New Coach

• 840 replies
Re: New Coach
« Reply #660 on: April 18, 2019, 02:00:58 PM »
Called it

« Reply #661 on: April 18, 2019, 02:09:43 PM »
Mike Boynton is not a serious candidate. Has $7 million buyout which is double what Hurley's was.

Just a quick question, where did you find that? Quick search at work I found that if he left for another team before March 2020, Boynton had to pay 75% of the remaining compensation on his contract. He only signed a 5 years $6 million contract. Unless I read that completely wrong, which is possible. Also wouldn’t doubt it since T. Boone Pickens pockets are deep. I have seen on Twitter that Boynton is still in the mix, but who knows.

Foad

« Reply #662 on: April 18, 2019, 02:10:12 PM »
The Coaching Changes twitter handle- allegedly run by a couple of plugged in assistants from around the country, who've been spot on throughout this nightmare- alleging that Looie put the kibosh on Cluess. Which, for this Mickey Mouse university, is simultaneously unimaginable and completely plausible.

If Lou had that much power wouldn't he have put the kibosh of pushing Mullin out the door?

Johnny23

« Reply #663 on: April 18, 2019, 02:17:27 PM »
Hopefully Repole's interview left Gimpy/Oliva/the uesless Board embarrassed as hell and real changes are made.

Probably won't change anything but you never know.

« Reply #664 on: April 18, 2019, 02:27:09 PM »
Hire Obama and you can satisfy both objectives

Don't you mean his brother-in-law Craig Robinson?

Marillac

« Reply #665 on: April 18, 2019, 02:32:17 PM »
James Jones is a disaster. Wow.

Tim Cluess made this search mistake proof and still St. John’s managed to mess it up.

« Reply #666 on: April 18, 2019, 02:36:02 PM »
Mike Repole mentioned that the administration would not give CM the "resources" and were, in essence, setting him up to fail. Yet despite that there was progression each year culminating in reaching the tourney ... of course, CM still needed to learn more about how to sustain progress towards the end of the season but a learning curve was being demonstrated.

Say the resources CM was asking for was a package with an xs and os assistant coach and a 2 year extension which the administration turned down. It now seems that it was not Cragg blocking CM from getting access to those resources but would have been the most cost effective and stable option. Then you have the administration low balling Hurley. Now that the s**t hit the fan and no one will come here or perhaps will come here if there is big, big money.

Was this the genius plan all along? :) 
No doubt canning Hollywood was a mistake and the early returns on Mullin's leaving point to the same.  Sacking two coaches in a row off of tournament bids for this coaching lottery? Very strange indeed.

« Reply #667 on: April 18, 2019, 02:40:00 PM »
Serious question:
Are we the only team in all of Div 1 basketball without a head coach at the moment?

Bill Coen and Will Brown

« Reply #668 on: April 18, 2019, 02:43:12 PM »
James Jones is a disaster. Wow.

Tim Cluess made this search mistake proof and still St. John’s managed to mess it up.
I heard he can recruit north of 125th street.

« Reply #669 on: April 18, 2019, 02:53:57 PM »
Len Elmore from Twitter - who was planning on attending SJU before Lou buggered off to the NBA - is a former NBA player who calls St John's games for Fox. I didn't say I agreed with him, you said who cares, I said this guy does.

I didn't think you agreed with what he said, I was just being satirical in my response to you regarding his quote. I appreciate you pointing out that Lenny cares. I completely disagree with his position. This whole process has been very upsetting to me. I'm not sure about anyone else but I have a newfound respect for Mullin and what he accomplished knowing how ill equipped he was. I really hope the fan base and media can unite to put the pressure on for a complete housecleaning so Cragg can operate without restraint.

Marillac

« Reply #670 on: April 18, 2019, 02:55:02 PM »
I heard he can recruit north of 125th street.

Well he hasn’t. Ever. He also hasn’t recruited a scholarship player in 20 years. He’s a loser. 16 years into his career he had a losing record. He won’t get 16 months of that here.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 03:10:15 PM by Marillac »

sju89tr

« Reply #671 on: April 18, 2019, 03:06:00 PM »
I take at least half of what Repole said with a grain of salt, sounds like he didn't get his way more than once.

I don't think Lou has anything to do with the Cluess situation. I couldn't really even gather from the interview that Cragg wanted Cluess either.

Repole did more damage than good IMHO

The Pres is going nowhere (nor the Board) as a result of the basketball program.

Repole also gave Mullin a big pass for which Mullin deserves a lot of the blame.       
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 03:06:15 PM by sju89tr »

Foad

« Reply #672 on: April 18, 2019, 03:13:15 PM »
Well he hasn’t. Ever. He also hasn’t recruited a scholarship player in 20 years. He’s a loser. 16 years into his career he had a losing record. He won’t get 16 months of that here.

St John's only gets rid of coaches who make the tournament. This guy looks to be pretty safe for the near future.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #673 on: April 18, 2019, 03:18:39 PM »
I take at least half of what Repole said with a grain of salt, sounds like he didn't get his way more than once.

I don't think Lou has anything to do with the Cluess situation. I couldn't really even gather from the interview that Cragg wanted Cluess either.

Repole did more damage than good IMHO

The Pres is going nowhere (nor the Board) as a result of the basketball program.

Repole also gave Mullin a big pass for which Mullin deserves a lot of the blame.       

Three things:

1) He was categorical that Cluess should be hired, or if not, a more experienced coach (left it vague).
2) He did not give Mullin a big pass. He basically said that Mullin should not have been given the job to start with but since they hired a person of his stature, the administration should have done as much in their power to ensure he succeeds, which he feels they did not. Clearly, from the way this has panned out the administration is incompetent, to say the least.
3) In my opinion, if Jones is hired, Repole's rant did not reverberate at all with admin. If a more prized coach is hired then ...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 03:19:19 PM by Ez_Uzi »

Marillac

« Reply #674 on: April 18, 2019, 03:19:32 PM »
It’s a miracle Jones wasn’t fired like his brother was from Columbia after posting 6 losing seasons in 7 years. The Jones brothers are born losers. In 35 combined seasons they have TWO total NCAA tournament appearances. They have 18 losing seasons.

The Ivy League only has eight teams.

« Reply #675 on: April 18, 2019, 03:30:37 PM »
No doubt canning Hollywood was a mistake and the early returns on Mullin's leaving point to the same.  Sacking two coaches in a row off of tournament bids for this coaching lottery? Very strange indeed.

I think Lavin peaked. I don’t think Mullin did.

cjfish

« Reply #676 on: April 18, 2019, 03:55:09 PM »
Serious question:
Are we the only team in all of Div 1 basketball without a head coach at the moment?

Bill Coen and Will Brown

Brown is excellent

« Reply #677 on: April 18, 2019, 04:01:34 PM »
Don't you mean his brother-in-law Craig Robinson?
I was being satiracal, somewhat, in saying Obama would match the request for a black coach or gay coach. Not aware of Craig Robinsons sexual orientation

Poison

« Reply #678 on: April 18, 2019, 04:04:47 PM »
Mike Repole mentioned that the administration would not give CM the "resources" and were, in essence, setting him up to fail. Yet despite that there was progression each year culminating in reaching the tourney ... of course, CM still needed to learn more about how to sustain progress towards the end of the season but a learning curve was being demonstrated.

Say the resources CM was asking for was a package with an xs and os assistant coach and a 2 year extension which the administration turned down. It now seems that it was not Cragg blocking CM from getting access to those resources but would have been the most cost effective and stable option. Then you have the administration low balling Hurley. Now that the s**t hit the fan and no one will come here or perhaps will come here if there is big, big money.

Was this the genius plan all along? :) 

I don’t buy that Mullin wasn’t given resources. He was given Barry R, and that guy lasted one season. Of course, St.John’s deserves plenty of blame, they hired him, but Mullin didn’t assemble a staff that could work together.

Yet another reason why he failed here.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 04:05:51 PM by Poison »

Foad

« Reply #679 on: April 18, 2019, 04:35:46 PM »
No Irish Need Apply: http://www.bigeastboards.com/