New Coach

• 840 replies

Poison

Re: New Coach
« Reply #400 on: April 13, 2019, 03:54:00 PM »
You want them to hire a coach who has so little power that he has to take staff direction from Cragg? Where is the evidence Cragg knows anything about basketball? He's a glorified fundraiser.

I’ll give you evidence. He fired Mullin.

SJUFAN

« Reply #401 on: April 13, 2019, 04:00:30 PM »
Yeah, his getting played by Hurley was a real confidence booster.

He may also be getting played by Brey, but we will have zero chance if we don’t try. My confidence is him making the right selection on the coach. I like the candidates he’s looking at so far.

Marillac

« Reply #402 on: April 13, 2019, 04:07:55 PM »
Unfortunately, this is where a snag with Hurley came in to play so...I'm a bit skeptical

Snag? Is that how you describe a completely unprepared buffoon failing to anticipate the most foreseeable obstacles in hiring a coach from another school and stumbling at each and every stage of replacing a coach?

What are his qualifications to make this decision? He’s not an attorney. He hasn’t negotiated contracts or made hires. He’s added his flair to Duke’s athletic buildings like a First Lady at the White House. He’s literally more qualified for Queer Eye for the Straight guy.

But SJUFAN is gaining confidence, so there’s that.

« Reply #403 on: April 13, 2019, 04:21:15 PM »
That's hysterical Marillac !!!

Some truth to it though.  He never even had to search and hire asst coaches at Duke.  They are all in house ex players.

SJUFAN

« Reply #404 on: April 13, 2019, 04:24:00 PM »
Snag? Is that how you describe a completely unprepared buffoon failing to anticipate the most foreseeable obstacles in hiring a coach from another school and stumbling at each and every stage of replacing a coach?

What are his qualifications to make this decision? He’s not an attorney. He hasn’t negotiated contracts or made hires. He’s added his flair to Duke’s athletic buildings like a First Lady at the White House. He’s literally more qualified for Queer Eye for the Straight guy.

But SJUFAN is gaining confidence, so there’s that.

Your assessment of how he has handled this is based on a lot of mis-information. Cragg didn’t fire Mullin, he left with two years remaining on his contract. He reached out to Hurley and Hurley wasn’t interested. He’s reaching out to Brey, he may not be interested as well. He has not reached out to Cluess, who I don’t want no part of. So based on who he has reached out to I like the coaches he’s looking at.

It’s strictly from the perspective of the type of coach he’s looking at. His execution can improve but who would have thought Mullin would have quit on his beloved program.

Foad

« Reply #405 on: April 13, 2019, 04:28:30 PM »
I’ll give you evidence. He fired Mullin.

Mullin resigned stupid.

ras

« Reply #406 on: April 13, 2019, 04:34:00 PM »
I don’t think Mullin quit. I think the stepping down was for optics and he will want his 4 million dollar buyout, which makes paying for a great coach harder.

Foad

« Reply #407 on: April 13, 2019, 04:36:56 PM »
Your assessment of how he has handled this is based on a lot of mis-information. Cragg didn’t fire Mullin, he left with two years remaining on his contract. He reached out to Hurley and Hurley wasn’t interested. He’s reaching out to Brey, he may not be interested as well. He has not reached out to Cluess, who I don’t want no part of. So based on who he has reached out to I like the coaches he’s looking at.

It’s strictly from the perspective of the type of coach he’s looking at.

Other than Hurley - who's a mediocrity and who punked him - you have no idea who he's reached out to or who he's looking at.   

goredmen

« Reply #408 on: April 13, 2019, 04:44:48 PM »

It’s strictly from the perspective of the type of coach he’s looking at. His execution can improve but who would have thought Mullin would have quit on his beloved program.

The prospect of Mullin leaving was being whispered about since February. There is absolutely no chance that Cragg was completely stunned and caught off guard by Mullin's resignation aside from maybe the timing of it, one hour before the National Championship game.

There were whispers of Hurley being the top candidate to replace Mullin should he resign since February also. These were confirmed last week when he essentially formally and publicly turned the job down. That means Cragg had been well aware of the possibility of Mullin's resignation and started his back channel work to find his potential replacement in advance. This was a good move by Cragg.

It appears Cragg's mistake was not having a solid plan after Hurley. I don't think Cragg was prepared for Hurley to turn the job down and now he's scrambling a little bit. If Hurley was his top choice (which there is no denying that he was), then Cragg needed to A) Anticipate how ASU would counter and make sure he can still do enough to pry Hurley away or B) Have a strong plan B in place if he knew he wouldn't be able to match ASU's counter.

Instead Cragg is seemingly left with no plan at all. At this point it seems like the job will go to a Cluess, Odom or Scheyer type, which may end up working but whoever gets it certainly wasn't Cragg's clear plan B from the start.

Marillac

« Reply #409 on: April 13, 2019, 04:56:58 PM »

You don’t pay employees who leave. You only pay employees you fire or force to resign. You are either ignorant or stupid.

Nobody believes you have access to inside information so the rest of your post is based on your assumptions being correct.

Cragg was tricked into firing Mullin by Mike “The King Slayer” Repole — who apparently only has enough money to fire coaches and can’t find the extra 500k annually to get someone worth firing a coach over.

Cragg completely controlled the narrative. Cragg controlled 95% of the timeline. He’s botched everything from forcing Mullin out to courting Hurley to something as simple as keeping the players informed.

He has done nothing in his career to prepare him for making this decision. He stayed at Duke for 31 years by simply not getting fired and replacing more talented colleagues who other schools wanted.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 05:00:45 PM by Marillac »

kob24

« Reply #410 on: April 13, 2019, 04:57:03 PM »
What do you think of Cluess?
I think he is a good x/o coach. I see nothing wrong with getting a solid x/o coach and putting 1 or 2 pitbull recruiting coaches around him. Everyone keeps going for the home run. Build a solid foundation first. Y’all have the pedegree but for this generation of kids they won’t remeber that at all.

Foad

« Reply #411 on: April 13, 2019, 05:00:13 PM »
Instead Cragg is seemingly left with no plan at all. At this point it seems like the job will go to a Cluess, Odom or Scheyer type, which may end up working but whoever gets it certainly wasn't Cragg's clear plan B from the start.

He wanted to hire Hurley, he was rebuffed.

He should hire Pitino, he can't.

Brey leaving ND for SJ would prove that Brey's too stupid to be qualified to coach at SJ.

Cluess is too smart to take the job, plus he has no connection to dook, which evidently is disqualifying.

My sources tell me Pat Kennedy and Herb Sendek - both of whom once spoke to Coach Screwshrevski on speaker phone - are on Cragg's short list, so I'm feeling pretty confident that no stone is being left unturned at this critical juncture in the program's history.

« Reply #412 on: April 13, 2019, 05:25:16 PM »
I think he is a good x/o coach. I see nothing wrong with getting a solid x/o coach and putting 1 or 2 pitbull recruiting coaches around him. Everyone keeps going for the home run. Build a solid foundation first. Y’all have the pedegree but for this generation of kids they won’t remeber that at all.
thanks, agree with you, not sure what happens next. but a solid foundation would be a significant step forward.

SJUFAN

« Reply #413 on: April 13, 2019, 06:57:29 PM »
You don’t pay employees who leave. You only pay employees you fire or force to resign. You are either ignorant or stupid.

I like when you elaborate, it goes to show how dumb you really are. Mullin isn’t just some “employee”. So your premise isn’t practical in this particular situation.

Keep trying to convince yourself you know what your talking about. Keep those post-it’s on your bathroom mirror going, their doing a great job.

This is what we know what is going on with the coaching search...nothing. It’s all based on assumptions. The optics don’t look good, but let’s see how this plays out.

« Reply #414 on: April 13, 2019, 07:00:27 PM »
Repeats himself endlessly. Boring.
I'll repeat my question again too.

Why did the greatest St. Johns legend ever get less time than Roberts and Lavin?

« Reply #415 on: April 13, 2019, 07:05:55 PM »

Why did the greatest St. Johns legend ever get less time than Roberts and Lavin?
Learned a little something from past mistakes. Norm should have gotten much less time than he did.

SJUFAN

« Reply #416 on: April 13, 2019, 10:03:40 PM »

Cause Mullin quit on the team.

SJUFAN

« Reply #417 on: April 13, 2019, 10:49:36 PM »

Need someone to coach the defense.

Poison

« Reply #418 on: April 14, 2019, 09:10:21 AM »

Probably because the University believes that Mullin is the reason why this season wasn’t the success everyone expected it to be.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 09:10:56 AM by Poison »

TONYD3

« Reply #419 on: April 14, 2019, 09:21:50 AM »
Mullin resigned stupid.
You really believe that? Best way you could put it is he escaped before it got real bad. More truthful way to describe it is the golden boy was finally told no. He realized he would have had to actually work and decided to stay in California. He saw the shame that was coming and he left.
The fact that many of you are ignoring the facts after 4 years is funny. As boring as it is to keep repeating 20-51, that’s what happened. That’s why on April 13th their is no coach.
The Ad’s goal was not Hurley or Brey. It was just getting rid of dead weight. Goal 2 is bringing in a capable replacement willing to work.  Not Santa Claus. The AD has not failed.
Wait until next year and the difference will be obvious. Imagine having a coach who actually works full time, spends most of his months in the state of N.Y, and actually recruits and coaches the team. You know doing his job! Their is slightly more to coaching then “fxck you”

I have no idea who the next staff will be. It won’t include rich Buddies who only work part time.
Rebuild is a bad word around here. But we need one and it could be fun. Actually watching guys get better and competing.Not as fun as winning but still better then going through the motions.
Trusting the process won’t include giving lazy coaches passes as we watch 0 foundation being laid in awful seasons.