New Coach

• 840 replies

Poison

Re: New Coach
« Reply #540 on: April 16, 2019, 09:22:24 AM »
No, professional lickspittle Cragg doing Oliva's bidding by hiring an up and coming 50 years old elite coach with a .500 career record and 7 losing seasons out of 15. Yes Mister Oliva, No Mister Oliva, whatever you say Mister Oliva.

So, I see you are reading Zach on Twitter. Nice.

Foad

« Reply #541 on: April 16, 2019, 09:47:13 AM »
So, I see you are reading Zach on Twitter

Not since like 2015, when he blocked me. It was right after Ron Linfonte. I remember it like it was 2015.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #542 on: April 16, 2019, 10:02:09 AM »
Blockbuster hire ... see Norm part deux opening this summer in theatres near you ...

« Reply #543 on: April 16, 2019, 10:18:15 AM »
I didn't understand this hire, or know much about Moser besides what his record said etc. So I spent about 3 hrs yesterday talking to Chicago people and reading about him. He's Chicago through and through. His parents are too. They've given a lot of $ to Chicago, and have some building or structure named after the Moser name. He also comes from money from what I read so that's not really a big factor here. After teh final four run he got a raise from $420k to approx 700-800k and an extension through 2025. Coming to SJU doesn't make sense for him. He also has 4 kids in their teens. I can easily see him saying no to us for family reasons and being chicago all the way, probably waiting for DePaul

Poison

« Reply #544 on: April 16, 2019, 10:19:14 AM »
Blockbuster hire ... see Norm part deux opening this summer in theatres near you ...

It seems unfair that Porter Moser would be compared to Norm Roberts since Norm Roberts couldn't win a game in the NIT or even the CBI. He was 0 for everything.

Imagine if Norm took DJ Kennedy's junior year squad to the FF. That's basically was Moser did. Moser really hadn't been successful until very recently. Personally, I'd like to know what adjustments he made? Did he bring in a savvy recruiter? Bring that guy with you to NY. And should Krutwig like to take his talents to Queens, that would be pretty fantastic, too. He's an up and under machine with a natural feel for rebounds. He boxes out, and he makes a powerful outlet pass. Look at the improvement from year one to two. When he started the guy was a goofy mess, but he played so hard. He's been coached up.

My hope regarding Moser is that for quite some time he just wasn't a very good coach, but that he's learned how to do it, and now he is. Some people are Brad Stevens, and some are Joe Torre. Maybe this is Moser's time? One or even two wins is a fluke. Four is glory that no one can dispute. How long would a Final Four last us in terms of reaching the no bitching about anything because we are still overjoyed stage? 10 years? 25? 1?

« Reply #545 on: April 16, 2019, 10:42:37 AM »
I didn't understand this hire, or know much about Moser besides what his record said etc. So I spent about 3 hrs yesterday talking to Chicago people and reading about him. He's Chicago through and through. His parents are too. They've given a lot of $ to Chicago, and have some building or structure named after the Moser name. He also comes from money from what I read so that's not really a big factor here. After teh final four run he got a raise from $420k to approx 700-800k and an extension through 2025. Coming to SJU doesn't make sense for him. He also has 4 kids in their teens. I can easily see him saying no to us for family reasons and being chicago all the way, probably waiting for DePaul

So why would he fly all the way to NYC if he has zero interest?

sju89tr

« Reply #546 on: April 16, 2019, 10:49:55 AM »

As well as Las Vegas.

I am sure he needs to talk over all the details with the family. The media only knows bits and pieces and has been wrong on many issues with this coaching search. It looks like the current AD leaks nothing. I expect Moser to be announed today.

« Reply #547 on: April 16, 2019, 10:54:27 AM »
And he went to the Final 4 with a team that had no right being there. That's called coaching sonny. Finally a coach that works hard, knows X's and O's and teaches defense. He's hit his stride as an elite coach and we scoop him up. Great work by Cragg.

Oh and Loyola fans seem upset about their losing their star coach. Here's what one had to say:

"The alarm bell response against Porter from the outside seems to be that “he’s only had one good year!”

Far from it. He’s had one amazing year that most coaches have never had and will likely never have. He’s also had a few other good years. If you ask me, this year was in many ways one of his best years. Last years team was loaded with seniors and little expectations. This year was loaded with underclassmen, only two seniors, unprecedented hype and expectations for Loyola, and saddled with a huge injury to a key starter most of the season. And he coached them 20 wins and a conference title. Was it what we wanted? No, but it was still a good season, a season most schools would love. Oh, and he’s following it all up with a top 70 recruiting class at a mid major school."

Buddy, seriously quit justifying Poser. He barely has a .500 overall coaching record. That's coaching?

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #548 on: April 16, 2019, 10:54:31 AM »
It seems unfair that Porter Moser would be compared to Norm Roberts since Norm Roberts couldn't win a game in the NIT or even the CBI. He was 0 for everything.

Imagine if Norm took DJ Kennedy's junior year squad to the FF. That's basically was Moser did. Moser really hadn't been successful until very recently. Personally, I'd like to know what adjustments he made? Did he bring in a savvy recruiter? Bring that guy with you to NY. And should Krutwig like to take his talents to Queens, that would be pretty fantastic, too. He's an up and under machine with a natural feel for rebounds. He boxes out, and he makes a powerful outlet pass. Look at the improvement from year one to two. When he started the guy was a goofy mess, but he played so hard. He's been coached up.

My hope regarding Moser is that for quite some time he just wasn't a very good coach, but that he's learned how to do it, and now he is. Some people are Brad Stevens, and some are Joe Torre. Maybe this is Moser's time? One or even two wins is a fluke. Four is glory that no one can dispute. How long would a Final Four last us in terms of reaching the no bitching about anything because we are still overjoyed stage? 10 years? 25? 1?

By the same logic you use ... then it behoves SJU to at least have CM continue for a couple of more years and provide the assistant coach he wanted. It took Moser 7 years to get to that magical run albeit playing in a lesser league. Moreover, if you believe that a coach can learn perhaps the next learning moment (as Lavs calls them) was how to rebuild and sustain the momentum through late February and March after a lull period in late January/early Feb. Perhaps CM had the ability to learn that too as he progressed in every year ... so it is in that context this hire not only does not make sense but is rather underwhelming. Norm level underwhelming.

« Reply #549 on: April 16, 2019, 10:56:37 AM »
And he went to the Final 4 with a team that had no right being there. That's called coaching sonny. Finally a coach that works hard, knows X's and O's and teaches defense. He's hit his stride as an elite coach and we scoop him up. Great work by Cragg.

Oh and Loyola fans seem upset about their losing their star coach. Here's what one had to say:

"The alarm bell response against Porter from the outside seems to be that “he’s only had one good year!”

Far from it. He’s had one amazing year that most coaches have never had and will likely never have. He’s also had a few other good years. If you ask me, this year was in many ways one of his best years. Last years team was loaded with seniors and little expectations. This year was loaded with underclassmen, only two seniors, unprecedented hype and expectations for Loyola, and saddled with a huge injury to a key starter most of the season. And he coached them 20 wins and a conference title. Was it what we wanted? No, but it was still a good season, a season most schools would love. Oh, and he’s following it all up with a top 70 recruiting class at a mid major school."

dayum....what a great coach.

Arkansas–Little Rock Trojans (Sun Belt Conference) (2000–2003) 
2000–01  Arkansas–Little Rock  18–11 9–7 7th 
2001–02  Arkansas–Little Rock  18–11 8–6 5th 
2002–03  Arkansas–Little Rock  18–12 8–6 5th 
Arkansas–Little Rock:  54–34 (.614) 25–19 (.568) 
Illinois State Redbirds (Missouri Valley Conference) (2003–2007) 
2003–04  Illinois State  10–19 4–14 10th 
2004–05  Illinois State  17–13 8–10 6th 
2005–05  Illinois State  9–19 4–14 10th 
2006–07  Illinois State  15–16 6–12 8th 
Illinois State:  51–67 (.432) 22–50 (.306) 
Loyola Ramblers (Horizon League) (2011–2013) 
2011–12  Loyola–Chicago  7–23 1–17 10th 
2012–13  Loyola–Chicago  15–16 5–11 7th 
Loyola Ramblers (Missouri Valley Conference) (2013–present) 
2013–14  Loyola–Chicago  10–22 4–14 10th 
2014–15  Loyola–Chicago  24–13 8–10 6th CBI Champions 
2015–16  Loyola–Chicago  15–17 7–11 8th 
2016–17  Loyola–Chicago  18–14 8–10 5th 
2017–18  Loyola–Chicago  32–6 15–3 1st NCAA Division I Final Four 
2018–19  Loyola–Chicago  20–14 12–6 T–1st NIT First Round 
Loyola–Chicago:  141–125 (.530) 60–79 (.432) 
Total: 246–226 (.521)

If you want to pin your hope and dreams on 1 miracle season, by all means, go for it.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 10:57:54 AM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #550 on: April 16, 2019, 11:13:02 AM »

Sources tell me he’s heavily invested in the miles game.

lihoop

« Reply #551 on: April 16, 2019, 11:19:41 AM »
hopefully there is a backup plan if Moser declines the offer.

« Reply #552 on: April 16, 2019, 11:21:58 AM »
Tim Cluess should be hired today. Period. This circus has gone on long enough.

Foad

« Reply #553 on: April 16, 2019, 11:23:34 AM »
hopefully there is a backup plan if Moser declines the offer.

Fortunately Tom Pecora is still available

lihoop

« Reply #554 on: April 16, 2019, 11:27:38 AM »
Roster is almost empty and candidates are slim in this shallow kiddy pool. At least Heron has not entered the transfer portal yet.

« Reply #555 on: April 16, 2019, 11:30:57 AM »
Tim Cluess should be hired today. Period. This circus has gone on long enough.

What happened to Brey?

Johnny23

« Reply #556 on: April 16, 2019, 11:34:52 AM »
Moser = Norm Part Deux? What are some of you smoking? Watch this guy coach and get back to me. Norm or Mullin couldn't make a Final 4 unless they bought tix to it.

« Reply #557 on: April 16, 2019, 12:07:31 PM »
Moser = Norm Part Deux? What are some of you smoking? Watch this guy coach and get back to me. Norm or Mullin couldn't make a Final 4 unless they bought tix to it.

Or if they happened to be the player of the year in, say, 1985 for example.

goredmen

« Reply #558 on: April 16, 2019, 12:12:42 PM »
Fortunately Tom Pecora is still available

Need to keep that your avatar for as long as Porter is the coach, if he's ever the coach

Poison

« Reply #559 on: April 16, 2019, 12:22:25 PM »
By the same logic you use ... then it behoves SJU to at least have CM continue for a couple of more years and provide the assistant coach he wanted. It took Moser 7 years to get to that magical run albeit playing in a lesser league. Moreover, if you believe that a coach can learn perhaps the next learning moment (as Lavs calls them) was how to rebuild and sustain the momentum through late February and March after a lull period in late January/early Feb. Perhaps CM had the ability to learn that too as he progressed in every year ... so it is in that context this hire not only does not make sense but is rather underwhelming. Norm level underwhelming.

I think you also have to consider what kind of talent the coach had to work with.

Moser was recruiting to Normal, IL. There is nothing there.