New Coach

• 840 replies
Re: New Coach
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2019, 11:29:18 PM »
I would honestly stop rooting for St Johns if Pitino were hired. The dude is as slimy as it gets, I don’t think there is a coach out there with more baggage.

I want a good team but I want it done by a coach/staff with some semblance of ethics esp in regards to non money related infractions.

Poison

« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2019, 11:36:43 PM »
I would honestly stop rooting for St Johns if Pitino were hired. The dude is as slimy as it gets, I don’t think there is a coach out there with more baggage.

I want a good team but I want it done by a coach/staff with some semblance of ethics esp in regards to non money related infractions.

Jim Boeheim, Roy Williams, Bruce Pearl, Kelvin Sampson etc.

Yeah, nobody worse.

What you meant to say is that with an alumni player that killed man we are in no position to point a finger.

Ever.

Let’s not forget a guy that started the largest riot in NBA history and an entire team that had no problem taking a toothless hooker home and then refusing to pay the lady.

Pitino always paid his hookers.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 11:37:28 PM by Poison »

« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2019, 11:58:46 PM »

Yeah, nobody worse.

What you meant to say is that with an alumni player that killed man we are in no position to point a finger.

Ever.

Let’s not forget a guy that started the largest riot in NBA history and an entire team that had no problem taking a toothless hooker home and then refusing to pay the lady.

You can’t honestly be comparing those guys to Pitino. Sampson called recruits too many times, Boeheim and Williams let them skip class and smoke weed or something and Pearl likes to smoke meats with his pals. Pitino allowed, knowingly or otherwise and I don’t know which is worse, high school seniors to have sex with hookers among other things.

Pitino refuses to accept any blame/culpability for what he has done. He has instead gone on the offensive.

I want no part of him, can’t be any clearer than that.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2019, 12:10:07 AM »

Yeah, nobody worse.

Ever.

Funny enough when Grand Theft Auto (Liberty City) came out, what bothered my Dad the most was when you paid the hooker, but then took the money back from her through various means (details not needed on how you got the money back).

His response was you paid for a service so it’s (almost...morally..?) wrong to cheat the computer hooker out of her computer money... She earned it, and it’s un-gentlemanly to take the money back...That’s the bridge too far.

With Pitinio and SJU, whose using who, and who will end up screwed with nothing to show for it?
Or!!!???
 Will the money be well spent and everyone leaves satisfied over the transactions of: redemption, relevance, great Big East Stories, and maybe/finally, not just one win but (wait for it!!!) multiple NCAA tournament wins!

Even if everything works out and even win the whole thing. Would you feel a little dirty about buying the game in the first place? ...I’m talking about but any GTA games now, with Pitano make it reign championship witches!!! What! what!

Cougar O' Malley

Poison

« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2019, 12:37:17 AM »
You can’t honestly be comparing those guys to Pitino. Sampson called recruits too many times, Boeheim and Williams let them skip class and smoke weed or something and Pearl likes to smoke meats with his pals. Pitino allowed, knowingly or otherwise and I don’t know which is worse, high school seniors to have sex with hookers among other things.

Pitino refuses to accept any blame/culpability for what he has done. He has instead gone on the offensive.

I want no part of him, can’t be any clearer than that.

Just about everything you wrote isn’t true.

Poison

« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2019, 02:37:51 AM »
Funny enough when Grand Theft Auto (Liberty City) came out, what bothered my Dad the most was when you paid the hooker, but then took the money back from her through various means (details not needed on how you got the money back).

His response was you paid for a service so it’s (almost...morally..?) wrong to cheat the computer hooker out of her computer money... She earned it, and it’s un-gentlemanly to take the money back...That’s the bridge too far.

With Pitinio and SJU, whose using who, and who will end up screwed with nothing to show for it?
Or!!!???
 Will the money be well spent and everyone leaves satisfied over the transactions of: redemption, relevance, great Big East Stories, and maybe/finally, not just one win but (wait for it!!!) multiple NCAA tournament wins!

Even if everything works out and even win the whole thing. Would you feel a little dirty about buying the game in the first place? ...I’m talking about but any GTA games now, with Pitano make it reign championship witches!!! What! what!

I don’t think Pitino is a realistic option. He’s not going to get past the blind gate keepers at St.John’s.

I say blind because the University tops anything Pitino has ever done.

He’s too good for St.John’s.

« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2019, 07:26:57 AM »
Just about everything you wrote isn’t true.

Obviously I simplified but the most important thing to me is that Pitino has not accepted responsibility. That is 100% true

SJUFAN

« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2019, 11:57:46 AM »
Obviously I simplified but the most important thing to me is that Pitino has not accepted responsibility. That is 100% true

Not too late for him to repent. He’s a better coach, will cost less, and he will bring instant credibility to our program. To me it’s a no brained.

« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2019, 12:00:58 PM »
Not too late for him to repent. He’s a better coach, will cost less, and he will bring instant credibility to our program. To me it’s a no brained.

completely agree, does Cragg want a championship program, Hurley is fine, but Pitino makes the most sense financially.

sju89tr

« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2019, 12:33:47 PM »
I don't care if Pitino accepts responsibility. He is not going to apologize. If he were hired at SJU he would be closely watched and on a tight leash. His assistants will be closely watched. With that said, he can get kids to come because he puts kids in the pros. He is one of a handful of coaches that is arms and lengths above the others. I still think it's a long shot though.     

SJUFAN

« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2019, 02:13:36 PM »

What top program you know operates like that? You don’t think Puke does shady stuff. I’m not advocating for shady business, he doesn’t need to. Those programs are different.

I’m really tired of this “holy than thou” mentality. The Catholic Church hid the fact that boys were being fondled for decades. They still receive plenty of support. Pitino is one of the greatest basketball minds of our era. He hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down. This is a gift to us. This could change our place in history. But no cause he made a couple of poor decisions?

If we can land Pitino and choose otherwise I will seriously consider being done with this program. Why are we doing this if not to be the best, if not to win it all? MSG will be bananas. Get it done. Get it done.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 02:23:02 PM by SJUFAN »

Johnny23

« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2019, 02:27:53 PM »
What top program you know operates like that? You don’t think Puke does shady stuff. I’m not advocating for shady business, he doesn’t need to. Those programs are different.

I’m really tired of this “holy than thou” mentality. The Catholic Church hid the fact that boys were being fondled for decades. They still receive plenty of support. Pitino is one of the greatest basketball minds of our era. He hasn’t shown any signs of slowing down. This is a gift to us. This could change our place in history. But no cause he made a couple of poor decisions?

If we can land Pitino and choose otherwise I will seriously consider being done with this program. Why are we doing this if not to be the best, if not to win it all? MSG will be bananas. Get it done. Get it done.

Bingo. You nailed it. The decision on who the next coach will be will tell us all we need to know about how serious St. John's is about their basketball program. If they don't go big then they will always be a middling, small-time program. If they go big, then we can start raising our expectation level.

This hire will tell us all we need to know about how much importance this school puts on its main sports program.

« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2019, 02:30:04 PM »

I seriously doubt Pitino would put himself in another position to even potentially tarnish his image even more. Even if he's straight up with coaching/recruiting and operates at 70% efficiency, we are still a top program in 3 years.  I think he would come on Mullin's salary, no need to play bid/ask games with Hurley, just go with Rick. We will not get another opportunity to hire a HOF coach still capable of coaching.  The Hurleytype coaches will always be available. Pitino is a generational coach.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 02:31:41 PM by buckeyestorm »

boo3

« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2019, 07:36:35 PM »
It's going to be Cluess.  By end of weekend.

Marillac

« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2019, 08:12:57 PM »
https://www.zagsblog.com/2019/04/10/sources-st-johns-is-talking-to-ionas-tim-cluess/

Scheyer and Cluess? Either this is due diligence or Cragg is a lightweight. There is no middle ground.

« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2019, 08:26:53 PM »
Scheyer and Cluess? Either this is due diligence or Cragg is a lightweight. There is no middle ground.

Didn't see scheyer in article

sju89tr

« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2019, 08:31:34 PM »
It sounds like we don't have money for Hurley. We are going to settle for Cluess or another Norm Roberts type. This is really disheartening. 

boo3

« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2019, 08:33:40 PM »
Pitino isn't an option.

Hurley's wife loves Arizona

Coach Cluess..   

Should be fun

« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2019, 09:06:25 PM »
If Cragg parted ways with Chris Mullin, the greatest player in the program’s history, coming off an NCAA appearance so that he could hire Tim Cluess, he should be immediately fired before making any more decisions. I am going to hope that this rumor is not true. Perhaps he is doing this as a negotiating strategy with Hurley or Pitino, that would actually make some sense.