Mike Repole Rips SJU and Administration to Pieces

• 31 replies

Foad

Re: Mike Repole Rips SJU and Administration to Pieces
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 08:56:20 PM »
I can't help but be upset and ashamed. It's a really sad state of affairs and the worst time as an SJU fan I can remember. The fact that it's snowballed into SJU being a national embarrassment is what's so upsetting.

Repole is flat out saying he will help, academically and financially and he's being told no? What kind of ass backwards thinking is that? Why does Oliva, Gempesaw and the board think they don't need help, from an educated billionaire alumnus?

Embarrassing.

Never fear. 100 percent fact that Mike Brey is being 100 percent interviewed on Holy Saturday. 100 percent. Program 100 percent rises from the ashes Easter Sunday. Monday at the latest. 100 percent.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 08:57:21 PM »
Drain the swamp ...

Repole spoke very fairly about CM too.

desco80

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2019, 09:22:24 PM »
Obama and Biden ran the executive branch for eight years.

MacArthur Fellows compared to the dullard who occupies the office now, and who pointedly has been unable to fill half his administration with qualified personnel.

Good for Repole though.  Hopefully this was a public shot across the bow in some internal power battle that most of us arent privy to.

Theres a legitimate argument to be made about not (continually) wasting millions on an athletic program.  But that doesnt stand up to scrutiny when there are donors willing to pay the buyouts/salaries of the next coach.  Or even substantially offset it.

I'm holding out hope there is a dark horse candidate.  But the lesson here is to find continuity.  Financial considerations multiply when you do this every 4 years.

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 10:57:31 PM »
How about simply letting Cragg do his job?

Program is at rock bottom. Time to clean house

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 11:29:57 PM »
This is a total embarrassment. Why would Gemp hire Cragg to not let him have full authority on who he hires? How does the board not listen to its biggest donor and someone who is really passionate about St. John's in Repole. This all makes no sense at all to me. The sad truth of it is that Bobby G will most definitely not step down and we will be a horribly run program for years to come.

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2019, 12:00:01 AM »
Never fear. 100 percent fact that Mike Brey is being 100 percent interviewed on Holy Saturday. 100 percent. Program 100 percent rises from the ashes Easter Sunday. Monday at the latest. 100 percent.

Like it!

I am still waiting for the ultimate M. Night Shyamalan twist...Pitino. There must be a US Attorney with Johnnies roots willing to say "sorry bud."

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2019, 12:02:19 AM »
The powers that be are shortsighted and have been for a long time. Spend 3.5 mill on a great coach and get that back 3-4x over with a top notch basketball program and all that brings.

I would have never considered St. John’s if it didn’t have a successful basketball program at the time. Many others are in the same boat. It helps offset some of the school’s shortcomings.

Sold out MSG, more events, more donations, more publicity, more red and white memberships, more school spirit, more qualified students applying, more Tournament $, etc. Isn’t that worth 1.5 mill up front?

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2019, 12:05:48 AM »
Repole just gave Cragg all the leverage in the world. Let’s see if Cragg is smart enough to use it.

If I were him I’d call a meeting with them and tell them I am the AD and you either let me make this hire or I will resign and go the press. That will cost both men their jobs. They are dead men walking.

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2019, 12:15:27 AM »

Like it!

I am still waiting for the ultimate M. Night Shyamalan twist...Pitino. There must be a US Attorney with Johnnies roots willing to say "sorry bud."

*Maybe Repole can throw in a quality thoroughbred named Innocence is Bliss or something clever like that to get Rickster on board. I would support it!

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2019, 07:47:12 AM »
Repole just gave Cragg all the leverage in the world. Let’s see if Cragg is smart enough to use it.

If I were him I’d call a meeting with them and tell them I am the AD and you either let me make this hire or I will resign and go the press. That will cost both men their jobs. They are dead men walking.

I hope this is the case. You have to think if Repole threatens to withhold money, and Cragg threatens to resign, the two boneheads will step aside.

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2019, 12:45:49 PM »
I hope this is the case. You have to think if Repole threatens to withhold money, and Cragg threatens to resign, the two boneheads will step aside.

I don't know all the details but I'm pretty sure Lavin's fallout with Repole played a large factor in his fate.

Need more people like Cragg who have had success at other universities. There are too many lifers at St. John's who have no experience outside of Union and Utopia.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Tha Kid

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2019, 07:39:20 PM »

Bingo.
"I drink and I know things"