Players to target

• 76 replies

Rodman

Re: Players to target
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2019, 08:07:00 PM »
If this is a taste of how Arkansas played both defense and offense ... hmmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSWB0xUP3hg

I'm sold.  He was able to beat Providence with a young team.  Our previous coach was not able to beat Providence with a veteran team.  It will be nice to have a team that is well coached.  Should definitely help with recruiting.  Things are looking up.

SJUFAN

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2019, 09:38:42 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/1119322848265474050?s=20

It’s all about relationships. That’s why the previous staff failed. These are young men who need guidance, they’re not professionals. No way Owens and Sima shouldn’t have been on our team. They didn’t leave because they were afraid of competing. The staff failed. We’ve always got good players. We need to keep them, and coach them, and we’ll be alright.

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2019, 09:57:18 PM »
We need two PGs and a big man for 2019.

Our core is pretty solid all things considered:

Williams
Wright
Heron
Figgy
Caraher
Earlington
Roberts
Steere

Is Ian Steere been approved to play at the start of the season next year?  Or is he not eligible until December?

Poison

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2019, 10:53:59 PM »
Is Ian Steere been approved to play at the start of the season next year?  Or is he not eligible until December?

He won’t be eligible until Dec earliest because he played for NC State in Nov 2018.

That means we have Keita, Roberts and maybe Earlington inside.

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2019, 11:09:57 PM »
He won’t be eligible until Dec earliest because he played for NC State in Nov 2018.

Ah ok, I was reading an article, said he was trying to get a waiver, I'm assuming that it was denied?

goredmen

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 11:12:15 PM »
Ah ok, I was reading an article, said he was trying to get a waiver, I'm assuming that it was denied?

Don't think anything has been decided on the waiver yet. I think there's a decent chance he'll be able to play the whole season

Poison

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2019, 11:18:48 PM »

That i don’t know, but if he does get a waiver we’ll be talking about it here.

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2019, 01:14:36 AM »
Cool, thanks for info guys.  I do know Anderson recruited Steere when he was at Arkansas so the staff is very familiar with his game, I believe Watkins was the lead recruiter for him.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 01:15:04 AM by MakingPlays »

goredmen

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2019, 01:23:31 AM »
Cool, thanks for info guys.  I do know Anderson recruited Steere when he was at Arkansas so the staff is very familiar with his game, I believe Watkins was the lead recruiter for him.

Going to be interesting to see how the staff shakes out. I know Watkins and Cleveland are very close to Anderson and have been for years. Also the SJU AD wants influence on the hires and likes Borman and Hsu. Maybe one of Watkins or Cleveland gets put in a DOBO type role? I don’t know how they are gonna fit all 4 guys

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2019, 02:12:04 AM »
Melvin can coach and TJ can recruit. Don't think either has any real NYC connections though so a guy with local aau ties is a must.

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2019, 02:17:51 AM »
St John's is the only NYC program the rest of the country has heard of. You already have the brand, you just have to take advantage of your natural...well, advantage. I don't think ya'll are capitalizing enough on the fact that you get to play your home games in New York Freaking City.

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2019, 02:41:46 AM »
Going to be interesting to see how the staff shakes out. I know Watkins and Cleveland are very close to Anderson and have been for years. Also the SJU AD wants influence on the hires and likes Borman and Hsu. Maybe one of Watkins or Cleveland gets put in a DOBO type role? I don’t know how they are gonna fit all 4 guys

I don't think either Cleveland or Watkins would be put as DOBO.  Cleveland has been linked to several head coaching jobs over the past couple years, he's been invited to most if not all of the coaching seminars that go on during the summer, he's a respected assistant coach that's proven his worth with his recruiting in the JUCO ranks.  Watkins is a long time associate head coach for Anderson going back to his Mizzou days, if he's still wanting to be apart of staff I don't see Anderson demoting him to DOBO.

I'm thinking staff probably ends up like this...

Watkins - Associate Head Coach
Cleveland - Assistant Coach
HSU - Assistant Coach
Boreman - Special Assistant to Head Coach or Director of Basketball Operations.

Johnny23

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2019, 07:00:50 AM »
St John's is the only NYC program the rest of the country has heard of. You already have the brand, you just have to take advantage of your natural...well, advantage. I don't think ya'll are capitalizing enough on the fact that you get to play your home games in New York Freaking City.

In Madison Square Freaking Garden.

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2019, 08:02:14 AM »

Didn't he only play a few mins in NC states first game before deciding to transfer?  I 100% understand holding people to the letter of the law but it would really suck for steere to lose half a year's worth of eligibility for a few mins of action.

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2019, 08:04:09 AM »
I don't think either Cleveland or Watkins would be put as DOBO.  Cleveland has been linked to several head coaching jobs over the past couple years, he's been invited to most if not all of the coaching seminars that go on during the summer, he's a respected assistant coach that's proven his worth with his recruiting in the JUCO ranks.  Watkins is a long time associate head coach for Anderson going back to his Mizzou days, if he's still wanting to be apart of staff I don't see Anderson demoting him to DOBO.

HSU - Assistant Coach
This is my dream scenario for how the staff could realistically shape up. I haven't seen anyone else mention borman as a candidate for dobo but I don't understand why he wouldn't be.

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2019, 09:22:38 AM »

HSU - Assistant Coach

Borman as DOBO would close off any rens pipeline for 2 years. Idk how but Anderson will have to get savvy with putting together his staff.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2019, 10:07:44 AM »
Borman as DOBO would close off any rens pipeline for 2 years. Idk how but Anderson will have to get savvy with putting together his staff.
Ahh thanks for the info.  That obviously completely throws that idea out the window.

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2019, 10:12:48 AM »

How so?  Borman as DOBO is still allowed to make introductions and give them info on the kids, and I believe he can even tag along on some recruiting trips.  I know that's how the staff brought along Scotty Thurman before making him an assistant. 

Only thing Borman wouldn't be able to do as a DOBO would be going on those recruiting trips alone and making phone calls.  It would actually probably be better for him to learn how the college game works first as a DOBO instead of just jumping into it as an assistant with no experience in that department.  Most AAU guys coming into programs with no experience, at the high major level, don't start off directly as assistants.  I see a lot of them get that "Special Assistant to the Coach" title. 

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2019, 10:56:12 AM »
How so?  Borman as DOBO is still allowed to make introductions and give them info on the kids, and I believe he can even tag along on some recruiting trips.  I know that's how the staff brought along Scotty Thurman before making him an assistant. 

Only thing Borman wouldn't be able to do as a DOBO would be going on those recruiting trips alone and making phone calls.  It would actually probably be better for him to learn how the college game works first as a DOBO instead of just jumping into it as an assistant with no experience in that department.  Most AAU guys coming into programs with no experience, at the high major level, don't start off directly as assistants.  I see a lot of them get that "Special Assistant to the Coach" title. 

Nothing to do with his function in the role. Only the three main assistants can have their recruits/players follow them. DOBO and administrational positions can’t have players they coached follow them to their school for two years after being hired.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.