You need to have like 8-9 high school kids, and the rest transfers and Juco's

We had Ponds Williams Roberts Trimble and like 9 JUCO's and transfers

It becomes very transient that way     

Indeed.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
Re: Bobby Hurley
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2019, 05:13:02 PM »
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2019/04/09/bobby-hurley-st-johns-asu-basketball-coach-report-sun-devils-red-storm/3411340002/?cid=twitter_azcsports

Interesting article

It’s harder for people who lived and left the tri-state area to return, than for people arriving to the area for the first time.

Growing in particular NYC, there are so many daily annoyances that people put up with either because it’s just life or they don’t realize it. When someone lives  somewhere else and returns, they become very apparent...Besides, cost of living, taxes, and traffic.

Hurley can always visit when he wants too or find ways to play at the Garden.

One thing that NYC has that cannot be compared, is the buzz around the city when a team is winning. If Hurley is a die hard basketball coach that loves that energy, wining at SJU would be electric for the school and NYC...Can the family handle it.
Cougar O' Malley

sju89tr

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2019, 05:18:11 PM »
It’s harder for people who lived and left the tri-state area to return, than for people arriving to the area for the first time.

Growing in particular NYC, there are so many daily annoyances that people put up with either because it’s just life or they don’t realize it. When someone lives  somewhere else and returns, they become very apparent...Besides, cost of living, taxes, and traffic.

Hurley can always visit when he wants too or find ways to play at the Garden.

One thing that NYC has that cannot be compared, is the buzz around the city when a team is winning. If Hurley is a die hard basketball coach that loves that energy, wining at SJU would be electric for the school and NYC...Can the family handle it.

Well being close to siblings and parents is important too.

I personally have been in LA for 28 years and don't know if I can handle NY again.

ASU however is different. I like Phoenix but don't think it's a great place to live or be a basketball coach.     
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 05:18:37 PM by sju89tr »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2019, 05:46:42 PM »
Well being close to siblings and parents is important too.

I personally have been in LA for 28 years and don't know if I can handle NY again.

ASU however is different. I like Phoenix but don't think it's a great place to live or be a basketball coach.     

Extended family is important, But they can always visit whenever they want. It will be interesting to see what his family thinks.

Im with you. Iappreciate NYC so much more that I no longer live there, but I can only stay for a week before it drives me nuts. My brother lives in Greenpoint and he loves it. I understand the NYC vibe much better since I left.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2019, 07:42:31 PM »
Unlike Mullin, I'm sure one of the criteria that Cragg is looking for in our next coach is a tireless worker with a track record of successful recruiting.

The days of having a roster filled with 50% transfers and JUCO's will be over and thankfully so. We saw how well that worked out over the last 4 years. Recruiting HS kids is the lifeblood of 99% of the successful programs out there.

Texas tech...

Johnny23

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2019, 07:59:18 PM »
Texas tech...

The 1%. Not to mention TT had 4 transfers/JUCO's total on their roster. Not nearly as reliant as we were with almost double that number.

pmg911

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2019, 09:37:52 AM »
Well I am astonished...

Not sure how the school will spin it but he turned them down, he was offered the job and said no...

sju89tr

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2019, 10:59:39 AM »
Well I am astonished...

Not sure how the school will spin it but he turned them down, he was offered the job and said no...

Cragg got played and Hurley got more money.

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2019, 11:01:34 AM »
Well I am astonished...

Is it possible that we didn't meet his financial requirements?  Maybe Cragg and Gempeshaw tried to offer him a deal a sub 3 million deal and it just didn't make fiscal sense for Bobby to leave. If we actually offered him enough money and he still burned us then that's super embarrassing.

sju89tr

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2019, 11:19:30 AM »
Is it possible that we didn't meet his financial requirements?  Maybe Cragg and Gempeshaw tried to offer him a deal a sub 3 million deal and it just didn't make fiscal sense for Bobby to leave. If we actually offered him enough money and he still burned us then that's super embarrassing.

We obviously couldn't meet his price.

I am not upset about not getting Hurley

I don't think he's a Jay Wright   

At this point, interview a few potentially good coaches and see if we can have a future

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2019, 11:58:52 AM »
asking price was between 3-3.5

sju89tr

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2019, 01:41:49 PM »
asking price was between 3-3.5

I think Cronin got 4 from UCLA per on average