Unanswered questions????????

• 61 replies

hnk

Unanswered questions????????
« on: April 21, 2019, 05:45:51 PM »

Excited and hopeful about the future, but before we turn the page, does anyone know:

1) The real Slice story?

2) Was Coach Mullin forced out?

3) Why did no one else recruit besides Matt?

4) Was Matt leaving no matter what or did he know Coach Mullin was gone?

5) Why did Tariq leave? Was it not getting along with Ponds?

6) Is Mike Repole back in the fold? Has he helped the last four years?

7) Are Mustapha and LJ recommitted?

8) Are they still raising ticket prices for next year?

Poison

Re: Unanswered questions????????
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 06:05:01 PM »
Excited and hopeful about the future, but before we turn the page, does anyone know:

1) The real Slice story?

Here’s my take. (Mostly guesses)

1) The real Slice story? He left because he didn’t like that Matt was offering kids without conferring with him. In retrospect, Matt was massively flawed recruiter.

2) Was Coach Mullin forced out? Yes. I’m hopeful that he was pushed out because he’s terrible at coaching.

3) Why did no one else recruit besides Matt? They’re lazy.

5) Why did Tariq leave? Was it not getting along with Ponds? He left because Mullin is a shit coach. We already know this.

Repole was clear during the interview that Gempesaw hand picked Mullin.

7) Are Mustapha and LJ recommitted? No word yet.

8) Are they still raising ticket prices for next year? Of course.

hnk

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 06:34:00 PM »
Thanks Poison, I'm interested in other's thoughts, biased and unbiased, so I can piece together the true picture.

I think lifelong fans particularly decades long  season ticket holders have a right to know.

I wonder how Zach and Zags would answer these questions.

I've heard rumors they were planning to make you pay just for the right to buy seats as the Giants and Jets do.   I guess the plan is/was to use the $$$$$ to improve Carnesecca.  Now, they probably have to wait at least one more year to implement.

hnk

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 06:39:03 PM »
Are we still paying Coach Mullin? Slice?  Are we going to have to keep paying any of the other Mullin assistants who may not be retained?

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 06:42:01 PM »
The reason why Matt did all the recruiting is because that is  all he can do. He’s 5’3 and never played. He has no ambition to be a head coach because he knows his limitations.

GSJ would run through a wall for this program. You think he wouldn’t recruit?

Mitch did nothing and Matt couldn’t coach so GSJ had to do the work of 3. Can you imagine Matt in a film room lol!!!!

Foad

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 06:50:51 PM »
Here’s my take. (Mostly guesses)

1) In retrospect, Matt was massively flawed recruiter.

Mullin's staff recruited: Ponds, Heron, Figueroa, Clarke, Simon, Williams, Wright, Caraher, Steere, Lovett and Keita. According to you the recruitment of those players was "massively flawed."

As a respected poster who just last year created an entire thread dedicated to the loss of walk on Elijah Holifield to the Prairie View A&M Panthers (http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=10548.0, "Too bad. Would have been nice to see him turn into a contributor as a senior"), where he played an entire 10 minutes this past year, can you explain how the recruitment of the those players was massively flawed and hopefully in excruciating detail? Thanks in advance stupid

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 07:26:21 PM »
He recruited a cross dressing career criminal and was basically a used car salesman to guys who couldn’t play at better schools.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 07:27:42 PM »
Thanks Poison, I'm interested in other's thoughts, biased and unbiased, so I can piece together the true picture.

I think lifelong fans particularly decades long  season ticket holders have a right to know.

I wonder how Zach and Zags would answer these questions.

I've heard rumors they were planning to make you pay just for the right to buy seats as the Giants and Jets do.   I guess the plan is/was to use the $$$$$ to improve Carnesecca.  Now, they probably have to wait at least one more year to implement.

The nerve of administration is incredible. They do a terrible job and raise prices.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 07:31:46 PM »
Mullin's staff recruited: Ponds, Heron, Figueroa, Clarke, Simon, Williams, Wright, Caraher, Steere, Lovett and Keita. According to you the recruitment of those players was "massively flawed."

As a respected poster who just last year created an entire thread dedicated to the loss of walk on Elijah Holifield to the Prairie View A&M Panthers (http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=10548.0, "Too bad. Would have been nice to see him turn into a contributor as a senior"), where he played an entire 10 minutes this past year, can you explain how the recruitment of the those players was massively flawed and hopefully in excruciating detail? Thanks in advance stupid

Half the guys you listed you haven’t even seen play, and one of them is Keita.

You don’t like Lavin. We all get it.

It must be hard to accept that Mullin wasn’t as good as Lavin.

But to answer the question that I’ve answered for you hundreds of times, Matt didn’t recruit a full team. That, combined with Chris Mullin, many of our players actually regressed since coming here.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 07:57:17 PM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 08:30:58 PM »
Heron and Ponds were slice guys regardless of what you heard.

Foad

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 09:22:42 PM »
But to answer the question that I’ve answered for you hundreds of times, 

Yeah no stupid, you didn't answer the question, you avoided the question entirely as usual with your usual non sequiturs and twaddle. The question was: you said that the recruiting under the prior staff - a staff that you thinks stunk made the NCAA tournament - was massively flawed. So to recap: the staff was awful and the personal was flawed and despite that they made the NCAA tournament. I guess the gods were on our side, weren't they stupid. Whereas in fact the massively flawed roster comprised a bunch of players who were as good as any players that have been here since 2000. Ponds, Heron, LJF, Simon. You find their recruitment flawed and on the other hand devote threads to how terrible it is that walk-ons transfer. Explain that: explain how the recruitment of players who were better than most players we've ever had at SJ was flawed and relate it to the walk ons leaving you wept about like a big girl's blouse. Don't mention Lavin. Don't mention Mullin. The question has nothing to do with them, it has to do with you and your idiotic pontifications. Try and answer and I'll award you bonus point if you work Mickey Mantle into it. Stupid.

The only thing about you I don't understand is whether you're congenitally stupid or willfully so. Because you're not smart enough to be both.

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 09:31:30 PM »

1) The real Slice story?

2. Was Mullin forced out? Cragg knew a change needed to be made. Mullin "stepped down" for optics, but I'm positive he was bought out.

3. I know Matt was unhappy with the relationship he had with the entire staff dating back to last August around the time of the Rice being on campus for a meeting situation. Matt basically was fed up with doing all the leg work for recruiting and when he would ask Mullin to go meet with a family, and he'd not get an answer or Mullin said no, he was basically just at his wits end.

4. Matt was leaving unless major staff changes were made this year from what I was told

5. I think Tariq and his dad saw he wasn't being developed and didn't like his usage so they bolted. Safe to say he made a good decision

6. Idk what Repole's involvement has been the last few years but I heard about the 100k check he gave Cragg back in January, he told the story on Francesa's show. I also heard associated with that story was he would give more $ when Mullin was gone. That part contradicts how glowingly he spoke about Mullin with Francesa so who knows.

7. Signs pointing to Yes for Heron and LJ as of Friday looking likely
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 09:32:43 PM by P1NSTR1PEZ »

Foad

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 09:35:59 PM »

You need to take a nice long lie down on the sofa. Because you're becoming increasingly delusional.

Foad

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 09:37:40 PM »
2. Was Mullin forced out? Cragg knew a change needed to be made. Mullin "stepped down" for optics, but I'm positive he was bought out.

3. I know Matt was unhappy with the relationship he had with the entire staff dating back to last August around the time of the Rice being on campus for a meeting situation. Matt basically was fed up with doing all the leg work for recruiting and when he would ask Mullin to go meet with a family, and he'd not get an answer or Mullin said no, he was basically just at his wits end.

4. Matt was leaving unless major staff changes were made this year from what I was told

5. I think Tariq and his dad saw he wasn't being developed and didn't like his usage so they bolted. Safe to say he made a good decision

6. Idk what Repole's involvement has been the last few years but I heard about the 100k check he gave Cragg back in January, he told the story on Francesa's show. I also heard associated with that story was he would give more $ when Mullin was gone. That part contradicts how glowingly he spoke about Mullin with Francesa so who knows.

7. Signs pointing to Yes for Heron and LJ as of Friday looking likely

8. Fact. Mike Brey is 100 percent coming in for a 100 percent interview on 100 percent Monday, 100 percent fact.

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 09:52:23 PM »
They did speak to Brey

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 10:07:43 PM »
Well, one thing is for sure. CMA is inheriting a much better roster than Lavin's imagination passed on to Mullin ... Heron, LG, Williams, Keita, Steere, Roberts, Earlington, Wright and Caraher ... and 2-3 players away from being very competitive, which means the roster balance was underway.

CMA became HC after a rigourous stint as AC under Richardson. Mullin had zero experience and the idea i guess on the administration side was to learn on the job. There are many ACs who even when they finally make the jump up to HCs struggle for a few years even Jay Wright. Some points of contention are that Lavin had years of AC and HC experience and so in comparison with someone with no AC or HC experience proved rather underwhelming. The way i see it Mullin was always on a progression demonstrated by the roster he's leaving while Lavin severely underperformed with the caliber of players he drafted and couldnt have cared less how he left the programme. 

Poison

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 10:13:38 PM »
Yeah no stupid, you didn't answer the question, you avoided the question entirely as usual with your usual non sequiturs and twaddle. The question was: you said that the recruiting under the prior staff - a staff that you thinks stunk made the NCAA tournament - was massively flawed. So to recap: the staff was awful and the personal was flawed and despite that they made the NCAA tournament. I guess the gods were on our side, weren't they stupid. Whereas in fact the massively flawed roster comprised a bunch of players who were as good as any players that have been here since 2000. Ponds, Heron, LJF, Simon. You find their recruitment flawed and on the other hand devote threads to how terrible it is that walk-ons transfer. Explain that: explain how the recruitment of players who were better than most players we've ever had at SJ was flawed and relate it to the walk ons leaving you wept about like a big girl's blouse. Don't mention Lavin. Don't mention Mullin. The question has nothing to do with them, it has to do with you and your idiotic pontifications. Try and answer and I'll award you bonus point if you work Mickey Mantle into it. Stupid.

The only thing about you I don't understand is whether you're congenitally stupid or willfully so. Because you're not smart enough to be both.

Remember when you said that Chris Mullin would be successful here because he's successful at everything he does? Man, you're one dumb F.

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 12:29:07 AM »

Slice had zero to do with Ponds. If anything he was a Tony Chiles guy.

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 01:13:58 AM »

That's inaccurate information. Heron at one point was a Slice recruit for Pitt but not for St. John's. I know there was a riff over Ponds. A lot of it was petty over roster control. Slice didn't think Ponds was good enough and wanted to focus efforts to I forget who. Maybe Rawle?

Regardless a lot of that was handled poorly by Mullin. He should have got those guys to put ego aside and work together.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2019, 01:24:39 AM »
He recruited a cross dressing career criminal and was basically a used car salesman to guys who couldn’t play at better schools.

I don't get the opposition to transfers. Name a guy on the roster who transferred in you wouldn't have taken out of high school?

Also transfers aren't 100% because "they weren't good enough" there are a lot of reasons why kids leave as do non student athletes.

The Zach Brown thing was crazy but taking chances and missing happens. Lavin + Norvel Pelle, Norm + Derwin Kitchen or Rodney Epperson. Coaches take risks on high potential guys all the time. Most times they don't pan out. Sometimes they do. Unfortunately St. John's has had to roll the dice to try and get over the hump.

The one thing I'll say is we should have taken less transfers once we secured roster balance to start building program culture. Can't be too transient and expect accountability. I think we were close to achieving that when Nate Tabor committed.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle