New Coach

• 840 replies

Johnny23

Re: New Coach
« Reply #420 on: April 14, 2019, 09:54:13 AM »
You really believe that? Best way you could put it is he escaped before it got real bad. More truthful way to describe it is the golden boy was finally told no. He realized he would have had to actually work and decided to stay in California. He saw the shame that was coming and he left.
The fact that many of you are ignoring the facts after 4 years is funny. As boring as it is to keep repeating 20-51, that’s what happened. That’s why on April 13th their is no coach.
The Ad’s goal was not Hurley or Brey. It was just getting rid of dead weight. Goal 2 is bringing in a capable replacement willing to work.  Not Santa Claus. The AD has not failed.
Wait until next year and the difference will be obvious. Imagine having a coach who actually works full time, spends most of his months in the state of N.Y, and actually recruits and coaches the team. You know doing his job! Their is slightly more to coaching then “fxck you”

I have no idea who the next staff will be. It won’t include rich Buddies who only work part time.
Rebuild is a bad word around here. But we need one and it could be fun. Actually watching guys get better and competing.Not as fun as winning but still better then going through the motions.
Trusting the process won’t include giving lazy coaches passes as we watch 0 foundation being laid in awful seasons.

Of course he doesn't believe that. He's just saying it because he's a jackass narcissist.

There's a very small pocket of Mullin homers who will say that til the end. Everyone else in the free world knows that Mullin "stepped" down before it got worse if that's even possible.

Kudos to Cragg for taking control of the situation.

Poison

« Reply #421 on: April 14, 2019, 10:00:56 AM »
I think he is a good x/o coach. I see nothing wrong with getting a solid x/o coach and putting 1 or 2 pitbull recruiting coaches around him. Everyone keeps going for the home run. Build a solid foundation first. Y’all have the pedegree but for this generation of kids they won’t remeber that at all.

+1

Should have hired Cluess four years ago.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 10:01:26 AM by Poison »

Foad

« Reply #422 on: April 14, 2019, 10:22:20 AM »
You really believe that?

I read this much of you War and Peace length post before getting bored: perhaps you should eat more bran. Now please to be pissing off. As I told you ten times now if I can't call you  stupid you're of no use to me. And no amount of leg humping will change that. Pretty soon you'll be driving by my house and calling my answering machine just to hear my voice like a love sick teen girl. Just go away. It's over. I'm seeing someone else. Bye. 

« Reply #423 on: April 14, 2019, 10:37:30 AM »
spoke to one person with ties to the board meeting...starting to feel like Cluess is not happening. Shrug emoji...who knows

TONYD3

« Reply #424 on: April 14, 2019, 11:36:36 AM »
I read this much of you War and Peace length post before getting bored: perhaps you should eat more bran. Now please to be pissing off. As I told you ten times now if I can't call you  stupid you're of no use to me. And no amount of leg humping will change that. Pretty soon you'll be driving by my house and calling my answering machine just to hear my voice like a love sick teen girl. Just go away. It's over. I'm seeing someone else. Bye. 

Not over yet. You are not getting off that easy.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 11:41:45 AM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #425 on: April 14, 2019, 12:20:57 PM »
spoke to one person with ties to the board meeting...starting to feel like Cluess is not happening. Shrug emoji...who knows

They don't want to fork over the buyout and want a bigger name.

« Reply #426 on: April 14, 2019, 12:44:57 PM »
You do realize he's been a winner at every level? How's that 20-52 disgraceful Big East record treating your boy Mullin??

With no coaching experience Mullin never should have been hired, but that wasn’t the question I asked you.

I asked if you will want Cluess fired after the first or second game Marquette drops 100 points on us.

If Cluess is able to recruit at a top level than I do think it could have a pretty good career here. I just don’t think we should pay around $6.5m ($4m for Mullin and $2.5 for Cluess) in buyouts for a coach like Cluess.

« Reply #427 on: April 14, 2019, 12:48:47 PM »
Cragg has been saying Yes Coach K, No Coach K for 30 years. Probably it was reflex.

I highly doubt he ever said No Coach K.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 01:20:05 PM by stjohnnie75 »

Johnny23

« Reply #428 on: April 14, 2019, 01:06:50 PM »
With no coaching experience Mullin never should have been hired, but that wasn’t the question I asked you.

I asked if you will want Cluess fired after the first or second game Marquette drops 100 points on us.

If Cluess is able to recruit at a top level than I do think it could have a pretty good career here. I just don’t think we should pay around $6.5m ($4m for Mullin and $2.5 for Cluess) in buyouts for a coach like Cluess.

I wouldn't want him fired even it they dropped 100 on us twice. That's because I know from his track record which is a proven body of work that the guy builds winners. He did it in the HS and college ranks.

I agree that he could do well here for many years if he brings in some good recruiters with him. It also sounds like he's extremely well liked by the NYC HS coaching community which carries some weight.

In regards to the buyout I'd probably still do it because it will look like small potatoes if he ends up building a consistent winner here.

Poison

« Reply #429 on: April 14, 2019, 01:08:32 PM »
During this transitional period I think we should all take a moment to appreciate the work of Mike Cragg.

It was a bold, but necessary move to fire Chris Mullin. Everyone at the University knew that many people would be upset by the decision, but that it had to be done.

The question that baffles me to this day is what on earth were they thinking in the first place by hiring him?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 01:15:19 PM by Poison »

« Reply #430 on: April 14, 2019, 01:18:03 PM »
During this transitional period I think we should all take a moment to appreciate the work of Mike Cragg.

It was a bold, but necessary move to fire Chris Mullin. Everyone at the University knew that many people would be upset by the decision, but that it had to be done.

The question that baffles me to this day is what on earth were they thinking in the first place by hiring him?

Nostalgia and an attempt to rally the fan base.  In a way, it worked.  Look at the attendance at MSG the last few years.  I think the casual St. John's fans definitely came out of the woodwork.

Problem is it became very apparent he couldn't coach and, more importantly, wouldn't put in the effort required to take this program to the next level.  Shame on him, but also shame on the university for letting it get to that level.  At the end of the day, it'll be refreshing to have a head coach who actually is willing to roll up the sleeves and at least attempt to get the job done.

Marillac

« Reply #431 on: April 14, 2019, 01:18:05 PM »

🙄

« Reply #432 on: April 14, 2019, 01:20:25 PM »
They don't want to fork over the buyout and want a bigger name.

I can understand that.  Just better not be a first time head coach.  GSJ and Scheyer shouldn't even be options for this job.  St. John's doesn't need on the job training yet again.

« Reply #433 on: April 14, 2019, 01:21:28 PM »

I think Slice is still on the payroll also

« Reply #434 on: April 14, 2019, 01:22:48 PM »

Thank god, Mike Brey?

Foad

« Reply #435 on: April 14, 2019, 01:31:16 PM »
I highly doubt he ever said No Coach K.

You didn't spit that out, did you Cragg?

No Coach K.

« Reply #436 on: April 14, 2019, 01:35:23 PM »
You didn't spit that out, did you Cragg?

No Coach K.

Still think he answered

Maybe Coach K?

« Reply #437 on: April 14, 2019, 01:41:15 PM »
I wouldn't want him fired even it they dropped 100 on us twice. That's because I know from his track record which is a proven body of work that the guy builds winners. He did it in the HS and college ranks.

I agree that he could do well here for many years if he brings in some good recruiters with him. It also sounds like he's extremely well liked by the NYC HS coaching community which carries some weight.

In regards to the buyout I'd probably still do it because it will look like small potatoes if he ends up building a consistent winner here.

I would definitely be concerned with recruiting. He has never gone head to head with a high D-1 coach for a recruit.

He has dominated teams in the MAAC with better talent something I’m not sure he would be able to do in the BE.

Dan

« Reply #438 on: April 14, 2019, 01:42:06 PM »
brey sounds like a pipe dream

TONYD3

« Reply #439 on: April 14, 2019, 01:46:12 PM »

I believe in Cragg!