New Coach

• 840 replies

TONYD3

Re: New Coach
« Reply #440 on: April 14, 2019, 01:47:11 PM »
You didn't spit that out, did you Cragg?

No Coach K.
Told Kris Mullin’s No!

Johnny23

« Reply #441 on: April 14, 2019, 01:48:24 PM »
I would definitely be concerned with recruiting. He has never gone head to head with a high D-1 coach for a recruit.

He has dominated teams in the MAAC with better talent something I’m not sure he would be able to do in the BE.

I'd be more concerned with a guy's ability to coach, X's and O's, making adjustments in-game and watching his players get better throughout the course of the year in a well oiled system. These are all things that Cluess has proven he can do. I'd be less concerned with the recruiting as I'd take a roster of coached up 2/3 stars over underdeveloped 3/4 stars any day.

But let's not get too ahead of ourselves. I still think Cluess can build a staff with a strong recruiter or two and be in play for the 4 star kids once they see how good of a coach he is.

Also regarding his talent being better at Iona than any other MAAC school. Well he was responsible for building that program to that level and getting those talented kids to play for him. So I would consider that a plus for him as far as the recruiting goes.

Foad

« Reply #442 on: April 14, 2019, 03:01:34 PM »
brey sounds like a pipe dream

"Despite rumors, there has been no communication between @StJohnsBBall and Notre Dame’s Mike Brey, per source." Adam Zagoria.

I guess Zagoria hasn't been in touch with P!NS1TR!PTZ!Z

Poison

« Reply #443 on: April 14, 2019, 03:14:23 PM »
I would definitely be concerned with recruiting. He has never gone head to head with a high D-1 coach for a recruit.

He has dominated teams in the MAAC with better talent something I’m not sure he would be able to do in the BE.

No one asked Jay Wright to coach Nova with Hofstra’s players.

« Reply #444 on: April 14, 2019, 03:45:19 PM »
Cluess is a great coach so I hope you don’t get him. Apparently Cragg didn’t do his due diligence if the $2million to $2.5million buy out is a surprise. Iona did a great job protecting its coaching asset. Can’t wait til this is over. Brey is going to use you guys like a condom to get a deal sweetener from ND if you ever get to talk with him at all.

« Reply #445 on: April 14, 2019, 03:46:55 PM »
They don't want to fork over the buyout and want a bigger name.

My issue with this is, how entitled does this come off. Pretty damn entitled in my opinion. In what world should SJU "deserve" a bigger name? We haven't done squat in two decades, and we have the audacity to say no to coaches who have a track record of any sort...frustrating.

« Reply #446 on: April 14, 2019, 03:52:52 PM »
"Despite rumors, there has been no communication between @StJohnsBBall and Notre Dame’s Mike Brey, per source." Adam Zagoria.

I guess Zagoria hasn't been in touch with P!NS1TR!PTZ!Z

1. You can suck it.
2. I know for 100% fact a lot of the stuff Zags has tweeted the last week is 100% false, specifically about Cluess' buyout. SJU has reached out to Brey. That's a fact.

« Reply #447 on: April 14, 2019, 04:06:37 PM »
LOL. What a buffoon.

« Reply #448 on: April 14, 2019, 04:08:23 PM »
You are nothing but a mid major. Where is the line of hot coaches looking to take your bullshit job.

Foad

« Reply #449 on: April 14, 2019, 04:23:13 PM »
1. You can suck it.

Ooo. Brute.

2. I know for 100% fact a lot of the stuff Zags has tweeted the last week is 100% false, specifically about Cluess' buyout. SJU has reached out to Brey. That's a fact.

Yes no doubt you're an important program insider with lots of sources feeding you all sorts of confidential information.

Miss Moneypenny: Mr Cragg, Mike Repole is on line one.

Cragg: What!? Tell Vitamin water to hold and get me P!NSTR1P3Z! on the phone, stat! There have been developments regarding contract negotiations of which he must be immediately apprised so that he can post them on the intertubes!

Miss Moneypenny: Certainly Mr Cragg. Should I use the secure line?

Cragg: What do you think? OF COURSE! Do you think P!NZSTR!P3Z wants his cover blown? Stupid whore. Also, call Coach Shrewshevski and ask him if he knows of any recent Dook grads who can type 76 words per minute. Because you're fired!

Poison

« Reply #450 on: April 14, 2019, 05:29:14 PM »
You are nothing but a mid major. Where is the line of hot coaches looking to take your bullshit job.

We are not a mid major. A mid major is Nevada. They win tournament games. Mid majors win tournament games.

« Reply #451 on: April 14, 2019, 06:16:43 PM »
This should be a no brainer. Do whatever you have to do to get Pitino. Within a short period of time the basketball program would be respectable and in the NCAA's every year. Unfortunately, it looks like this will not happen.

cjfish

« Reply #452 on: April 14, 2019, 07:34:12 PM »
Need to look at qualified assistants like Adrian Autry, a NY kid, at Syracuse who will not get the Syracuse job because of McNamara.  There is a fine bench coach in Albany, Will Brown, coming off a poor season who might consider us.  Any coach that comes will have to be confident enough to overcome the schools rep as a graveyard for coaches.  Anyone would be risking their career here.

goredmen

« Reply #453 on: April 14, 2019, 08:49:54 PM »
Will Wade just reinstated by LSU.

Bruce Pearl just made a final 4 and got an extension and is the biggest cheater around (How do you think he got Mustapha Heron to go to Auburn in the first place).

Sean Miller still the coach at Arizona.

Andy Enfield still the coach at USC.

I could go on and on and on.

Why is Pitino not a real candidate here?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:50:30 PM by goredmen »

SJUFAN

« Reply #454 on: April 14, 2019, 09:05:44 PM »

Bruce Pearl just made a final 4 and got an extension and is the biggest cheater around (How do you think he got Mustapha Heron to go to Auburn in the first place).

Hopefully he is.

« Reply #455 on: April 15, 2019, 12:27:34 AM »
Probably because the University believes that Mullin is the reason why this season wasn’t the success everyone expected it to be.

This season was exactly the success I expected it to be. There must have been others.

Tha Kid

« Reply #456 on: April 15, 2019, 08:24:00 AM »

With them it’s just recruiting violations re potential payments to players. 

With pitino you have the same PLUS the detailed stories about what went on at the Louisville dorms plus the Karen sypher story.

I am guessing with pitino there just may be too many negatives to overcome.  Not saying there should or shouldn’t be but let’s not act like wade enfield and pearl are comparing apples to apples. 
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #457 on: April 15, 2019, 10:52:20 AM »
Need to look at qualified assistants like Adrian Autry, a NY kid, at Syracuse who will not get the Syracuse job because of McNamara.  There is a fine bench coach in Albany, Will Brown, coming off a poor season who might consider us.  Any coach that comes will have to be confident enough to overcome the schools rep as a graveyard for coaches.  Anyone would be risking their career here.

If no one ever hired assistants we’d eventually have no head coaches. But I don’t want follow a coach who started with zero experience with one that has zero experience as a head coach.

We need a coach with a proven system for developing talent.

I saw Iona play at MSG against Columbia, Iona was a mess. Passing was lazy, guys were dribbling into traffic and there was never anyone ready to board. This would finally be the season Cluess took one on the chin.

But nope.

Fast forward to the MAAC tourney and the NCAAs. This is a different team. McGill is distributing and guys are finishing strong. Crawford, who really struggled early on found his groove. Gist, who couldn’t dribble or shoot in December is now dynamite. Agee, who was just terrible in the early part of the season looked like a big man who would have started at St.John’s. He rebounds. He finishes inside, and he even knocks down threes.

They lost, sure, but Iona, with MAAC players had a better post season showing than we did.

The answer is right in front of them and they can’t see it. That is so very St.John’s.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 11:49:55 AM by Poison »

« Reply #458 on: April 15, 2019, 11:43:22 AM »

So you would consider Autrey and Brown but not Cluess. LMAO.

Poison

« Reply #459 on: April 15, 2019, 11:54:31 AM »
This season was exactly the success I expected it to be. There must have been others.

Most successful St.John’s teams were one injury away from that magical NCAA run.

What do you suppose happened to this team?