New Coach

• 840 replies
Re: New Coach
« Reply #280 on: April 12, 2019, 10:36:11 AM »
You have zero idea if he will be a success or not. However his track record suggests that he will be. It doesn't matter what level you coach at.

Do you think Wisconsin thought twice before hiring Bo Ryan because he toiled in the the D2 ranks for years before getting the job in Madison?

What is with some of you people?

You backed a losser like Mullin who clearly was a failure here. That is a fact, record wise over 4 years.

Yet you don't want a guy who's been to 6 tourneys in the last 9 years because he's at a MAAC school.

Open your eyes and learn how to back a winner. Not a boyhood hero who couldn't win as a coach at the CYO level.

Yes, it does matter the level that you're coaching at. It's frankly asinine to say it doesn't matter. Once you get to a power conference, the ability to recruit is more important than X and O coaching.

While obviously, Mullin had his faults, to cast him off, lose basically our entire returning roster structure, buy him out, only to turn around and hire a 60yr old MAAC coach is far from ideal.

Embrace the Mid-major label. That's what we are if this hire goes through. Which apparently many here are fine with.

« Reply #281 on: April 12, 2019, 10:42:38 AM »
Yes, it does matter the level that you're coaching at. It's frankly asinine to say it doesn't matter. Once you get to a power conference, the ability to recruit is more important than X and O coaching.

While obviously, Mullin had his faults, to cast him off, lose basically our entire returning roster structure, buy him out, only to turn around and hire a 60yr old MAAC coach is far from ideal.

Embrace the Mid-major label. That's what we are if this hire goes through. Which apparently many here are fine with.

Don't bother. He doesn't get it.

Poison

« Reply #282 on: April 12, 2019, 10:51:33 AM »

Give me a brain over a salesman. Cluess is going to do well here.

sju89tr

« Reply #283 on: April 12, 2019, 10:58:26 AM »
I am hoping that Cluess doesn't come to SJU. I will take my chances with a higher ceiling guy. I do not think for a minute that Cluess can replicate anything he has done at Iona at St Johns. Question to the fan base, don't we want to be more like Nova, Marquette, Xavier or do we want to be at best Providence. With Cluess I honestly believe we are battling with DePaul.   

Foad

« Reply #284 on: April 12, 2019, 11:00:36 AM »
Do you think it's possible that Mullin stunk at the end of the season with talented upperclassmen and that's why he was fired? Could losing 6 of 8 games down the stretch have anything to do with it?

Cragg fired what was wrong with the program.

I think that firing coaches as soon as they make the NCAA tournament is dumb. Which is what St John's has been doing for 30 years.

Foad

« Reply #285 on: April 12, 2019, 11:02:03 AM »
Give me a brain

Whatever you say scarecrow.

Poison

« Reply #286 on: April 12, 2019, 11:08:35 AM »
I think that firing coaches as soon as they make the NCAA tournament is dumb. Which is what St John's has been doing for 30 years.

Having watching the lone NCAA tournament game that we played under Coach Mullin, wouldn’t you have preferred that we didn’t make it?

« Reply #287 on: April 12, 2019, 11:10:34 AM »

+1 100% agree 212.  Everyone is underselling how important recruiting is at this level.  To say "it doesn't matter what level you coach at" is a laughably bad take by Johnny23.   

sju89tr

« Reply #288 on: April 12, 2019, 11:13:30 AM »
+1 100% agree 212.  Everyone is underselling how important recruiting is at this level.  To say "it doesn't matter what level you coach at" is a laughably bad take by Johnny23.   

Recruiting is 80% of the game in my opinion. Yes a school with a bunch of good basketball players and a fine coach can beat a better team on any given night. Talent usually wins out. The local prep scene is full of shit saying that they would send their talent to Cluess.   

SJUFAN

« Reply #289 on: April 12, 2019, 11:23:08 AM »
Having watching the lone NCAA tournament game that we played under Coach Mullin, wouldn’t you have preferred that we didn’t make it?

I thought about that after our loss. If the alternative were we made a run at the NIT title then yes. But then again we could have gotten bounced in the first round as well so, no.

Poison

« Reply #290 on: April 12, 2019, 11:32:17 AM »
I thought about that after our loss. If the alternative were we made a run at the NIT title then yes. But then again we could have gotten bounced in the first round as well so, no.

The team had nothing left. How anyone can think that isn't 100% on the coach is amazing.

SJUFAN

« Reply #291 on: April 12, 2019, 11:35:11 AM »
Recruiting is 80% of the game in my opinion. Yes a school with a bunch of good basketball players and a fine coach can beat a better team on any given night. Talent usually wins out. The local prep scene is full of shit saying that they would send their talent to Cluess.   

It requires both. We had talent Mullins last two years, and Lavins years. Good coaching goes a long way. It’s not x’s and o’s. I hate that term. All coaches know X’s and O’s. The difference is in their ability to teach it. It’s no different than any good or bad teacher. They have the passion and the knowledge, just not good teachers.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #292 on: April 12, 2019, 11:37:18 AM »

I think a logical and strategic plan by the AD would have been to negotiate a contingency with CM. For example, in 2019-20 you make the NCAA tournament again, and finish with a .500 BE record, and I will extend you for another 4-6 years. This is of course based on 2 years of the contract remaining, and also based on the fact that every year there was a progression (perhaps not ideal but nonetheless) and having faith in the ability of CM and another incoming assistant to learn to ramp up performance within the season (and not only across the seasons) might have been the best option rather than the current delusionments. 

« Reply #293 on: April 12, 2019, 11:46:29 AM »
Definitely agree 89.  Plus I think that talent is even more important at this high major level.  Hopefully this time we can get a coach who can both recruit and coach them up.

SJUFAN

« Reply #294 on: April 12, 2019, 11:53:02 AM »
I think a logical and strategic plan by the AD would have been to negotiate a contingency with CM. For example, in 2019-20 you make the NCAA tournament again, and finish with a .500 BE record, and I will extend you for another 4-6 years. This is of course based on 2 years of the contract remaining, and also based on the fact that every year there was a progression (perhaps not ideal but nonetheless) and having faith in the ability of CM and another incoming assistant to learn to ramp up performance within the season (and not only across the seasons) might have been the best option rather than the current delusionments. 

Know one else believes it’s odd that Mullin would walk away for not receiving a contract extension with 2 years remaining on his current deal? Just doesn’t sound right. If true, that is not a good look for Mullin.

« Reply #295 on: April 12, 2019, 11:54:29 AM »
F*ck the NCAA.  Hire Pitino and see where he takes us.  Can’t be worse than what we’ve been through. 

« Reply #296 on: April 12, 2019, 11:55:12 AM »
GSJ per Zags is meeting with the AD today.

goredmen

« Reply #297 on: April 12, 2019, 11:56:23 AM »
https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/1116728232106049537

What is going on here. I guess there was a real reason GSJ called in all of those favors from his friends on social media

« Reply #298 on: April 12, 2019, 11:57:00 AM »
Dude, if he's interim coach, this board will blow up.

cjfish

« Reply #299 on: April 12, 2019, 11:57:46 AM »
F*ck the NCAA.  Hire Pitino and see where he takes us.  Can’t be worse than what we’ve been through.

Agreed.  Short but sweet post.....best post in the thread