New Coach

• 840 replies

sju89tr

Re: New Coach
« Reply #500 on: April 15, 2019, 08:58:41 PM »
8 coaches 27 years, school adminstration is a disgrace, let Cragg do his job.

I don't believe for a second that Cragg wants to hire Cluess.

If he did the deal would have been in place the day Mullin was let go.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:59:04 PM by sju89tr »

Foad

« Reply #501 on: April 15, 2019, 09:07:00 PM »
https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/1117941623298641920

Clown show

I don't know who's going to win this pillow fight but either way it bodes well for the basketball program.

« Reply #502 on: April 15, 2019, 09:14:18 PM »
I don't believe for a second that Cragg wants to hire Cluess.

If he did the deal would have been in place the day Mullin was let go.

I don't care who Cragg chooses at this point, think they will both good choices. I want Cragg to make the call, that is my point. Prefer Moser, had a strong follow up year to F4 and has a good class coming in this year.

redslope

« Reply #503 on: April 15, 2019, 09:17:42 PM »
Cragg should be the only one making the decision. Oliva's another know nothing. If true shame on the higher ups.

We hired Cragg to be AD; it is his decision not Oliva's.  If Oliva wins out, we will probably need a new AD.

« Reply #504 on: April 15, 2019, 09:28:57 PM »
Exactly. If Oliva overrules Cragg, Cragg should resign. What's the point?

Foad

« Reply #505 on: April 15, 2019, 09:35:34 PM »
Prefer Moser, had a strong follow up year to F4 and has a good class coming in this year.

One NCAA appearance in 15 years of head coaching is impressive. And I'm not blinded by his 82-129 conference record since 2003. I could even get past his parents calling him Porter. But the shape of his head is off-putting: if they were looking to hire a balloon head they might as well have kept Lavin, at least he has a normal first name.

Johnny23

« Reply #506 on: April 15, 2019, 09:54:33 PM »
8 coaches 27 years, school adminstration is a disgrace, let Cragg do his job.

It's this petty way of operating at the top that makes this program small-time. The bigger programs just get it done, petty differences aside.  Cragg better be able to see this through.

Johnny23

« Reply #507 on: April 15, 2019, 09:57:06 PM »
We hired Cragg to be AD; it is his decision not Oliva's.  If Oliva wins out, we will probably need a new AD.

If Oliva wins out, it really doesn't matter who the next AD is. We will then know how the university hierarchy views the basketball program.

Poison

« Reply #508 on: April 15, 2019, 10:24:17 PM »
I don't care who Cragg chooses at this point, think they will both good choices. I want Cragg to make the call, that is my point. Prefer Moser, had a strong follow up year to F4 and has a good class coming in this year.

Cluess has shown the ability to build a program. He wins every stinking year. Different kids, but his system.

If we’re being objective, Moser has been incredibly successful, but it’s only recent. Before the last few years, he was not a successful coach.

That said, I love the intensity Moser shows on the sidelines. I think he’ll get our guys to defend.

It’s not an easy call.

« Reply #509 on: April 15, 2019, 10:43:15 PM »
Gonna regret letting GSJ go. But I agree. Would much rather 50/60 year old mid major coaches keep us mired in a state of mediocrity.

Poison

« Reply #510 on: April 15, 2019, 10:58:14 PM »
Gonna regret letting GSJ go. But I agree. Would much rather 50/60 year old mid major coaches keep us mired in a state of mediocrity.

Serious question: What is it that you see in GSJ that makes you say we’ll regret letting him go?

Some say he was really the coach and that Mullin was just a figure head there for show. Let’s assume that’s true - GSJ did a pretty lousy job.

If he is some kind of genius, where was the mid-game adjustment when Xavier was beating the snot out of us at Carnesecca? Whatever strategy we had, it failed repeatedly, and no effective changes were made. 

I’d like to hear why not if he’s to be retained in some capacity.

« Reply #511 on: April 15, 2019, 11:03:11 PM »
They aren’t calling Mark Jackson because he’s bananas.

He is never getting this job. He’s probably never getting any coaching job.

Define bananas because his hard core style and discipline fits the college game more than the NBA game. He went to this school, he knows this area, he has a national profile and had coached the WARRIORS yes the WARRIORS. Brought them to being relevant and Kerr takes over and finishes the job. Plus as a point guard you know there are no Xs and Os issues. Kids need discipline, pros won't take you seriously, kids will because they want to get there. Even if he was not hired he deserved a phone call.

Just look at what this program has become we have MID-MAJOR coaches as finalists and we are supposed to be proud of that?? Might as well leave the Big East and join the A-10 or MAAC if this is where they want the program to be. I am not spending money at MSG or donating money to watch a mid-major team with 2 and 3 stars get bull-dozed by real teams. Rather watch on TV. We all should be disgusted.

« Reply #512 on: April 15, 2019, 11:08:10 PM »
Curious. What makes you think Jackson would be in even slightly interested in this shitty dead end job?

Good point, but I think he would at least take a phone call. Chance to clear his name in friendly territory. Nice story to save your alma mater. Will show he is program builder and can translate winning to the college level as well. That those Warriors teams were not flukes and he should be a respected coach. Frankly, after Lav was gone I thought he should have been the phone call, not Mullin. I actually told that to a very high-up athletic admin right after Lav was let go.

goredmen

« Reply #513 on: April 15, 2019, 11:24:42 PM »

« Reply #514 on: April 15, 2019, 11:40:46 PM »
Serious question: What is it that you see in GSJ that makes you say we’ll regret letting him go?

Some say he was really the coach and that Mullin was just a figure head there for show. Let’s assume that’s true - GSJ did a pretty lousy job.

If he is some kind of genius, where was the mid-game adjustment when Xavier was beating the snot out of us at Carnesecca? Whatever strategy we had, it failed repeatedly, and no effective changes were made. 

I’d like to hear why not if he’s to be retained in some capacity.

I’ve elaborated on this before but: what we know he does is draw up excellent out of bounds plays. He is all energy and all basketball.
 Word is he runs practices as efficiently as they come. Players like him. He has NBA connects.

St Jean is a guy we can expect to grow and learn. I wouldn’t expect a tourney appearance his first year. What I do expect is progress and a high ceiling. St Jean is a sexy pick. I want sexy.

« Reply #515 on: April 15, 2019, 11:46:36 PM »
Most successful St.John’s teams were one injury away from that magical NCAA run.

What do you suppose happened to this team?
I don't understand your post.

Poison

« Reply #516 on: April 15, 2019, 11:47:20 PM »
I’ve elaborated on this before but: what we know he does is draw up excellent out of bounds plays. He is all energy and all basketball.
 Word is he runs practices as efficiently as they come. Players like him. He has NBA connects.

St Jean is a guy we can expect to grow and learn. I wouldn’t expect a tourney appearance his first year. What I do expect is progress and a high ceiling. St Jean is a sexy pick. I want sexy.

I’ve seen no evidence of any of this other than talk like this on message boards.

Why didn’t GSJ draw something up at home against Providence when their freshman ate our frontcourt alive?

I’m ready to move on from this staff.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 11:49:16 PM by Poison »

goredmen

« Reply #517 on: April 15, 2019, 11:48:44 PM »
I think I see white smoke emanating from the roof of Taffner

Poison

« Reply #518 on: April 15, 2019, 11:50:47 PM »
I don't understand your post.

Mullin happened. Adjustments were needed, and he didn’t make them. He was the team’s equivalent to an injury.

goredmen

« Reply #519 on: April 15, 2019, 11:54:50 PM »
Better surround this guy with some bigtime recruiters