New Coach

• 840 replies
Re: New Coach
« Reply #380 on: April 13, 2019, 11:35:33 AM »
as far as what CTgael said about Cluess and SJU not having contact, as of yesterday around 6pm I can confirm that as well. SJU has not discussed a buy out, nor have they been in contact with Iona.

This search is wide open.

Marillac

« Reply #381 on: April 13, 2019, 11:35:52 AM »
SJU has reached out to Mike Brey, he is coming to meet with Cragg on Monday

I guess he wants to kick Cragg in the nuts in person.

« Reply #382 on: April 13, 2019, 11:39:53 AM »
Not sure why everyone thinks Cluess is a done deal.  It's not based on what I know about Brey being contacted still.  Seems like SJU is contacting or interviewing multiple options despite what the mavens and chubby fishes (words used purposefully) on Twitter are tweeting.

Still might end up being Cluess but it's not done

I can confirm Brey has been contacted and is coming to meet with Cragg next week. I believe Monday. (didn't see this when i just posted it, wpc is correct)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 11:40:32 AM by P1NSTR1PEZ »

« Reply #383 on: April 13, 2019, 11:41:40 AM »
With speaking to someone connected and who has spoken directly to SJU board / Cragg...The Cluess to SJU is media driven and not at all coming from SJU itself.

« Reply #384 on: April 13, 2019, 11:47:03 AM »
With speaking to someone connected and who has spoken directly to SJU board / Cragg...The Cluess to SJU is media driven and not at all coming from SJU itself.

good fit  financially. MB salary is 1.2M, that's doable.

« Reply #385 on: April 13, 2019, 11:51:36 AM »

« Reply #386 on: April 13, 2019, 11:59:31 AM »
According to this Brey got 2.4 - https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

yeah, I think that was total pay. incentives, SJU could offer 2M base with incentives as well....totaling him to around 3M. don't see a buyout either.  I would take him over Cluess any day even if he's a Dookie.  Problem is all it takes is ND to extend him  and were done. Hard playing with a short stack.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 12:03:05 PM by buckeyestorm »

Marillac

« Reply #387 on: April 13, 2019, 12:09:25 PM »
yeah, I think that was total pay. incentives, SJU could offer 2M base with incentives as well....totaling him to around 3M. don't see a buyout either.  I would take him over Cluess any day even if he's a Dookie.  Problem is all it takes is ND to extend him  and were done. Hard playing with a short stack.

ND is private so they don’t need to disclose a buyout or other contract details.

The conversation starts at 3 mill per year for Brey. You have to assume a raise/extension in response to our interest. Then cost of living and income tax differential need to be accounted for.

« Reply #388 on: April 13, 2019, 12:17:28 PM »
I would love Mike Brey.

« Reply #389 on: April 13, 2019, 12:27:36 PM »
The conversation starts at 3 mill per year for Brey. You have to assume a raise/extension in response to our interest. Then cost of living and income tax differential need to be accounted for.

Unfortunately, this is where a snag with Hurley came in to play so...I'm a bit skeptical

redslope

« Reply #390 on: April 13, 2019, 12:31:06 PM »
This whole process is like choosing a pope.  I am sure a Jesuit from Argentina Pope Francis) was on no ones list.

Nothing is going to happen this w/e, so time to chill; watch the Masters or the Mets and Yankees.  Get ready for GofT and the final battle for Westeros.

goredmen

« Reply #391 on: April 13, 2019, 12:42:52 PM »
I guess he wants to kick Cragg in the nuts in person.

I've agreed with you every step of the way since this job opened on Monday. I'm concerned

wpc77

« Reply #392 on: April 13, 2019, 01:05:58 PM »
According to this Brey got 2.4 - https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

He is signed thru 2025.  But I think his buyout is based on the portion of his salary that the school pays directly, and not the portion paid thru his endowed coach donations.  Meaning the buyout is smaller than you would think, although still a big #. 

« Reply #393 on: April 13, 2019, 01:53:13 PM »
Mike Brey would be a home run, but seems as unrealistic as Pitino.

I appreciate them at least trying with bigger names before settling for Cluess though.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:53:57 PM by redstorm212 »

goredmen

« Reply #394 on: April 13, 2019, 01:56:56 PM »
Mike Brey would be a home run, but seems as unrealistic as Pitino.

Pitino is probably far more realistic. I think if we want Pitino we could have him. Cragg is probably doing Brey a favor and getting him a small raise like we and UCLA have done with every other coach in the country so far.

« Reply #395 on: April 13, 2019, 02:07:31 PM »
This whole process is like choosing a pope.  I am sure a Jesuit from Argentina Pope Francis) was on no ones list.

Nothing is going to happen this w/e, so time to chill; watch the Masters or the Mets and Yankees.  Get ready for GofT and the final battle for Westeros.

Evidently it was between Ratzinger and Bergoglio in 2005

SJUFAN

« Reply #396 on: April 13, 2019, 03:25:47 PM »
I would love Mike Brey.

I would too, can’t see it happening. I will say though that I like the way Cragg is thinking. Not interested in Cluess. If it doesn’t work out with Brey, it appears Cragg is not going to rush this. He understands the importance of this hire. I’m gaining confidence he will make the right decision.

« Reply #397 on: April 13, 2019, 03:39:11 PM »
Assuming that St.Jean is a longshot to get the job, hoping that he may be offered to stay on as AC. Seems like he could be key in keeping LJ, Williams, Roberts, etc. Would Greg stay on as AC if offered? Cluess and Brey are both 60 so might be a path for Greg to take over in 5 years. If SJU goes younger (Odom?) that still leaves opportunity for Greg to stay a few more years then get HC job elsewhere. Borman, Greg and another solid AC would be a good staff.

Foad

« Reply #398 on: April 13, 2019, 03:46:24 PM »
Assuming that St.Jean is a longshot to get the job, hoping that he may be offered to stay on as AC. Seems like he could be key in keeping LJ, Williams, Roberts, etc. Would Greg stay on as AC if offered? Cluess and Brey are both 60 so might be a path for Greg to take over in 5 years. If SJU goes younger (Odom?) that still leaves opportunity for Greg to stay a few more years then get HC job elsewhere. Borman, Greg and another solid AC would be a good staff.

You want them to hire a coach who has so little power that he has to take staff direction from Cragg? Where is the evidence Cragg knows anything about basketball? He's a glorified fundraiser.

Foad

« Reply #399 on: April 13, 2019, 03:48:16 PM »
I’m gaining confidence he will make the right decision.

Yeah, his getting played by Hurley was a real confidence booster.