New Coach

• 840 replies

Marillac

Re: New Coach
« Reply #640 on: April 18, 2019, 12:08:16 PM »
Len Elmore has been on Twitter talking about St John's need to honor its diversity pledge and how hiring a white candidate is a symptom of "MAGA." So at least one person gives a shit.

We’ve had three black head coaches the last 20 years. Duke has never had a single minority. We’re good.

Although I’d love Shaka Smart.

Marillac

« Reply #641 on: April 18, 2019, 12:23:26 PM »
I bet we circle back to Hurley.

« Reply #642 on: April 18, 2019, 12:32:07 PM »
Mike Boynton is not a serious candidate. Has $7 million buyout which is double what Hurley's was.

Board of trustees approved hire of Cluess but Oliva blocked it. I'm really not sure what the dynamic of this administration is and how/why there are so many people who don't know a clue about basketball involved.

I said it in a tweet prior to Repole interview there needs to be a house cleaning from top down. This really shouldn't be this hard.

Also Jeff Goodman on my bandwagon now with Frank Martin. Amazing if that picks up momentum.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #643 on: April 18, 2019, 12:44:42 PM »
why in god's name would Frank Martin come here? Why would anyone still come here after this debacle? Frank Martin is a bigger name in college basketball than pretty much anyone that has been discussed not named Pitino

« Reply #644 on: April 18, 2019, 12:46:56 PM »
why in god's name would Frank Martin come here? Why would anyone still come here after this debacle? Frank Martin is a bigger name in college basketball than pretty much anyone that has been discussed not named Pitino

Money. Guaranteed money.

« Reply #645 on: April 18, 2019, 12:47:20 PM »
Len Elmore has been on Twitter talking about St John's need to honor its diversity pledge and how hiring a white candidate is a symptom of "MAGA." So at least one person gives a shit.

Well if Len Elmore from Twitter thinks we shouldn't hire a white guy than that must be the answer. In all seriousness though isn't it the opposite of diversity of you automatically exclude a group of candidates because they're white? It sounds like Len Elmore from Twitter is as big a simpleton as the people running St John's.

Poison

« Reply #646 on: April 18, 2019, 12:51:39 PM »

There are many disgusting symptoms of MAGA, but this isn’t one of them.

Poison

« Reply #647 on: April 18, 2019, 12:54:15 PM »
Mike Boynton is not a serious candidate. Has $7 million buyout which is double what Hurley's was.

Board of trustees approved hire of Cluess but Oliva blocked it. I'm really not sure what the dynamic of this administration is and how/why there are so many people who don't know a clue about basketball involved.

I said it in a tweet prior to Repole interview there needs to be a house cleaning from top down. This really shouldn't be this hard.

Also Jeff Goodman on my bandwagon now with Frank Martin. Amazing if that picks up momentum.

It’s not a house cleaning they need. It’s a different approach to hiring a basketball coach.

They cleaned house by removing Harrington. It’s the system that’s the problem here. Let Mike Cragg do his job and give him the support he needs.

Marillac

« Reply #648 on: April 18, 2019, 12:55:38 PM »
It’s not a house cleaning they need. It’s a different approach to hiring a basketball coach.

They cleaned house by removing Harrington. It’s the system that’s the problem here. Let Mike Cragg do his job and give him the support he needs.

Tons of unqualified administrators survived the change in presidency. It’s mom and pop.

« Reply #649 on: April 18, 2019, 01:05:22 PM »
Just a friendly reminder to all think and reread posts before submitting especially when talking about topics that go beyond the game.

Marillac

« Reply #650 on: April 18, 2019, 01:07:15 PM »
James Jones interviewing. What sh*t show. I’m done if they hire this crappy coach.

He had a losing record for the first 16 years of his coaching career.

He has no experience in major college basketball as a player or coach and hasn’t handed out a scholarship in 20 years.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 01:08:17 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #651 on: April 18, 2019, 01:11:34 PM »
Money. Guaranteed money.

we've been penny pinching with MAAC coaches, now out of no where we're gonna give Frank Martin 4 million?

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #652 on: April 18, 2019, 01:16:34 PM »
Mike Repole mentioned that the administration would not give CM the "resources" and were, in essence, setting him up to fail. Yet despite that there was progression each year culminating in reaching the tourney ... of course, CM still needed to learn more about how to sustain progress towards the end of the season but a learning curve was being demonstrated.

Say the resources CM was asking for was a package with an xs and os assistant coach and a 2 year extension which the administration turned down. It now seems that it was not Cragg blocking CM from getting access to those resources but would have been the most cost effective and stable option. Then you have the administration low balling Hurley. Now that the s**t hit the fan and no one will come here or perhaps will come here if there is big, big money.

Was this the genius plan all along? :) 

« Reply #653 on: April 18, 2019, 01:46:42 PM »
Gempesaw has not been a great President, Fr. Harrington ran a House of Cards but I wanted a President who was money guy 5 years ago not a academic from Miami OH. Here there have been many people in his ear has caused complete disfunction. First time President went from a school that is called JCrew U to Urban Commuter school with mostly first generation to go to college.

goredmen

« Reply #654 on: April 18, 2019, 01:47:57 PM »
https://twitter.com/RogRubin/status/1118933603004686336

This from another confidant of Yale's James Jones: given a "respectable" offer, "I believe he will say 'yes.'" #sjubb

« Reply #655 on: April 18, 2019, 01:49:58 PM »
Leave it to the Harvard guy to inject the race card; how many black HCs has Maryland had Lenny?

Foad

« Reply #656 on: April 18, 2019, 01:50:00 PM »
Well if Len Elmore from Twitter thinks we shouldn't hire a white guy than that must be the answer. In all seriousness though isn't it the opposite of diversity of you automatically exclude a group of candidates because they're white? It sounds like Len Elmore from Twitter is as big a simpleton as the people running St John's.

Len Elmore from Twitter - who was planning on attending SJU before Lou buggered off to the NBA - is a former NBA player who calls St John's games for Fox. I didn't say I agreed with him, you said who cares, I said this guy does.

Foad

« Reply #657 on: April 18, 2019, 01:52:17 PM »
https://twitter.com/RogRubin/status/1118933603004686336

This from another confidant of Yale's James Jones: given a "respectable" offer, "I believe he will say 'yes.'" #sjubb

I have a joke about Jim Jones being the next coach at St John's but the punch line is too long.

goredmen

« Reply #658 on: April 18, 2019, 01:53:14 PM »
This dude has never been at the high-major level of college basketball ever. Before being the Head Coach at Yale he was an assistant at Yale, Albany and Ohio.

Probably a nice guy, but a bad hire. Oh well. We'll be able to embarrass ourselves on a national level during a coaching search again in 4-5 years.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 01:54:27 PM by goredmen »

tnice

« Reply #659 on: April 18, 2019, 01:59:21 PM »

The Coaching Changes twitter handle- allegedly run by a couple of plugged in assistants from around the country, who've been spot on throughout this nightmare- alleging that Looie put the kibosh on Cluess. Which, for this Mickey Mouse university, is simultaneously unimaginable and completely plausible.