New Coach

• 840 replies

Ez_Uzi

Re: New Coach
« Reply #300 on: April 12, 2019, 12:01:17 PM »
Know one else believes it’s odd that Mullin would walk away for not receiving a contract extension with 2 years remaining on his current deal? Just doesn’t sound right. If true, that is not a good look for Mullin.
I agree with you. However, if this is an issue of performance management and the AD is demanding a level of performance from CM for next season, I believe the latitude to secure the assistant CM wanted should have been extended (if indeed this was the case). These are normally the agreed rules of improved performance agreements ... you provide me with the (reasonable) resources i need and I will deliver on your demands. The other what if is what if the AD does not know what how to negotiate performance improvements. 

« Reply #301 on: April 12, 2019, 12:02:37 PM »
If we're going to hire Cluess we should have just held onto Mullin, given him another year on his contract so he has 3 years and he could have gotten a good assistant. Still hoping for Pitino. I feel like the longer it takes the better chance we have. He's really the only logical hire at this point IMHO.

Foad

« Reply #302 on: April 12, 2019, 12:21:32 PM »
Having watching the lone NCAA tournament game that we played under Coach Mullin, wouldn’t you have preferred that we didn’t make it?

No. I was as excited by our NCAA appearance as I was by the Robert Morris NIT game.

Dan

« Reply #303 on: April 12, 2019, 12:41:06 PM »
If Greg St. Jean is the coach may as well give up. Guy doesn't seem ready.

Poison

« Reply #304 on: April 12, 2019, 12:43:24 PM »
If Greg St. Jean is the coach may as well give up. Guy doesn't seem ready.

We would be asked to somehow believe that he’s a genius because he’s the mind behind everything.

Only we need a new mind.

Poison

« Reply #305 on: April 12, 2019, 12:51:30 PM »
If we're going to hire Cluess we should have just held onto Mullin, given him another year on his contract so he has 3 years and he could have gotten a good assistant. Still hoping for Pitino. I feel like the longer it takes the better chance we have. He's really the only logical hire at this point IMHO.

That’s missing the point. Mullin is the problem. Why are we replacing others so he can appear to be good at this?

Let’s get a coach who is good at this. Tim Cluess is a head coach who is good at his job. No need to overthink it.

wpc77

« Reply #306 on: April 12, 2019, 01:02:25 PM »
Not sure why everyone thinks Cluess is a done deal.  It's not based on what I know about Brey being contacted still.  Seems like SJU is contacting or interviewing multiple options despite what the mavens and chubby fishes (words used purposefully) on Twitter are tweeting.

Still might end up being Cluess but it's not done

« Reply #307 on: April 12, 2019, 01:09:09 PM »
Not sure why everyone thinks Cluess is a done deal.  It's not based on what I know about Brey being contacted still.  Seems like SJU is contacting or interviewing multiple options despite what the mavens and chubby fishes (words used purposefully) on Twitter are tweeting.

Still might end up being Cluess but it's not done
Thanks for the info wpc77.  When you say Brey being contacted still do you mean within the last two days since all of this Cluess stuff has been going on?  I know others had said there was a phone conversation between Cragg and Brey during the first few days of the search but if they're speaking again that would be very interesting news to me.

« Reply #308 on: April 12, 2019, 01:13:14 PM »
Thanks for the info wpc77.  When you say Brey being contacted still do you mean within the last two days since all of this Cluess stuff has been going on?  I know others had said there was a phone conversation between Cragg and Brey during the first few days of the search but if they're speaking again that would be very interesting news to me.

Brey is a good coach, but why would he come here?  He's seemed set and popular at Notre Dame for awhile now, unless the fans and administration are getting restless because of the last few years, but that's more because Notre Dame does not belong in the ACC, IMO.

I'd probably take him if offered, because he has the track record, but I have to think something's fishy, if he's leaving Notre Dame for here.

Poison

« Reply #309 on: April 12, 2019, 01:17:43 PM »
Brey is a good coach, but why would he come here?  He's seemed set and popular at Notre Dame for awhile now, unless the fans and administration are getting restless because of the last few years, but that's more because Notre Dame does not belong in the ACC, IMO.

I'd probably take him if offered, because he has the track record, but I have to think something's fishy, if he's leaving Notre Dame for here.

Brey would be a terrific hire. Maybe he’d like to not live in Indiana? That’s a pretty fantastic reason.

goredmen

« Reply #310 on: April 12, 2019, 01:23:00 PM »
Brey would laugh us off the phone as soon as we called. The only reason he would give us the time of day is if he thinks he can squeeze more $ out of ND like Hurley did with ASU.

If money was an obstacle for us getting Hurley how in the world would it not be for Brey?

Furthermore, if money is an issue for anybody, how are we going to bring in high quality assistants regardless of who the head coach ultimately is? They cost money too

« Reply #311 on: April 12, 2019, 01:23:27 PM »
Goodman is predicting Ryan Odom.  I don't like the idea of kicking out Mullin for anything less than a Pitino or Hurley, but if we're not getting a high major coach in here, I would prefer an up and comer to some like Cluess.  I don't think Cluess is a bad coach, but we basically know what he is at this point, he's 60 years old and he's not going to change.  I don't know anything about Odom, but someone along those lines would be acceptable I guess.

Ryan Odom can coach..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Odom

goredmen

« Reply #312 on: April 12, 2019, 01:24:26 PM »

goredmen

« Reply #313 on: April 12, 2019, 01:25:50 PM »
Ryan Odom a far better choice than Porter Moser IMO

wpc77

« Reply #314 on: April 12, 2019, 01:26:42 PM »

they had a couple of calls over past few days. It's unlikely but my understanding is he's running down several options and cluess is not at all final.  there are angles that we are not aware of with different guys, of course.

« Reply #315 on: April 12, 2019, 01:28:35 PM »
Ryan Odom a far better choice than Porter Moser IMO

I would take Ryan Odom over Cluess. Either way its a 4 year rebuild gig unless you bring in Slick.

redslope

« Reply #316 on: April 12, 2019, 01:31:47 PM »

why leave--same reason as we have coach vacancy--"what have you done for us lately".  Last 2 years 35 W's and 11 W's in conference (CM 37 and 12 and what has happened here)

« Reply #317 on: April 12, 2019, 01:31:57 PM »
they had a couple of calls over past few days. It's unlikely but my understanding is he's running down several options and cluess is not at all final.  there are angles that we are not aware of with different guys, of course.
Thanks for the info. Great to hear that Cragg is doing more then just what the "reporters" are reporting.

sju89tr

« Reply #318 on: April 12, 2019, 01:33:41 PM »
I would take Ryan Odom over Cluess. Either way its a 4 year rebuild gig unless you bring in Slick.

I think Odom would be a great choice. I have said this on twitter. Upside. Father was Dave Odom. Need to look at big picture. Not mediocrity at best.   

« Reply #319 on: April 12, 2019, 01:36:40 PM »
Brey would laugh us off the phone as soon as we called. The only reason he would give us the time of day is if he thinks he can squeeze more $ out of ND like Hurley did with ASU.

If money was an obstacle for us getting Hurley how in the world would it not be for Brey?

Furthermore, if money is an issue for anybody, how are we going to bring in high quality assistants regardless of who the head coach ultimately is? They cost money too
I would assume it's very unlikely we would get him but he makes almost the exact same amount as Hurley at 2.4 with apparently no buy out.  Weirdly enough only half of his salary is paid by the school and the other half is paid by play by play sports. I have no idea what that means.
https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/