM »
I’m not going to accept what we don’t know. We don’t know what would have happened next year so I’m not going to chalk it up as a bad season. That’s asinine.

Mullin delivered the most exciting and cathartic win I’ve witnessed in my short 10 year fandom. He followed that up with a W over the eventual champions. He followed that up with a season where our names were called on selection Sunday. He leaves with a solid albeit incomplete roster that a new coach will have the ability to build on, something he did not have.

He also built some excitement around the team, selling out CA a few times and with a few exciting MSG wins gives Cragg a bargaining chip to expand our footprint there.

You think he was a failure but you, of course, are a chronic malcontent that lacks perspective.

I think he had a few rough seasons, some exciting wins and tourney appearance but left a lot of questions unanswered.

10 year fandom? No wonder you're so easily impressed by mediocrity. Nothing that Mullin did is going to be used to build upon. Quite the contrary it's going to be blown up so no one can remember how bad these past 4 years were.

Johnny23

« Reply #301 on: April 10, 2019, 07:07:52 AM »
His tenure here will be remembered for equaling as good a result as any coach here has achieved this century and for facilitating the greatness that was Ponds.

Fool's gold. Anyone with a discerning eye knows this program was stuck in cruise control and rolling backwards downhill these last 4 years. Ponds actually regressed this year so sounds like you're saying Mullin helped facilitate that slide as well.

« Reply #302 on: April 10, 2019, 07:30:10 AM »
10 year fandom? No wonder you're so easily impressed by mediocrity. Nothing that Mullin did is going to be used to build upon. Quite the contrary it's going to be blown up so no one can remember how bad these past 4 years were.

Believe it or not I was a UConn fan before college so I’m fairly familiar with what success looks like.

« Reply #303 on: April 10, 2019, 08:20:58 AM »
Fool's gold.
And you're the fool.

Anyone with a discerning eye knows this program was stuck in cruise control and rolling backwards downhill these last 4 years.
8, 14, 16, 21 Tournament bid - Do you know the meaning of the word "backwards"?
Ponds actually regressed this year 
He had his best season out of the three and was a 1st team all-BE selection. Do you know the meaning of the word "regressed".

Is it so hard to formulate a cohesive anti-Mullin platform without resorting to lies?  I could do it.  There's no way even you believe the crap you write.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 08:23:07 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #304 on: April 10, 2019, 08:24:16 AM »
His tenure here will be remembered for equaling as good a result as any coach here has achieved this century and for facilitating the greatness that was Ponds.

Lav- 2 NITs and 2 NCAAs and plenty of exciting wins along the way. Mullin never even came close to that. Also Lav recruited a ton of top players here, ones that Mullin never would have had a chance with. Mullins value to this program was fundraising and sellouts that is all.

As for Ponds- he was good not great. He regressed this season. Plenty to blame for that but a fact is a fact. Also- from TALENT-wise Sheed would run circles around Ponds easily. A focused Sheed without the baggage could have been a first-team All-American.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 08:24:51 AM by friendofjohnnie »

Johnny23

« Reply #305 on: April 10, 2019, 08:26:09 AM »
Believe it or not I was a UConn fan before college so I’m fairly familiar with what success looks like.

You're familiar with success so you became a St. John's fan 10 years ago? Says a lot about your ability to judge talent.

Johnny23

« Reply #306 on: April 10, 2019, 08:30:36 AM »
And you're the fool.8, 14, 16, 21 Tournament bid - Do you know the meaning of the word "backwards"?He had his best season out of the three and was a 1st team all-BE selection. Do you know the meaning of the word "regressed".

Is it so hard to formulate a cohesive anti-Mullin platform without resorting to lies?  I could do it.  There's no way even you believe the crap you write.

59-73 that's bad. 20-52 in the Big East?? That's a fireable offense and hence why you're man crush Mullin has been shown the door. Good day.

« Reply #307 on: April 10, 2019, 08:38:52 AM »
You're familiar with success so you became a St. John's fan 10 years ago? Says a lot about your ability to judge talent.

Yes, I’m not sure if you’re familiar with how it works: many times when a person attends a university they decide to start rooting for that university’s athletic programs, you know, proximity, cheap tickets and all that.

It’s too bad you’ve decided to become a troll but I guess thems the breaks.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 08:39:14 AM by survivedc »

Poison

« Reply #308 on: April 10, 2019, 08:40:57 AM »

What did Mullin build? His bank account.

Poison

« Reply #309 on: April 10, 2019, 08:43:27 AM »
Lav- 2 NITs and 2 NCAAs and plenty of exciting wins along the way. Mullin never even came close to that. Also Lav recruited a ton of top players here, ones that Mullin never would have had a chance with. Mullins value to this program was fundraising and sellouts that is all.

As for Ponds- he was good not great. He regressed this season. Plenty to blame for that but a fact is a fact. Also- from TALENT-wise Sheed would run circles around Ponds easily. A focused Sheed without the baggage could have been a first-team All-American.

I think Ponds was avoiding injury the last month. He wasn’t getting into the lane like he had been.

To his credit, he’d have had more assists against Arizona State if Clark didn’t score 0 points.

Johnny23

« Reply #310 on: April 10, 2019, 08:47:55 AM »
What did Mullin build? His bank account.

Sad, but true.

« Reply #311 on: April 10, 2019, 09:59:49 AM »
Guess I understand Mullin didn't produce the results on the court, but it's over and he's gone. Let's end this amicably as a fan base and move on. Put some respek on his name.

« Reply #312 on: April 10, 2019, 10:34:16 AM »
Is it normal for a coaching leaving to be across the country and say goodbye by telephone?

« Reply #313 on: April 10, 2019, 10:41:21 AM »
Is it normal for a coaching leaving to be across the country and say goodbye by telephone?

Its very unprofessional. I cannot blame some players for harboring ill will from that.

And let us connect the dots here- from my understanding there was talk about a Mullin potential resignation before the national championship somehow it leaked among the assistant coaches from other schools and then this resignation for Hurley picked up steam. Mullin should have known this could have potentially happened if the school was not going to extend him so he should have been here locally for at least these 2 weeks if something happened to at least speak to the players one way or the other. Either- this is my plan for you next year, don't transfer/NBA or to tell them about resigning personally. I sense alot of bad faith here and miscommunication. Makes program look bad - we need to hire someone respectable fast so it does not continue to fester.

« Reply #314 on: April 10, 2019, 10:54:04 AM »
Its very unprofessional. I cannot blame some players for harboring ill will from that.

And let us connect the dots here- from my understanding there was talk about a Mullin potential resignation before the national championship somehow it leaked among the assistant coaches from other schools and then this resignation for Hurley picked up steam. Mullin should have known this could have potentially happened if the school was not going to extend him so he should have been here locally for at least these 2 weeks if something happened to at least speak to the players one way or the other. Either- this is my plan for you next year, don't transfer/NBA or to tell them about resigning personally. I sense alot of bad faith here and miscommunication. Makes program look bad - we need to hire someone respectable fast so it does not continue to fester.
School still in session why isn't in staying on campus to mentor and work with his players which is allowed by NCAA (off season workouts). From what I have heard this is is modus operandi-go back to California right after the season. This is why I harbor bad feelings toward Mullin's entire tenure as coach here-his lack of commitment and work ethic. Treated coaching like a part time job-was never close to fully invested.

pmg911

« Reply #315 on: April 10, 2019, 10:57:45 AM »

As for Ponds - he had much better talent around him this year and didn't have to shoot almost every time down the court. I don't know how you can say he regressed. That said, I don't think he is NBA player and could be well served to come back and play for a coach who was an elite college point guard (if in fact Hurley takes the job)

It's really an insult to talk about Ponds & Jordan in the same post. Ponds will go down as one of the best players ever at St. John's.

Jordan was a walking "what if" -  super talented but just not a good kid..    bad attitude, bad work habits, bad teammate...    just look where he ended up..   Ponds will go down as one of the best to ever play @ St. John's and if he stayed, he probably passes Chris Mullin as the schools all time scorer

« Reply #316 on: April 10, 2019, 11:10:37 AM »
As for Ponds - he had much better talent around him this year and didn't have to shoot almost every time down the court. I don't know how you can say he regressed. That said, I don't think he is NBA player and could be well served to come back and play for a coach who was an elite college point guard (if in fact Hurley takes the job)

It's really an insult to talk about Ponds & Jordan in the same post. Ponds will go down as one of the best players ever at St. John's.

Jordan was a walking "what if" -  super talented but just not a good kid..    bad attitude, bad work habits, bad teammate...    just look where he ended up..   Ponds will go down as one of the best to ever play @ St. John's and if he stayed, he probably passes Chris Mullin as the schools all time scorer

Several times during the season he would be turning the ball over when we needed him the most to take charge. The end of the season slide he was a no-show for most of it and as another poster said perhaps to not risk injury?! He needed to take over as a leader to overcome the coaching deficiencies at end and he failed. Yes a good player and glad to have him but not great. Like you said great may have been possible coming back extra year to correct the record under a good coach.

And my point with Sheed was this- TALENT not talking about the baggage. If his head was screwed on straight he had the potential for greatness and lottery pick easily. If I was to start a team and needed one game to win and focused on the talent aspect its Sheed over Ponds any day. And on the court Sheed showed up in several games where the supporting cast failed him. Sometimes this season I felt the opposite with Ponds occurred. The others show up and he does not when he is most needed.

« Reply #317 on: April 10, 2019, 11:48:12 AM »
Several times during the season he would be turning the ball over when we needed him the most to take charge. The end of the season slide he was a no-show for most of it and as another poster said perhaps to not risk injury?! He needed to take over as a leader to overcome the coaching deficiencies at end and he failed. Yes a good player and glad to have him but not great. Like you said great may have been possible coming back extra year to correct the record under a good coach.

And my point with Sheed was this- TALENT not talking about the baggage. If his head was screwed on straight he had the potential for greatness and lottery pick easily. If I was to start a team and needed one game to win and focused on the talent aspect its Sheed over Ponds any day. And on the court Sheed showed up in several games where the supporting cast failed him. Sometimes this season I felt the opposite with Ponds occurred. The others show up and he does not when he is most needed.

It doesn’t sound like you actually watched the games.

« Reply #318 on: April 10, 2019, 12:15:23 PM »
It doesn’t sound like you actually watched the games.

Did more than watch I attended them and was heavily involved with the program during my years at the school from witnessing practices to the games to seeing NBA scouts who were roaming Taffner. I do not have to justify myself to you.

Its clear to any NBA scout that no baggage Sheed was a lottery pick if he put in a solid junior year, the keys/raw talent were there (remember Syracuse, Duke and Nova games). And its also objectively clear that at this point Ponds will not make an NBA roster and if he is lucky enough to be drafted its mid second round and alot of G-league before Europe. Sheed was such a tragedy because translatebale NBA talent was there. Shame it was thrown away. In Ponds case, if he stayed he works himself to late first round and better shot at roster.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 12:36:22 PM by friendofjohnnie »

pmg911

« Reply #319 on: April 10, 2019, 12:16:14 PM »

If his head was screwed on straight he had the potential for greatness and lottery pick easily.

and if my Aunt had balls she would be my Uncle...