Bobby Hurley

• 32 replies

pmg911

Bobby Hurley
« on: April 10, 2019, 10:28:33 AM »
Fellow fans...

A few things to consider and think about in regards to him potentially becoming the next Coach...

1. This will probably be his best chance to ever get a high profile job close to his family. Even if the SHU became available, he would not take it. To say the Hurley family doesn't care for SHU is an understatement.
2. if he comes to SJU he gets to have one of the best basketball coaches ever at his immediate disposal to lean on in person.
3. He gets to have his children back near their family. His wife is NJ girl.
4. He completely understands what it would mean to turn around this program in the spotlight of NYC.
5. Arizona State is a great place, beautiful area but it's NOT a basketball school. Football comes first and out there, basketball might actually be behind baseball in terms of fan interest and support.

Just my opinion but I would be astonished if Bobby Hurley is not the new coach by early next week.

Re: Bobby Hurley
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 10:39:01 AM »
Fellow fans...

A few things to consider and think about in regards to him potentially becoming the next Coach...

1. This will probably be his best chance to ever get a high profile job close to his family. Even if the SHU became available, he would not take it. To say the Hurley family doesn't care for SHU is an understatement.
2. if he comes to SJU he gets to have one of the best basketball coaches ever at his immediate disposal to lean on in person.
4. He completely understands what it would mean to turn around this program in the spotlight of NYC.
5. Arizona State is a great place, beautiful area but it's NOT a basketball school. Football comes first and out there, basketball might actually be behind baseball in terms of fan interest and support.

Just my opinion but I would be astonished if Bobby Hurley is not the new coach by early next week.
I would prefer Pitino but in no way would I be upset with Hurley.  He has done a tremendous job recruiting at ASU. 

However, I struggle to understand how SJU would be able to make this work financially.  I believe he makes around 2.3 million per year and has a 3 million dollar buy out after receiving a contract extension last year.  His contract also has bonuses related to him staying at the school for certain amounts of time.  I forget if it was on here or on twitter but I read one comment where it was indicated that if we matched the yearly salary, the length of time bonuses and paid the 3 million buy out that all that combined at an overall average annual salary it would make Hurley a top 10 compensated coach in the nation.  I can't see this school dishing out that type of coin after paying Mullin, Lavin and Slice to walk over the last couple of years.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:48:24 AM by colelatshaw2010 »

goredmen

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 10:39:52 AM »
I also would be surprised if he isn't the coach. I don't have any info but it doesn't seem to me that a guy like Cragg would set himself up for embarrassment in the biggest move of his career by the guy he's publicly zeroing on declining the job. That would be a bad look

sju89tr

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 10:40:55 AM »
I agree with you 100% PMG. Baseball does come second behind football. It is not a basketball school. Hurley has done an outstanding job there but he's an east coast guy and SJU should be an attractive option for him.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 10:53:36 AM »
I would prefer Pitino but in no way would I be upset with Hurley.  He has done a tremendous job recruiting at ASU. 

However, I struggle to understand how SJU would be able to make this work financially.  I believe he makes around 2.3 million per year and has a 3 million dollar buy out after receiving a contract extension last year.  His contract also has bonuses related to him staying at the school for certain amounts of time.  I forget if it was on here or on twitter but I read one comment where it was indicated that if we matched the yearly salary, the length of time bonuses and paid the 3 million buy out that all that combined at an overall average annual salary it would make Hurley a top 10 compensated coach in the nation.  I can't see this school dishing out that type of coin after paying Mullin, Lavin and Slice to walk over the last couple of years.

+100% we can get Pitino for half the cost of Hurley. I would go with him and take whatever's left to upgrade the facilities and hire a head to follow RP around to make sure he stays away from trouble.

Financially I just can't see SJU paying that type of coin right now. Pitino will work for .50 on the dollar and we will never have this opportunity again.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:55:13 AM by buckeyestorm »

sju89tr

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 10:58:41 AM »
+100% we can get Pitino for half the cost of Hurley. I would go with him and take whatever's left to upgrade the facilities and hire a head to follow RP around to make sure he stays away from trouble.

Financially I just can't see SJU paying that type of coin right now. Pitino will work for .50 on the dollar and we will never have this opportunity again.

It is going to cost the 4 mil to buy out CM, 3 mill to buy out ASU, and probably at least 2.5 to start Hurley off at.  Close to 10 million plus a new staff. A lot for a school that doesn't have a lot of donor pockets anymore.     

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 11:01:47 AM »

Come on now-It ain't the school that would be doling out the buku bucks necessary-it is the high end donors, ie. the Mike Repoles of St. John's.

sju89tr

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 11:08:59 AM »
Come on now-It ain't the school that would be doling out the buku bucks necessary-it is the high end donors, ie. the Mike Repoles of St. John's.

We don't have many Repole's. Big schools have many Repole's. We had the Tafner's but they have passed now I believe. Have not heard anything about Reilly since the Matt Doherty debacle. Those were our big sports cash cows.     

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 11:15:52 AM »
We don't have many Repole's. Big schools have many Repole's. We had the Tafner's but they have passed now I believe. Have not heard anything about Reilly since the Matt Doherty debacle. Those were our big sports cash cows.     
Don't need many. MR can light his cigar with the money we are talking about if he wants too.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 11:39:12 AM »
I also would be surprised if he isn't the coach. I don't have any info but it doesn't seem to me that a guy like Cragg would set himself up for embarrassment in the biggest move of his career by the guy he's publicly zeroing on declining the job. That would be a bad look

We are going to learn a lot about Cragg in the next two days.

He either gets Hurley or he was played for a raise.

TONYD3

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 01:08:02 PM »
We are going to learn a lot about Cragg in the next two days.

He either gets Hurley or he was played for a raise.
Hurley would be fine, as would plenty of others. The goal was not getting Bobby Hurley.

Johnny23

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 02:06:57 PM »
As I said yesterday, it's not Bobby Hurley or bust. There's plenty of other good coaches out there.

Neither SJU nor Cragg should be pigeon holing themselves into only a few candidates. Others can win here too. Cragg needs to ensure we broaden the search horizon.

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 03:09:10 PM »
As I said yesterday, it's not Bobby Hurley or bust. There's plenty of other good coaches out there.

Neither SJU nor Cragg should be pigeon holing themselves into only a few candidates. Others can win here too. Cragg needs to ensure we broaden the search horizon.

We'll see how this plays out...but Cragg better move pronto while we still have some players left.

This isn't the slow as molasses south.   

sju89tr

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 03:12:16 PM »
We'll see how this plays out...but Cragg better move pronto while we still have some players left.

This isn't the slow as molasses south.   

We are going to have to hit that transfer market quick as there may only be like 6 players left 

derk

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 03:46:38 PM »
Fellow fans...

And how much of the 2 .3 million are we willing to ante up to counter Arizona State's response

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2019, 03:51:11 PM »
And how much of the 2 .3 million are we willing to ante up to counter Arizona State's response

However much MR is willing to pay. Not sure Hurley even wants it, but we do know Pitino wants it. At the very least offer him what Mullin was paid. I think he would take it.

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2019, 04:01:21 PM »
The goal was not getting Bobby Hurley.

Wrong again.

Johnny23

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2019, 04:04:54 PM »
We are going to have to hit that transfer market quick as there may only be like 6 players left

Unlike Mullin, I'm sure one of the criteria that Cragg is looking for in our next coach is a tireless worker with a track record of successful recruiting.

The days of having a roster filled with 50% transfers and JUCO's will be over and thankfully so. We saw how well that worked out over the last 4 years. Recruiting HS kids is the lifeblood of 99% of the successful programs out there.

sju89tr

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2019, 04:09:25 PM »
Unlike Mullin, I'm sure one of the criteria that Cragg is looking for in our next coach is a tireless worker with a track record of successful recruiting.

The days of having a roster filled with 50% transfers and JUCO's will be over and thankfully so. We saw how well that worked out over the last 4 years. Recruiting HS kids is the lifeblood of 99% of the successful programs out there.

You need to have like 8-9 high school kids, and the rest transfers and Juco's

We had Ponds Williams Roberts Trimble and like 9 JUCO's and transfers

It becomes very transient that way