New Coach

• 840 replies

wpc77

Re: New Coach
« Reply #320 on: April 12, 2019, 01:36:44 PM »
I think Odom would be a great choice. I have said this on twitter. Upside. Father was Dave Odom. Need to look at big picture. Not mediocrity at best.   

I agree - if you strike out with the biggers names (which we probably will), would rather have this guys as coach

sju89tr

« Reply #321 on: April 12, 2019, 01:40:25 PM »
I agree - if you strike out with the biggers names (which we probably will), would rather have this guys as coach

We are going to strike out with the bigger names for a variety of reasons.
1. We are not that great a gig
2. We don't have the money 
3. We will be used to just get more money from current employer

SJU is not in the position to hire a 60 year old with no high major experience. With no NCAA tourney wins.

Go get someone who you can grow with. Due your due diligence to hire the right guy. People see W-L for Cluess and expect that to just carry over to the Big East...sorry it won't   

goredmen

« Reply #322 on: April 12, 2019, 01:46:48 PM »
I think Odom would be a great choice. I have said this on twitter. Upside. Father was Dave Odom. Need to look at big picture. Not mediocrity at best.   

Think I agree. Odom has the best chance of building something solid, getting better offers down the road but having an assistant to take over to keep the wheels chugging along

sju89tr

« Reply #323 on: April 12, 2019, 01:53:35 PM »
Think I agree. Odom has the best chance of building something solid, getting better offers down the road but having an assistant to take over to keep the wheels chugging along

Get Odom with at least Borman and you solve the NYC problem. 

« Reply #324 on: April 12, 2019, 01:54:22 PM »

This school has a bunch of cheap fU$%s, I you don't wanna pay or you cant pay, that's the same thing. Triple Ryan Odoms salary and get your ass to queens.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 01:54:49 PM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #325 on: April 12, 2019, 02:01:24 PM »
Hopefully the posts about other candidates are true. Just don't take the easy obvious choice. Do some digging there are real good coaches out there just have to find one. Good coach plus some assistants that can recruit and we're good to go.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #326 on: April 12, 2019, 02:01:47 PM »
This school has a bunch of cheap fU$%s, I you don't wanna pay or you cant pay, that's the same thing. Triple Ryan Odoms salary and get your ass to queens.

Yes the same Ryan Odom who was the Virginia assassin in NCAA tourney ... :)

Foad

« Reply #327 on: April 12, 2019, 02:18:32 PM »
Brey would be a terrific hire. Maybe he’d like to not live in Indiana? That’s a pretty fantastic reason.

"My goal has always been to be good enough to retire as the head coach at Notre Dame,” Brey, 59, said in a statement. “It sure looks like I might be able to pull that off with this extension. I am truly honored and humbled to be the head coach at the University of Notre Dame. I want to sincerely thank Notre Dame President John Jenkins and (athletic director) Jack Swarbrick for their steadfast support and commitment to our program. I’m proud of what our program has achieved in the past 18 years and I could not be more excited about what the future holds.”

« Reply #328 on: April 12, 2019, 03:00:35 PM »
The cynic in me wants us to hire Cluess and watch him fail and get fired so all the posters who attacked Mullin and now support Cluess can feel the same thing

SJUFAN

« Reply #329 on: April 12, 2019, 03:09:17 PM »
The cynic in me wants us to hire Cluess and watch him fail and get fired so all the posters who attacked Mullin and now support Cluess can feel the same thing

How do you feel?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 03:09:53 PM by SJUFAN »

wpc77

« Reply #330 on: April 12, 2019, 03:17:40 PM »
"My goal has always been to be good enough to retire as the head coach at Notre Dame,” Brey, 59, said in a statement. “It sure looks like I might be able to pull that off with this extension. I am truly honored and humbled to be the head coach at the University of Notre Dame. I want to sincerely thank Notre Dame President John Jenkins and (athletic director) Jack Swarbrick for their steadfast support and commitment to our program. I’m proud of what our program has achieved in the past 18 years and I could not be more excited about what the future holds.”

Like I said, not likely.  My bigger point was that the cluess thing is not a done deal like many/most were saying (until about an hour ago)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 03:18:26 PM by wpc77 »

Johnny23

« Reply #331 on: April 12, 2019, 03:33:35 PM »
I said several times that Odom and a few other names should all be considered. Cragg learned from all those years at Duke that you think things through and do your due diligence. That's exactly what he's doing now and ensuring no stone is unturned.

« Reply #332 on: April 12, 2019, 03:49:05 PM »
I said several times that Odom and a few other names should all be considered. Cragg learned from all those years at Duke that you think things through and do your due diligence. That's exactly what he's doing now and ensuring no stone is unturned.
Thanks for the inside info..

« Reply #333 on: April 12, 2019, 03:52:11 PM »

Spot on.  Odom and Scheyer top 2 now

Foad

« Reply #334 on: April 12, 2019, 04:14:26 PM »

Cragg got to dook 10 years into Shrewshrevski's reign. He married into the royal family. Let's not make him out to be Cardinal Richelieu.

Foad

« Reply #335 on: April 12, 2019, 04:14:48 PM »
Spot on.  Odom and Scheyer top 2 now

Spurs.

Johnny23

« Reply #337 on: April 12, 2019, 04:23:20 PM »
Cragg got to dook 10 years into Shrewshrevski's reign. He married into the royal family. Let's not make him out to be Cardinal Richelieu.

We'll settle for Father Flanagan at this point.

Poison

« Reply #338 on: April 12, 2019, 04:29:04 PM »

Retire there? I just assumed he was only kidding.

« Reply #339 on: April 12, 2019, 04:35:12 PM »
This entire thing has been a disaster from a PR standpoint and program standpoint. They should call us dysfunction U.

In since we have royally shot ourselves in the foot- these mid-major assistants and duke young assistants being vetted now are not what we need. If that happens expect a 4 year rebuild AGAIN- these guys do not want to play for that and I cannot blame then. We are going to lose money going into the program. We needed to poach a decent head coach with good recruiting connects (i.e. not Cluess) and we have failed on this mission. To push Mullin out you need to UPGRADE not downgrade.

I cannot believe I am saying this but Greg might be best bet if they are going this low. He will keep the core mostly, team knows him, may get recruits back. He has been coaching anyway for 4 years. He must be allowed to hire tier 1 assistants with Xs and Os AND recruiting however or its just step 1 again. We should have been making calls to Mark Jackson and head coaches from decent programs with blue chip backgorund but we aren't so I would rather have this then other mid-major crap and unaffiliated young assistants. Repole needs to open up his wallet if he is offering it. Don't offer if you are not going in seriously.

As a double alum of this school, I am disgusted.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 04:39:53 PM by friendofjohnnie »