New Coach

• 840 replies
Re: New Coach
« Reply #740 on: April 19, 2019, 12:03:52 AM »
What's the issue with his personality?

You know more than I do but there’s people on Twitter saying how great of a person he is.  So I don’t know....

Bottom line for me is that he’s a coach  he’s all in. Not an assistant. Not a sport broadcaster. Not a GM. A god damn coach. Something we haven’t had in 20 years.

Poison

« Reply #741 on: April 19, 2019, 12:07:01 AM »
On paper, it seems like his far and away better than the names being mentioned.  I wanted Pitino, Hurley and Cluess in that order.  It sucks that didn't happen.  If it's between Anderson and all these other freaking guys, a no-brainer for me. 

Dave's comment gives me some pause though because of how connected he is to this stuff.  Again, on paper, Anderson has done well wherever he's been (worked miracles at UAB, did a good job cleaning up the Snyder mess in Mizzou, did OK at Arkansas).

But georgraphically, can a guy whose career has been in the South work at SJU.  You better put the exact right group of assistants with him or it may be a disaster.  Hopefully he takes this job to work hard and right the ship instead of collecting a paycheck.

Mickey Mantle was from Oklahoma.

Just because someone is from a shit hole, like the south, doesn’t mean he can’t rise above where he’s from. This is his chance.

I like this hire. He’ll do well here.

Poison

« Reply #742 on: April 19, 2019, 12:10:05 AM »
You know more than I do but there’s people on Twitter saying how great of a person he is.  So I don’t know....

Bottom line for me is that he’s a coach  he’s all in. Not an assistant. Not a sport broadcaster. Not a GM. A god damn coach. Something we haven’t had in 20 years.

Jarvis gets no credit at all? It certainly didn’t end well, but for a few years, we were pretty good.

« Reply #743 on: April 19, 2019, 12:54:37 AM »

Just because someone is from a shit hole, like the south, doesn’t mean he can’t rise above where he’s from. This is his chance.

I like this hire. He’ll do well here.

It’s odd that every so often I forget that you are the bigot of the crowd. Nice of you to remind everyone.

Poison

« Reply #744 on: April 19, 2019, 12:57:58 AM »
It’s odd that every so often I forget that you are the bigot of the crowd. Nice of you to remind everyone.

You use this word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

« Reply #745 on: April 19, 2019, 03:28:44 AM »
You will suck for years to come. Looie has screwed this program over and over again to protect his legacy.

You're piling on a 94 yr old man that has absolutely nothing to do with anything during this hiring process. Let me guess...you think Lou is blackballing Cluess cuz he transferred 40 years ago.

« Reply #746 on: April 19, 2019, 06:21:56 AM »
A friend is a Mizzou guy, he loves Anderson

Tiger

« Reply #747 on: April 19, 2019, 06:41:43 AM »
I'm thrilled.  Hopefully Mike can re-recruit some of our recent departures.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/19/st-johns-bumbling-search-ends-with-a-question-mark-hire/

« Reply #748 on: April 19, 2019, 07:00:19 AM »
LJ and Simon would have thrived...

« Reply #749 on: April 19, 2019, 08:19:55 AM »
Funny the same people who used the argument for Cluess "he wins everywhere he goes" are against this hire. Anderson literally won everywhere he has been and against actual competition, not just against Siena and Quinnipiac.

This is a head and shoulders better hire than Cluess.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 08:21:22 AM by redstorm212 »

Foad

« Reply #750 on: April 19, 2019, 08:35:46 AM »

How much money time and effort have you spent support a racist organization like the NY Yankees. You disgust me.

« Reply #751 on: April 19, 2019, 08:51:18 AM »
Some of you are simply unappeasable. Are you guys out of your freaking minds to hate a hire like this? How dare you. Look what we've just been through in the last 10 days. You have the audacity to think Mike Anderson, everything he's done, the winning record his ENTIRE career, is not good enough for you an St. John's????

Stop acting so freaking entitled. This school was just shamed on a national level and Mike Anderson is the new head coach. Are you guys going to sit there and say James Jones would have been a better hire because he's from Long Island?!?!?!

Borman will join the staff along with a few others and we get to work. Anderson is  the first real coach we've had here in a long time.

« Reply #752 on: April 19, 2019, 08:57:39 AM »
Since I started following St. John’s on a game to game basis (end of Jarvis), St. John’s has never won 22 games in a season and have finished below .500 10 times.

Mike Anderson during that time has won 22+ games 10 ten times and has never had a losing season!

Bad? I’ll take my chances with a proven winner at 3 different spots.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 08:58:03 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #753 on: April 19, 2019, 09:07:53 AM »
Funny the same people who used the argument for Cluess "he wins everywhere he goes" are against this hire. Anderson literally won everywhere he has been and against actual competition, not just against Siena and Quinnipiac.

This is a head and shoulders better hire than Cluess.
I agree, like this hire more than cluess.  That said, would have preferred someone a bit younger like hurley or an oates type (unless of course we were getting a HOF coach like pitino).  Basically the school lowered our expectations so much with the Moser offer that anderson seems like a grand slam.  He's definitely had success and he has a definite coaching style.  that said, he was just fired by arkansas, not exactly a basketball powerhouse and he doesn't seem like a natural fit for NY.  Some hope today at least.

« Reply #754 on: April 19, 2019, 09:14:13 AM »
I agree, like this hire more than cluess.  That said, would have preferred someone a bit younger like hurley or an oates type (unless of course we were getting a HOF coach like pitino).  Basically the school lowered our expectations so much with the Moser offer that anderson seems like a grand slam.  He's definitely had success and he has a definite coaching style.  that said, he was just fired by arkansas, not exactly a basketball powerhouse and he doesn't seem like a natural fit for NY.  Some hope today at least.

If Oates has more success at bama than Anderson had at Arkansas then he will be doing well. And that is not a definite by any means.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #755 on: April 19, 2019, 09:50:42 AM »
Curious to see what the contract will be. I'm thinking 5-6 years, Approx $2.5 Mil a year?

Johnny23

« Reply #756 on: April 19, 2019, 09:52:09 AM »
Anderson has lost some of his mojo if you watched his teams the last few years. That said he should at least give SOME stability to the program.

When he was at UAB and Mizzou he really scared better teams. Not as much at Arky.

Again he should at least get us going in the right direction.

However this administration at St. John's is the real death nail. They will never let this program succeed. We'll be middle of the pack in the BE at best with Anderson. Better than finishing 7th-10th every year as we did under Mullin. It's all relative.

Johnny23

« Reply #757 on: April 19, 2019, 09:54:35 AM »
Curious to see what the contract will be. I'm thinking 5-6 years, Approx $2.5 Mil a year?

They shouldn't have to go past 4 years for a guy like Anderson. It's not like he was in demand at all. The only way I can see them going 5-6 years will be if he agrees to a low buyout number which they can probably pull off.

« Reply #758 on: April 19, 2019, 09:59:32 AM »
Better than finishing 7th-10th every year as we did under Mullin. It's all relative.
Mullin coached the 4th best team in the conference this season. You didn't outright lie this time but you omitted an important piece of information.

Johnny23

« Reply #759 on: April 19, 2019, 10:05:18 AM »
Mullin coached the 4th best team in the conference this season. You didn't outright lie this time but you omitted an important piece of information.

I didn't omit anything and my statement was factual. SJU finished 7th in the BE this past season. Whereas your statement is purely opinion and not rooted in fact.