Departures and Arrivals Thread

• 189 replies
Re: Departures and Arrivals Thread
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2019, 11:21:52 PM »
I think he will do well in a less competitive conference but I can’t say I’m happy to see him go. I was hoping that he’d turn into a strong role player by his senior year. The previous staff didn’t see value in that.

Sorry what?

Poison

« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2019, 12:11:01 AM »
Sorry what?

With the previous staff guys like Trimble just leave after a year or two.

« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2019, 10:55:20 AM »
With the previous staff guys like Trimble just leave after a year or two.

The previous staff had Trimble stay and got him to buy in and play a major role on last years team. There’s so many negative things you can say about Mullin, there’s no need to rewrite history.

« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2019, 12:49:46 PM »
The previous staff had Trimble stay and got him to buy in and play a major role on last years team. There’s so many negative things you can say about Mullin, there’s no need to rewrite history.
Point was "players like Trimble" of which quite a few were mentioned. Bottom line is Mullin's biggest mistake was taking the job in the first place.

Tiger

« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2019, 01:20:02 PM »
Have any transfers stopped by for an on campus visit, tour of the campus or MSG?  Time to get nervous?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 01:20:58 PM by Tiger »

Poison

« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2019, 01:47:11 PM »

They had to get every kid to stay every year. It happens at most schools, but with Mullin it was the rule not the exception.

« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2019, 01:57:42 PM »
You are both right.

Trimble played an important role last year on a team with little depth.

There’s also no good reason to give guys like Mussini and Ellison a ton of PT before they are ready if they don’t stick around to be the seasoned upperclassmen that provide the necessary depth and experience that strong, balanced rosters generally have.  Losing guys like that before they truly add value - and maybe Trimble is one such player - was a contributing factor to Mullin’s failures.

This said, I think Trimble as an upperclassman has less upside than the upperclassmen versions of Mussini, Ellison, Freudenberg and Sima. But we could use the experience once again

TONYD3

« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2019, 02:10:05 PM »
Trimble competed on defense. He had some decent moments. He shouldn’t have been recruited here. Mussini, Ellison, fredenburg, and sima were worse.
NONE of these players played any role in actually winning big east games. Paris Horne was a role player. These guys were not.

Johnny23

« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2019, 02:33:26 PM »
The biggest thing you are all leaving out about these players is the lack of player development. There was none of that going on under Mullin. Trimble didn't get better, he was still a one trick pony just in better shape.

Ellison, Mussini, Freud all plateaud under Mullin's watch. Hell, Shamorie Ponds is the biggest elephant in the room. He regressed under Mullin's watch. His soph year was better than this past season. Tariq Owens looked like a different, much improved player under one season of Chris Beard at TT.

This is all old news though. We have a real coach now, who can take 2 stars and lesser rated recruits, that a few dopes on here are being critical of him recruiting and he will coach them up and get the most out of them. That's what a real coach does. You will see this when next season rolls around.

« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2019, 05:44:11 PM »
The biggest thing you are all leaving out about these players is the lack of player development. There was none of that going on under Mullin. Trimble didn't get better, he was still a one trick pony just in better shape.

Ellison, Mussini, Freud all plateaud under Mullin's watch. Hell, Shamorie Ponds is the biggest elephant in the room. He regressed under Mullin's watch. His soph year was better than this past season. Tariq Owens looked like a different, much improved player under one season of Chris Beard at TT.

This is all old news though. We have a real coach now, who can take 2 stars and lesser rated recruits, that a few dopes on here are being critical of him recruiting and he will coach them up and get the most out of them. That's what a real coach does. You will see this when next season rolls around.

Trimble was a volume/rhythm player whose offensive opportunities were sacrificed to accommodate significantly better offensive players in Heron and Figueroa. His stats were down but if you didn’t see obvious progression in his in court awareness that manifested itself in improved defense and sharper touches on offense that’s on you. Same goes for Ponds who put up definitively more efficient numbers in an offense that suddenly had second and third choices. Maybe look some info up next time.

I’d love some evidence on 1 year player Freudenburg or Linguini Mussini plateauing. FTR, I liked mussini but he was recruited over.

Meanwhile Ellison’s stats improved here then he became invisible in a year at Pitt.

Point by Point dismantling aside, Mullin turned an empty roster into one devoid of staying power then improved on it year after year. Someone else may have been able to keep Lovett or Owens but we’ll never know for sure.

What we do know is that it’s a waste of time to blame Mullin for end of the bench guys and emergency recruits that didn’t become All Americans. It’s also asinine to expect a new coach to turn current 2 star recruits into important contributors or even to “get the most out of them” a statement that will itself be enshrined in the undefinable, goal post moving Platitude Hall of Fame. We’ll have you down for the ceremony.

Johnny23

« Reply #150 on: May 19, 2019, 07:18:21 PM »
Trimble was a volume/rhythm player whose offensive opportunities were sacrificed to accommodate significantly better offensive players in Heron and Figueroa. His stats were down but if you didn’t see obvious progression in his in court awareness that manifested itself in improved defense and sharper touches on offense that’s on you. Same goes for Ponds who put up definitively more efficient numbers in an offense that suddenly had second and third choices. Maybe look some info up next time.

I’d love some evidence on 1 year player Freudenburg or Linguini Mussini plateauing. FTR, I liked mussini but he was recruited over.

Meanwhile Ellison’s stats improved here then he became invisible in a year at Pitt.

Point by Point dismantling aside, Mullin turned an empty roster into one devoid of staying power then improved on it year after year. Someone else may have been able to keep Lovett or Owens but we’ll never know for sure.

What we do know is that it’s a waste of time to blame Mullin for end of the bench guys and emergency recruits that didn’t become All Americans. It’s also asinine to expect a new coach to turn current 2 star recruits into important contributors or even to “get the most out of them” a statement that will itself be enshrined in the undefinable, goal post moving Platitude Hall of Fame. We’ll have you down for the ceremony.

You and Carmine need some new material. Mullin was awful for 3 years. Not bad but awful. He had one flash in the pan season last year where he underperformed based on expectations. Yes everyone had SJU as a top 4 team in the BE. They finished 7th. I don't want to hear the excuses about this call and that call. Excuses are for losers and Chris backed that up.

Regarding Anderson, just watch and learn. You can tell me again that I am right when you see how a real coach runs a program and see his players improve throughout the season. Not the one step forward, 3 steps backwards routine of the last 4 years. That's not coaching. That's streetball. Night and day.

TONYD3

« Reply #151 on: May 19, 2019, 09:47:22 PM »
Can’t wait until next year when these clowns say Anderson won with Mullin’s players.

« Reply #152 on: May 19, 2019, 10:53:24 PM »
Shamorie Ponds is the biggest elephant in the room. He regressed under Mullin's watch. His soph year was better than this past season.   
That's an outright lie. Are you at all familiar with the standard decimal based numeral system? How can anyone have an exchange with you if your just gonna make sh*t up.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 10:58:51 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #153 on: May 19, 2019, 10:56:47 PM »
Yes everyone had SJU as a top 4 team in the BE. They finished 7th. 
Although it's true that we finished 7th in the Big East standings. We were a top 4 team in the Big East as 4 teams danced including us. Right?

« Reply #154 on: May 19, 2019, 10:58:23 PM »
Can’t wait until next year when these clowns say Anderson won with Mullin’s players.
This clown can only speak for himself. I will be tickled pink if Anderson wins and he has my full support. I have no personal agenda regarding this musical coaches game.

SJUFAN

« Reply #155 on: May 19, 2019, 11:10:10 PM »
Although it's true that we finished 7th in the Big East standings. We were a top 4 team in the Big East as 4 teams danced including us. Right?

We were a top 3 team. Some thought we had the most talent. We finished in 7th place. Which means 6 teams finished ahead of us. The amount of teams invited to the tournament doesn’t change our place in the standings. It’s what happens when you finish with a 8-10 conference record.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 11:37:43 PM by SJUFAN »

Johnny23

« Reply #156 on: May 20, 2019, 09:25:26 AM »

Como se what?  Our record (actual results) had us finish 7th in the Big East (fact). We just happened to be one of 4 teams who made the dance however that in no way changes the fact that our record put us at a 7th place finish. If you somehow interpret that to being one of the top 4 teams in the BE then I'd love to hear your statistical data to back that up because it is not based on fact, rather your opinion.

Marillac

« Reply #157 on: May 20, 2019, 10:14:45 AM »

You put far to much emphasis on the coach’s role in a player’s development.

Ponds from year one to year two improved as much as anyone I’ve ever seen, but that doesn’t fit your narrative.

« Reply #158 on: May 20, 2019, 10:30:59 AM »
Como se what?  Our record (actual results) had us finish 7th in the Big East (fact). We just happened to be one of 4 teams who made the dance however that in no way changes the fact that our record put us at a 7th place finish. If you somehow interpret that to being one of the top 4 teams in the BE then I'd love to hear your statistical data to back that up because it is not based on fact, rather your opinion.
Did you miss when I wrote this, "Although it's true that we finished 7th in the Big East standings."

Johnny23

« Reply #159 on: May 20, 2019, 01:00:15 PM »
Did you miss when I wrote this, "Although it's true that we finished 7th in the Big East standings."

That is where your post should have ended. Everything after that is pure conjecture and a minority view at that.