New Coach

• 840 replies
Re: New Coach
« Reply #780 on: April 19, 2019, 01:39:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/MarleyPaul22/status/1119290764595539968

Marley Paul
‏ @MarleyPaul22

Mustapha Heron and LJ Figueroa have both joined Mike Anderson on stage during his introductory press conference. #sjubb

Wow
 Great news

tnice

« Reply #781 on: April 19, 2019, 01:45:40 PM »

Zach Braziller
‏Verified account @NYPost_Brazille

Christ the King’s Joe Arbitello, Stepinac’s Pat Massoroni and Andy Borman of the RENs all at the Mike Anderson presser. #sjubb

redslope

« Reply #782 on: April 19, 2019, 01:55:59 PM »
If you have not heard the press conference, it will probably be available for replay.  He was very impressive about his commitment to defense.  As I said before I like that he gets 9/10 players involved with double digit minutes and no one going above 30 unlike our dead on their feet team this year and for years gone by.  Great having 3 players their and having local coaches (HS and Rens) in attendance.

I was impressed in his ease at talking to "Big City" press.  He was actually much better than Chris.

« Reply #783 on: April 19, 2019, 02:01:59 PM »
Figueroa's agent/advisor just tweeted, "That's why patience is key..."

Could be a good sign Fiugeroa's coming back

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/1119296657701601285

SJUFAN

« Reply #784 on: April 19, 2019, 02:14:47 PM »
If you have not heard the press conference, it will probably be available for replay.  He was very impressive about his commitment to defense.  As I said before I like that he gets 9/10 players involved with double digit minutes and no one going above 30 unlike our dead on their feet team this year and for years gone by.  Great having 3 players their and having local coaches (HS and Rens) in attendance.

I was impressed in his ease at talking to "Big City" press.  He was actually much better than Chris.

He’s a real coach and understands how to build a program. We are lucky to have him. Two things that stood out to me. The importance of defense and the importance of building relationships both with the players and the local basketball community. Think he is the right man for this job.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 02:15:38 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #785 on: April 19, 2019, 02:53:18 PM »
You didn’t omit anything? How about a 12-1 non-conference record. How about a committee of disinterested D-1 administrators ruling that St. John’s had the fourth best resume after examining the totality of the circumstances?

Maybe he omitted a list of CM's dubious accomplishments because today is about Mike Anderson not about your boy.

Marillac

« Reply #786 on: April 19, 2019, 02:59:38 PM »
Maybe he omitted a list of CM's dubious accomplishments because today is about Mike Anderson not about your boy.

Then why directly reply about only CM.  Nice try.

« Reply #787 on: April 19, 2019, 03:09:20 PM »
Then why directly reply about only CM.  Nice try.
You can reference him without giving his complete biography. Guess he should have listed every trophy he won in biddy ball. I'm sure you have that list.

Marillac

« Reply #788 on: April 19, 2019, 03:27:28 PM »
You can reference him without giving his complete biography. Guess he should have listed every trophy he won in biddy ball. I'm sure you have that list.

Walk away from this.  You are so off it's ridiculous. That nice person purported to give a fully summary of Mullin's final season and even said it was without omissions.  All he did was shrink the scope to cover the conference season because it fits his narrative.  Just stop please.

Johnny23

« Reply #789 on: April 19, 2019, 03:41:39 PM »
Sounds like a good "safe" bet but not the type who is a program changer or more then a middle of the pack coach.

Yep. Solid, proven coach.

Johnny23

« Reply #790 on: April 19, 2019, 03:42:36 PM »
Expectations were a little wild in Arkansas. They hadn't been to the Sweet Sixteen since 1996 but were anticipating that Mike Anderson would have them back to 1994 levels of success like they had under Nolan Richardson when they won a national title and lost to UCLA in the championship game the next year. It was always going to be extremely difficult to replicate that. He won't have the same shadow hanging over him at St. John's. And when that wasn't the case (at UAB and Mizzou), he did well.

Agree. Could be a solid get for us.

Johnny23

« Reply #791 on: April 19, 2019, 03:44:53 PM »
I think competing for Big East titles is the goal. A sweet 16 would be a goal as well.

Maybe in a few years if everything falls into place. However in the short term, as in next year, just to keep us from cellar dweller would be a good start. Baby steps.

SJUFAN

« Reply #792 on: April 19, 2019, 03:54:19 PM »
However this administration at St. John's is the real death nail. They will never let this program succeed. We'll be middle of the pack in the BE at best with Anderson. Better than finishing 7th-10th every year as we did under Mullin. It's all relative.

Nowhere in this post did he claim to be making a comprehensive summary of Mullins achievements last year. He simply stated we didn’t finish any better than 7th under Mullin which is a fact. It’s not an omission to not reference something he isn’t speaking on. Let’s move on, it’s a new era for SJU hoops.

Johnny23

« Reply #793 on: April 19, 2019, 03:58:33 PM »
Nowhere in this post did he claim to be making a comprehensive summary of Mullins achievements last year. He simply stated we didn’t finish any better than 7th under Mullin which is a fact. It’s not an omission to not reference something he isn’t speaking on. Let’s move on, it’s a new era for SJU hoops.

I think you may have meant to quote someone else but yes that's exactly what I was saying.

SJUFAN

« Reply #794 on: April 19, 2019, 04:05:32 PM »
I think you may have meant to quote someone else but yes that's exactly what I was saying.

I wanted to quote what you said. Apparently, people struggle with comprehension.

DFF6

« Reply #795 on: April 19, 2019, 04:06:39 PM »
I love Anderson’s track record and think this is a great get. Arkansas believed it needed to make the Sweet Sixteen every year. Good luck with those expectations. Having a real college coach after Lavin and Mullin should be fun to watch. Now Coach Anderson needs to find some asssitants ASAP, and fill the roster holes. Should be an interesting few months. Figures St. John’s received divine intervention in the midst of the coach-searching disaster during the Holy Week.

Johnny23

« Reply #796 on: April 19, 2019, 04:11:50 PM »
I wanted to quote what you said. Apparently, people struggle with comprehension.

Ain't that the truth.

« Reply #797 on: April 19, 2019, 04:18:05 PM »
Whereas your statement is purely opinion and not rooted in fact.
I'll explain it.

Four teams out of ten from the Big East made the Ncaa tournament,  which is the be all end all goal of college basketball. We were one of them. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #798 on: April 19, 2019, 04:27:05 PM »
I'll explain it.

Four teams out of ten from the Big East made the Ncaa tournament,  which is the be all end all goal of college basketball. We were one of them. 

It’s like having a discussion with your child about their D grade in math and they counter stating your omitting their B grade in science. Two different things. Neither of which is wrong, outside of the claim of omission.

« Reply #799 on: April 19, 2019, 04:29:51 PM »
Arkansas believed it needed to make the Sweet Sixteen every year. Good luck with those expectations.

Not necessarily every year, but after 8 years if you don't have one it's probably time