New Coach

• 840 replies

Marillac

Re: New Coach
« Reply #600 on: April 17, 2019, 09:21:38 PM »
Mike Boynton is an awful candidate. He will get fired from OSU soon.

In his two years as a head coach he is 8-10 and 5-13 in conference. He was 12-20 overall this past season. Wtf does anyone see in him? He inherited a team that made the tournament the year prior.

Boynton has landed just one top 100 recruit and most are ranked 250 or higher.

wpc77

« Reply #601 on: April 17, 2019, 09:44:58 PM »

In his two years as a head coach he is 8-10 and 5-13 in conference. He was 12-20 overall this past season. Wtf does anyone see in him? He inherited a team that made the tournament the year prior.

Plus, he had to fire his associate head coach when the guy copped a plea in the FBI investigation: https://newsok.com/article/5621671/osu-coach-mike-boynton-reacts-to-former-assistant-lamont-evans-guilty-plea

« Reply #602 on: April 17, 2019, 10:12:22 PM »
Thank goodness they let Mullin go, this program was doomed otherwise.

That’s all the past. It’s time to move forward now.

« Reply #603 on: April 17, 2019, 11:02:28 PM »
That would be a waste.  We generate significant buzz in the largest sports market in the country by having even a semi-decent season.  We get national attention when we approach 20 wins and play at least some of our games in the best venue for hoops there is, period.  The "fix" is not moving down a league.  The "fix" is getting these folks on the admin side to stay the F out of the way and let people who know what they are doing make decisions.  They cannot be so blind as to all this negative backlash.  The media needs to keep piling on and what Repole did today has generated substantial attention and discussion (kudos to him for using his platform to do that, because he sounded like most of us on here).  And fans, especially season ticket holders and donors, need to contact the school ASAP and let them know we will not stand for this freaking mess.  They just had one of the highest ticket sales and attendance in how long?  Let them know their wallets are going to pay if they keep up this s*** show.

Much better off moving down to the A-10 or Colonial. At least we'd have a shot to win the conf tourney once every few years.

« Reply #604 on: April 18, 2019, 12:04:17 AM »

I haven't posted since I was still on campus, but I have been lurking over the years, especially lately with the coach debacle. What makes Boynton an awful candidate? For one, he's only 37 years old. Fits the bill of a young coach that can build and stabilize the program. I've seen people complain that Cluess is too old at 60 to build up the program. He's also from Brooklyn and played at Bishop Loughlin. That checks off the NY ties that most people like.

Boynton also has earned praise as a very good recruiter, which could go a long way in NY. Just look at where his incoming class is ranked in the country this year:

Scout: 15th
Rivals: 30th
24/7: 23rd

St. John's would kill to have that! If he were so bad that he is going to get fired soon, then how could he get a good class like that? That tells me that the recruits believe in him and his plan. Only one recruit this year is outside of the Top 250. The other 3 are in the top 150 and considered 4 stars by Rivals (2 if you go by 24/7).

Also, he kicked off 3 players this past season due to a violation of team rules, one of which was one of the team's best players in Michael Weathers, and played the rest of the season with walk ons. It tells me that he takes no BS and is willing to do what's necessary to clean up the program. And if you look at OK State's schedule or watched them play, they were actually in a lot of those games. So while the record may look bad on the surface, his team didn't lose by very much in a very good Big 12 conference with only 8 scholarship players and walk ons.

Additionally, if you look on Twitter and the college basketball Reddit. OK State fans do not want to see him go at all, they like what he is building in Stillwater. He's a young up and coming coach, who wouldn't want that? From what I've read and seen, Boynton also seems like a good Xs and Os coach, which would be a nice change of pace from the past 2 coaches the Johnnies have had.

While Boynton may not be on the top of any of our lists and there are others people would like, but I feel like he is far from an awful candidate and is actually a good out of the box idea that I would be happy with if they went that route. But knowing this administration, they probably won't even attempt to get him. In my opinion, I'd rather have Boynton over Yale's James Jones, who is apparently the favorite to get the job now.

Plus, he had to fire his associate head coach when the guy copped a plea in the FBI investigation: https://newsok.com/article/5621671/osu-coach-mike-boynton-reacts-to-former-assistant-lamont-evans-guilty-plea

Evans wasn't a Boynton guy. Evans came on board when Brad Underwood was hired and Underwood hightailed it out of there after one year.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:17:00 AM by mpt117 »

Marillac

« Reply #605 on: April 18, 2019, 12:16:35 AM »
Boynton inherited a tournament team and turned it into a 12-win team. He has proven nothing in his two years. He has signed just ONE top 100 recruit.

He is the worst hire imaginable and he will be fired at OSU. As for his recruiting class ranking, it’s based purely on the sheer amount of recruits he’s bringing in. He just had a kid transfer out.

He’s young that’s it.

« Reply #606 on: April 18, 2019, 12:43:14 AM »
Olivia and Gempesaw making the hire. Cragg now has no say.

« Reply #607 on: April 18, 2019, 12:54:32 AM »
Boynton inherited a tournament team and turned it into a 12-win team. He has proven nothing in his two years. He has signed just ONE top 100 recruit.

He is the worst hire imaginable and he will be fired at OSU. As for his recruiting class ranking, it’s based purely on the sheer amount of recruits he’s bringing in. He just had a kid transfer out.

He’s young that’s it.

In year one, he took over a program where the previous coach bounced after only one year at the helm. A lot of Underwood's recruits decommitted or transferred out. In year two, he had to deal with losing 4-5 scholarship players and was still able to compete and hang with teams in a very good Big 12 conference. He was playing walk on players!

So having a consensus top 30 recruiting class and being born and bread in NYC aren't good things? Just that he's young? I think being from Brooklyn and playing at Bishop Loughlin would help him on the recruiting trail. He already has a good recruiting reputation. They seem to like him at OK State and the recruits have bought in on what he's had to say.

And his recruiting class ranking isn't based purely on how many recruits he's brought in, they've all been pretty much the same size. He's had 3 recruiting classes. In 2017, he brought in 3. That was after Underwood left OK State in the dust for Illinois and had players decommit. In 2018, he brought in 4. This year, 2019, he brought in 4. Pretty much all the same class size and it's improved every year. And the kid that transferred out averaged 0.9 PPG and 1.3 RPG. Doubt he was going to play much anyways, plus the coach that recruited him left.

The worst hire imaginable? Really? What do you think of Yale's James Jones? I honestly think he would be worse. I don't think Boynton is as bad as you think he is, but that's just me.

Marillac

« Reply #608 on: April 18, 2019, 01:01:34 AM »
In year one, he took over a program where the previous coach bounced after only one year at the helm. A lot of Underwood's recruits decommitted or transferred out. In year two, he had to deal with losing 4-5 scholarship players and was still able to compete and hang with teams in a very good Big 12 conference. He was playing walk on players!

So having a consensus top 30 recruiting class and being born and bread in NYC aren't good things? Just that he's young? I think being from Brooklyn and playing at Bishop Loughlin would help him on the recruiting trail. He already has a good recruiting reputation. They seem to like him at OK State and the recruits have bought in on what he's had to say.

And his recruiting class ranking isn't based purely on how many recruits he's brought in, they've all been pretty much the same size. He's had 3 recruiting classes. In 2017, he brought in 3. That was after Underwood left OK State in the dust for Illinois and had players decommit. In 2018, he brought in 4. This year, 2019, he brought in 4. Pretty much all the same class size and it's improved every year. And the kid that transferred out averaged 0.9 PPG and 1.3 RPG. Doubt he was going to play much anyways, plus the coach that recruited him left.

The worst hire imaginable? Really? What do you think of Yale's James Jones? I honestly think he would be worse. I don't think Boynton is as bad as you think he is, but that's just me.

What are you his cousin? He won 12 games! He’s been under .500 in conference his only two years.

MAYBE he won’t suck...that’s the best you can say about him. I think he does suck, will continue to suck, and will fired in two years.

Spare me the NY bs. He hasn’t recruited a single kid from the area.

Oklahoma State was terrible.

« Reply #609 on: April 18, 2019, 01:09:24 AM »
What are you his cousin? He won 12 games! He’s been under .500 in conference his only two years.

MAYBE he won’t suck...that’s the best you can say about him. I think he does suck, will continue to suck, and will fired in two years.

Spare me the NY bs. He hasn’t recruited a single kid from the area.

Oklahoma State was terrible.

Just trying to converse. I was just wondering why you thought Boynton would be so bad and awful, since I don't think he'd be a bad choice at all. Good to see the point of view on both sides. I know he isn't the best but there are limited options out there, especially now. Who are some of the names you'd like to see or do you have someone that you want?

« Reply #610 on: April 18, 2019, 01:24:52 AM »
The next head coach will be African American because no matter who they hire is it will not be criticized. The University will then have turned the tables. Not trying to make it an issue just the truth.

« Reply #611 on: April 18, 2019, 01:50:47 AM »
Trying to make sense of all this stuff.
Wild and crazy theory.

Gempesaw/Oliva who hired Mullin in the first place weren't happy Cragg essentially got rid of Mully and the last straw was when Cragg couldn't land Bobby Hurley.

So they took away his power.

Not far fetched?

« Reply #612 on: April 18, 2019, 01:55:34 AM »
They low balled Hurley

« Reply #613 on: April 18, 2019, 01:56:31 AM »
Won’t hire Cluess because of Gempesaw loyalty to Louie.

« Reply #614 on: April 18, 2019, 02:04:05 AM »
James Jones interviewing today he will be the next coach.

« Reply #615 on: April 18, 2019, 07:54:04 AM »
clues withdraws himself from consideration.  good. quite frankly I would have done this a long time ago.

« Reply #616 on: April 18, 2019, 08:00:44 AM »
clues withdraws himself from consideration.  good. quite frankly I would have done this a long time ago.

We are the biggest joke in college basketball. We are no longer a better job than a mid-major.

Foad

« Reply #617 on: April 18, 2019, 08:03:05 AM »
James Jones interviewing today

Fluke, I am your head coach.

« Reply #618 on: April 18, 2019, 08:03:27 AM »
The only way to win the PR battle is to hire Pitino. The administration knows they’re bulletproof if they hire an African American Coach no one will criticize especially in today’s age. A guy like Jones it’s only going to 1.5 m to get done. Repole paid Mullin to leave. He is tired of pay for these clowns mistakes.

« Reply #619 on: April 18, 2019, 08:15:31 AM »
How about Brian Wardle, HC at Bradley.

He played for marquette, won the horizon league w/ green bay and just took bradley to the ncca tournament.  Only 40 years old.