Goals

• 15 replies
Goals
« on: April 20, 2019, 07:30:53 AM »
What are the goals for Mike Anderson and what will make his tenure a success over the next 5 years?

Going into Mullins tenure, I though a success would be exceeding what Lavin did (2 ncaa and 2 nit in 5 years).  Obviously Mullin did not do that.

I would say over the next 5 years, if Anderson:
(1) makes 2-3 NCAAs
(2) wins a game in the NCAAs, and
(3) has us advance to the Friday in the big east tournament at least once,
this will be successful in terms of improving on his immediate predecessors. I also think he’s certainly capable of those things.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 07:31:50 AM by apesNapes »

Johnny23

Re: Goals
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 07:33:24 AM »
I think everyone on this board would sign up for that success.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 12:11:26 PM »
Anderson has a running start that Mullin didn't. He's got 2019 and 2020 interest from recruits, he's got some players he can bring with him, he has a system that has a higher floor, and he's inheriting a core with 7-8 Big East players including two NBA second round caliber talents.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 12:26:08 PM »
Anderson has a running start that Mullin didn't. He's got 2019 and 2020 interest from recruits, he's got some players he can bring with him, he has a system that has a higher floor, and he's inheriting a core with 7-8 Big East players including two NBA second round caliber talents.

Personally after the week that was and where my head was when it looked like Jones would be our coach, I would be happy with .500 next year and progress as a program. With that said, I don’t think there is another team in the BE returning 2 14 point scorers. Team isn’t barren of talent just need some ball handlers and a good summer from Williams.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 12:56:22 PM »
Personally after the week that was and where my head was when it looked like Jones would be our coach, I would be happy with .500 next year and progress as a program. With that said, I don’t think there is another team in the BE returning 2 14 point scorers. Team isn’t barren of talent just need some ball handlers and a good summer from Williams.

Two ball-handlers and we dance. Add a decent big man on top of that (Anderson and staff have warm interest from a few uncommitted guys in 2019) and we can do damage.

HSU can single-handedly take care of that.  Assuming no more major departures, I think we are better 2-5.  Roberts has to be happy as can be with this change.  He's exactly what Anderson looks for.  Willams too.

Jones would have caused me to walk away.  As a basketball coach he's a loser.  So is his brother. Anderson was a surprisingly good hire, but the fact that he wasn't even contacted until Wednesday shows how much of a sh*t show this search was.  I send strongly worded e-mails to Oliva and everyone I could get a hold of about Hewitt and Jones.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 12:58:44 PM by Marillac »

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 01:02:07 PM »

PG -
SG - Heron, Wright, Williams
SF - LJ, Caraher
PF - Earlington, Roberts,
C - Steere, Kieta

Yup No PG ... not sure about a dire need for another big man if Earlington emerges strong ...

ras

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 01:12:52 PM »
Have to teach Williams PG skills and get another one on board. If core stays intact I see a starting lineup of Williams ,Wright  Heron , LJ  And Steere. Pretty good.

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 01:33:11 PM »
I've been catching myself up and St. John's roster and watching some highlights of some of the key players, and some of them I'm familiar with from the SEC... Like Heron, Wright, and Kieta.

And just from looking at the roster and who you guys have returning.  I feel pretty confident if LJ and Heron stay, and Steere is available for the entire season, St. John's will be in the NCAA tournament next year under Anderson.   You give him a veteran back court and that's all he really needs.  I don't think he's ever missed the tournament with 2 seniors starting in his back court.  He'll get a JUCO or grad transfer PG here and fill in the rest, he'll probably have 1 or 2 guys that transfer and sit out to learn the system. 

You guys actually have a pretty solid roster.  I know the Arkansas staff really wanted Ian Steere and recruited him pretty hard.  Caraher looks like a player as well, he's going to get a lot of open shots in this system.  Kieta will look good in Anderson's system as well, he'll be a hustle, rebound, defensive guy, he won't need to score to much.  I also really like Wright, he'll be a good 8th or 9th man off the bench.

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 11:50:21 AM »
What are the goals for Mike Anderson and what will make his tenure a success over the next 5 years?

Going into Mullins tenure, I though a success would be exceeding what Lavin did (2 ncaa and 2 nit in 5 years).  Obviously Mullin did not do that.

I would say over the next 5 years, if Anderson:
(1) makes 2-3 NCAAs
(2) wins a game in the NCAAs, and
(3) has us advance to the Friday in the big east tournament at least once,
this will be successful in terms of improving on his immediate predecessors. I also think he’s certainly capable of those things.

They are quite ambitious goals. If he achieves that he's the best coach we've had this century with no close second.

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 12:42:57 PM »
I figure y’all will be in the tourney Atleast two times in the next 5 years, Mike usually schedules a pretty easy non-conf schedule but if he wants to make the tourney more he needs to make a better OOC schedule and get a few good wins.

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 12:54:26 PM »
Mike usually schedules a pretty easy non-conf schedule but if he wants to make the tourney more he needs to make a better OOC schedule and get a few good wins.
Won't be a change for us. The last coach took A LOT of heat for his perceived soft OOC schedule and in the end it turned out to be what got us into the Ncaa tournament.

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 01:02:53 PM »
Won't be a change for us. The last coach took A LOT of heat for his perceived soft OOC schedule and in the end it turned out to be what got us into the Ncaa tournament.
Perceived? Think for a few seconds why the last coach took heat. Maybe in his next job (that’s a joke, no one will hire his lazy ass) he will do better

Poison

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 08:02:58 PM »
Have to teach Williams PG skills and get another one on board. If core stays intact I see a starting lineup of Williams ,Wright  Heron , LJ  And Steere. Pretty good.

Williams isn’t a point guard. Right now, he’s not even a 2 guard. He would need to make a shocking jump in terms of improvement before he should be mentioned as a starter.

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 08:41:38 PM »

I think we are better 2-5 than last year. The problem is that we have zero ball handlers. That’s not a tough hole to fill for the right staff. One JUCO and one grad transfer. Boom.

Jaylen Fisher from Memphis is from Anderson’s backyard.

The type of system Anderson runs can be successful early as it has a high floor.

Williams and Roberts will be ready to be contributors and that is a huge boost.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 08:48:49 PM »
Williams isn’t a point guard. Right now, he’s not even a 2 guard. He would need to make a shocking jump in terms of improvement before he should be mentioned as a starter.

Stay in your lane...I’m the resident “not a point guard” guy on the forum. I actually think he will be a PG although I doubt it’s next year.
He won’t be a born PG but I see him as a Carrington type of converted PG.

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 09:31:48 PM »
Perceived? Think for a few seconds why the last coach took heat. Maybe in his next job (that’s a joke, no one will hire his lazy ass) he will do better
I know why the last coach took heat.

Question: If the out of conference schedule was so weak, how did a team with an 8 and 10 conference record that virtually collapsed down the stretch qualify for the Ncaa tournament? Over 3 teams with a better conference record no less.