Our fan base...

• 19 replies

pmg911

Our fan base...
« on: April 15, 2019, 09:08:03 AM »
I had such a great experience on #3 train this morning on ride from Times Square on Wall Street...  LOL

I see a guy wearing nice St. John's jacket and I ask him if he thinks they get a new Coach soon. The guy immediately raises his voice and starts telling me how the schools sucks, the AD sucks, the program is a joke, shouldn't have hired a Duke guy....   how can you not have a back up plan in place...    how can they let Bobby Hurley get away...

He wasn't yelling at me but definitely had his voice raised to the point where other people were looking and I couldn't literally get a word in....   we both get off at Wall Street Station and we start to go in different directions but he is still complaining as he walks in the other direction...

I have said it before, St. John's has WORST fans in college basketball

Happy Monday..!!

SJUFAN

Re: Our fan base...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 09:29:52 AM »
I had such a great experience on #3 train this morning on ride from Times Square on Wall Street...  LOL

I see a guy wearing nice St. John's jacket and I ask him if he thinks they get a new Coach soon. The guy immediately raises his voice and starts telling me how the schools sucks, the AD sucks, the program is a joke, shouldn't have hired a Duke guy....   how can you not have a back up plan in place...    how can they let Bobby Hurley get away...

He wasn't yelling at me but definitely had his voice raised to the point where other people were looking and I couldn't literally get a word in....   we both get off at Wall Street Station and we start to go in different directions but he is still complaining as he walks in the other direction...

Happy Monday..!!

Maybe the Athletic department should do something to make the fan base proud? Just a thought.

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 09:33:16 AM »

Happy Monday..!!

You didn’t happen to see what size shirt he wore did you?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 09:46:45 AM »

Happy Monday..!!

Are you talking about the people who went to the sold out DePaul game at Carnesecca Arena or the sold out Little Sisters of the Poor game at Carnesecca arena at 6:00 on a Tuesday?

Those people?

Those people who have waited 19 years for a tournament win and 20 years for a respectable tournament win?

Those people? Ok.

Winners have more fans. We started off winning, so we sold tickets. It’s not an ounce more complicated than that.

goredmen

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 09:54:41 AM »
Ah yes, one nutjob on the train in NYC is representative of all SJU fans

Johnny23

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 10:39:48 AM »
The fans aren't the problem and never have been. Winning solves all.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 10:50:11 AM »
Are you talking about the people who went to the sold out DePaul game at Carnesecca Arena or the sold out Little Sisters of the Poor game at Carnesecca arena at 6:00 on a Tuesday?

Those people?

Those people who have waited 19 years for a tournament win and 20 years for a respectable tournament win?

Those people? Ok.

Winners have more fans. We started off winning, so we sold tickets. It’s not an ounce more complicated than that.

No, it is the 1,500 psychos that want every coach fired and refuse to accept the reality that St. John’s isn’t a good job. The people that take the attitude of crappy professional sports fans and put it on a second tier college program.

They are the vocal minority and they are overrepresented due to social media and forums. Most don’t go to more than a game or two.

I went to a dinner event when Norm was coach. It was a 6:00 start on a weekday and there was some lunatic screaming at the table next to where Moose and I sat. I couldn’t tell if the guy was on drugs, drunk, unwell, or some combination of those but it scarred me. I was in my early 20s and never saw an adult act like that before. That guy is almost certainly a poster.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 10:50:52 AM »
Other than saying the school sucks (which I disagree with, many happy times undergrad and grad there), was he wrong? I think he was on to something- not having back-up plans in place and not spending money on coaches. The fans and alumni deserve better.

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 11:28:21 AM »
Not to mention the favorite little program across the river gets ZERO buzz and has little juice in their fan base despite going to the tourney for 4 straight years.  Our fans deserve immense credit for how we showed up this past year and in recent years.  Even the slightest hint of success and NY turns up for the Johnnies.

Those people?

Those people? Ok.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 12:11:19 PM »
PMG, I'll continue to tell you or anyone else this is nothing but hyperbole.  There's nothing you can base it on other than pushing an agenda or projecting some form of insecurities.  Otherwise, it's simply exaggeration.

Even if by chance your point has merit.....  It's warranted.

Tell you what, though.....  Go scour message boards of our conference brethren and see how they act.  Better yet, go scour the message boards of perennial top 25 teams and blue-blood programs, and come check back with us.

I personally know a bunch of UNC and Duke fans, and I can tell you a few of 'em can be "over-the-top."    I can only imagine how those few would be if they rooted for the Johnnies. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:17:27 PM by mjdinkins »

redslope

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 02:01:22 PM »
PMG--what can you expect form a New Yorker who has just ridden the 3 Train and has not had his coffee yet.  Us NYers are chronic complainers; it is always something we need to blow off steam.  PS--hilarious encounter-only in NYC

pmg911

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 02:16:33 PM »
PMG, I'll continue to tell you or anyone else this is nothing but hyperbole.  There's nothing you can base it on other than pushing an agenda or projecting some form of insecurities.  Otherwise, it's simply exaggeration.

Even if by chance your point has merit.....  It's warranted.

Agenda.?  what could that possibly be, that is a comical statement. My thoughts about the program are irrelevant and meaningless, just like everyone else's who posts on this board.

I want to cheer for a good basketball team but I am not yearning for the good ole days like most of the fan base.

The world of college basketball has changed and the St. John's fan base, in general, is not living in reality anymore. It's one thing to love the program and want it to be successful, it's another to think they should be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of the true blood bloods of the sport. Just the fact that use UNC & Duke as to compare the fans proves my point. Those programs are elite and theirs fans can fairly expect elite; St. John's is not an elite or program anymore but yet the fan base thinks it is. Hopefully it is again one day.

**the point of the post was to share a funny story that happened at 7:00am on a random Monday on the NYC subway. Maybe it hit a nerve because it hit a little close to home.

pmg911

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 02:36:05 PM »
PMG--what can you expect form a New Yorker who has just ridden the 3 Train and has not had his coffee yet.  Us NYers are chronic complainers; it is always something we need to blow off steam.  PS--hilarious encounter-only in NYC

exactly...

ras

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 03:47:12 PM »
Interesting story. NYers are tough fans. Win and things are great , loose and you hear about it. Saying we have the worst fan base is what posters have a problem w., not the story. We have had little to cheer about in the last 20 years.

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 07:26:22 PM »
The only disgruntled fans I witness are on this board. I never see upset fans  outside JJ.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:27:16 PM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 08:04:46 PM »
Agenda.?  what could that possibly be, that is a comical statement. My thoughts about the program are irrelevant and meaningless, just like everyone else's who posts on this board.

I want to cheer for a good basketball team but I am not yearning for the good ole days like most of the fan base.

The world of college basketball has changed and the St. John's fan base, in general, is not living in reality anymore. It's one thing to love the program and want it to be successful, it's another to think they should be mentioned in the same breath as the likes of the true blood bloods of the sport. Just the fact that use UNC & Duke as to compare the fans proves my point. Those programs are elite and theirs fans can fairly expect elite; St. John's is not an elite or program anymore but yet the fan base thinks it is. Hopefully it is again one day.

**the point of the post was to share a funny story that happened at 7:00am on a random Monday on the NYC subway. Maybe it hit a nerve because it hit a little close to home.

Nah, not even close to hitting a nerve.  I understand you was sharing a funny, but you often say the phrase, so it must bother you.  I just stated it's hyperbolic or something else attached to it. 

Dude, there are fans like ours that exist all over the place.  Frankly, it's even scarier how fans of more successful programs act.  It has nothing to do with whether you still consider the program to be elite or not.  It's just how fans are for the most part with any team, period.  That's my point that you can't seem to understand.     
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:05:25 PM by mjdinkins »

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 08:35:43 PM »
The only disgruntled fans I witness are on this board. I never see upset fans  outside JJ.

Redmen and twitter as well. The first law of social media is that negative people will be overrepresented.

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 11:13:09 PM »
Redmen and twitter as well. The first law of social media is that negative people will be overrepresented.

Fans and alumni don't have a right to be angry? You ax Chris Mullin, a legend for a mid-major coach. Yes, Mullin was not a good coach but he deserved another year with a better staff and then we can have this convo and throw more money at better prospects next year with less buyout issues to be concerned about. This whole athletic department is so damn dysfunctional.

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 08:01:58 AM »

Happy Monday..!!

Happy Monday..!!

I'll concede it's the worst fan base in the country.  The problem is those who are still under the illusion St John's can be a blue blood if it wants.  Reality is...the "front office" doesn't want it and the older fan base doesn't get it.

St John's is a solid mid-major program that brainwashes fans into believing it's "New York's Team" that plays in the "world's greatest arena".

The fan base would be happier if they weren't lied to. Forget the foolish rumors that "name" coaches were interviewed.  Name coaches laugh at us.  Bring in a mildly successful mid-major coach.  Move to a mid-major conference (switch places with Hofstra or Iona?) and get to the NCAA tournament frequently.  We'd be one and done anyway...but at least we'd be in a conference we could win.

That's a formula for a more excited fan base.

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 01:57:29 AM »
I'll concede it's the worst fan base in the country.  The problem is those who are still under the illusion St John's can be a blue blood if it wants.  Reality is...the "front office" doesn't want it and the older fan base doesn't get it.

St John's is a solid mid-major program that brainwashes fans into believing it's "New York's Team" that plays in the "world's greatest arena".

The fan base would be happier if they weren't lied to. Forget the foolish rumors that "name" coaches were interviewed.  Name coaches laugh at us.  Bring in a mildly successful mid-major coach.  Move to a mid-major conference (switch places with Hofstra or Iona?) and get to the NCAA tournament frequently.  We'd be one and done anyway...but at least we'd be in a conference we could win.

That's a formula for a more excited fan base.
Wrong.

No right minded fans want us to voluntarily leave the BE for the MAC or Colonial because we would have a shot of winning those conferences.  We like the conference we're in and the WMF arena we play in. It's the musical coaches game that's tiresome.