Spring Signing Period: 4 Spots

• 24 replies

QuanMan

Spring Signing Period: 4 Spots
« on: April 28, 2019, 12:34:56 PM »
Based off LJF working out in Taffner yesterday w Justin and Marv, just assuming the best, let's say we have 4 open spots to be acquired over the next 3 months:

PG: ?/GWill/?

A primary ball handler is sorely needed. Greg has to continue to develop this year before he's given the keys. Iron Mike landing a grad transfer PG would be best right now.

SG: Heron/Wright/?

SG outlook isn't bad between these two, but landing a microwave scorer or defensive hawk would help.

SF: LJF/Caraher/?

A 3rd SF can be overlooked to fill voids at other positions (assuming we have LJF).

PF: Steere/Earlington/?

This is a area that needs to be addressed. I'm not sure about Steere's rebounding prowess, a banger with a aptitude to clean the glass and play D would be nice to land.

C: Keita/Roberts

I actually like the prospect of these guys manning the post together underneath CMA's guidance. We all know that the Center position was a area that was under utilized and not featured in Mullin's pro spread offense. I'd like another body here obviously given the combined production from Keita/JRob last year.

4 spots:

CMA's offense is frenetic and his full court press defense demands depth. This isn't a bad core to work with when complimented with 4-5 other guys that can fill out our voids. There's some work to do on the recruiting trails, but I'm not closing the book on what this team can do next year until this roster is complete.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 12:42:13 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

Re: Spring Signing Period: 4 Spots
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 02:17:05 PM »
You simply cannot go into a season with a front court of Steere/Roberts/Keita. Add a guy like Khadim Sy and I’m good with both spots.

You also can’t be successful without two natural ball handlers that can defend the point. Other than that I’m fine with the roster.

I think Trimble come back as well.

Johnny23

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 03:19:21 PM »
You simply cannot go into a season with a front court of Steere/Roberts/Keita. Add a guy like Khadim Sy and I’m good with both spots.

You also can’t be successful without two natural ball handlers that can defend the point. Other than that I’m fine with the roster.

Pretty much this.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 05:12:43 PM »
Based off LJF working out in Taffner yesterday w Justin and Marv, just assuming the best, let's say we have 4 open spots to be acquired over the next 3 months:

PG: ?/GWill/?

A primary ball handler is sorely needed. Greg has to continue to develop this year before he's given the keys. Iron Mike landing a grad transfer PG would be best right now.

SG: Heron/Wright/?

SG outlook isn't bad between these two, but landing a microwave scorer or defensive hawk would help.

SF: LJF/Caraher/?

A 3rd SF can be overlooked to fill voids at other positions (assuming we have LJF).

PF: Steere/Earlington/?

This is a area that needs to be addressed. I'm not sure about Steere's rebounding prowess, a banger with a aptitude to clean the glass and play D would be nice to land.

C: Keita/Roberts

I actually like the prospect of these guys manning the post together underneath CMA's guidance. We all know that the Center position was a area that was under utilized and not featured in Mullin's pro spread offense. I'd like another body here obviously given the combined production from Keita/JRob last year.

4 spots:

CMA's offense is frenetic and his full court press defense demands depth. This isn't a bad core to work with when complimented with 4-5 other guys that can fill out our voids. There's some work to do on the recruiting trails, but I'm not closing the book on what this team can do next year until this roster is complete.

Good stuff here Quanman.

Greg Williams can become an important part of the team as a reserve two guard, but I haven’t seen anything from him that says he can run the point.

You may need to look hard to find video of former two guard Derek Brown. A great athlete that became the victim of poor roster management and had to run the point. Only he had no ball skills so he ran it into the ground. He needed to be set up for plays to succeed, and back then no one on the team could pass the ball. Williams reminds me of Brown. He can jump and finish, but that’s about it.

Hopefully, they are able to add a grad transfer point guard as well as a juco or freshman, but two point guards are mandatory just to have a team in the BE.

In terms of bigs, since others are recruiting LJ we should be talking to Kofi Cockburn. No harm in trying. Maybe he’d want to stay now that Mullin’s country club defense is no more?

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 05:19:46 PM »
Others are recruiting LJ because he entered his name in the transfer portal. Is Kofi Cockburn in the transfer portal? If not you cannot recruit him and he signed with Illinois as far as I know so he would have to sit out a year.

lihoop

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 09:30:11 AM »
Javion Hamlet committed to North Texas per Rothstein

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 10:32:50 AM »

Trimble is a waste of a scholarship. Glad to see him gone. He is a D2 player. Slow and his greatest value-his shooting is not where it needed to be for a one dimensional player. He should never have been recruited to play here.

sju89tr

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2019, 10:46:09 AM »
Trimble is a waste of a scholarship. Glad to see him gone. He is a D2 player. Slow and his greatest value-his shooting is not where it needed to be for a one dimensional player. He should never have been recruited to play here.

That's harsh

He was most definitely not supposed to be the first guy off the bench but a 10 mpg rotaional guy mainly for defense.   
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 10:46:35 AM by sju89tr »

tnice

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 02:07:58 PM »

zach smart
‏ @zsmart3

Chris Maidoh @Ayeechris_ of Scotland Campus will visit St. John's tomorrow. 6-foot-10 stock riser with 7-foot-3 wingspan currently holds offers from UMass, Georgia, Stetson, St. Bonnies, St. Louis, Towson and others. Rim protector who can shoot it from outside with consistency

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 02:26:40 PM »
Javion Hamlet committed to North Texas per Rothstein

this was really surprising

sju89tr

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 02:40:13 PM »
zach smart
‏ @zsmart3

Chris Maidoh @Ayeechris_ of Scotland Campus will visit St. John's tomorrow. 6-foot-10 stock riser with 7-foot-3 wingspan currently holds offers from UMass, Georgia, Stetson, St. Bonnies, St. Louis, Towson and others. Rim protector who can shoot it from outside with consistency

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/chris-maidoh

Looks like a project but who knows

We need a lot of help right now

This is the time I really just want 2 year Juco's or Grad transfers

You make less of an investment that way

We are already needing major catch up for 2020 guys 

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 03:26:57 PM »
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/chris-maidoh

Looks like a project but who knows

We need a lot of help right now

This is the time I really just want 2 year Juco's or Grad transfers

You make less of an investment that way

We are already needing major catch up for 2020 guys 

I think right now makes a lot of sense for a project. Have spots to offer and relationships to build. Take a kid with some good potential and put someone in the freshmen class.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

QuanMan

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 03:34:21 PM »
He needs to put on weight but nice potential:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8xwU44bvh4

More jumpshooting highlights in this clip:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8682978/5a9abd3e5b3cce04f05ecce1
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:41:24 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

derk

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 03:38:08 PM »
zach smart
‏ @zsmart3

This is the type of big we need

Johnny23

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 04:54:32 PM »
We need bigs and he fits the bill. Get it done Coach Mike.

Wods317

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 05:56:34 PM »
I like his skill set from these short videos. Athletic and can block shots but the stroke is really nice for a guy his size. I’m sure he raw but a guy with that size and a solid shooting stroke is someone you can develop.

redslope

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 06:09:55 PM »
In the first video it looked like his team did a lot of pressing which may be part of the attraction for a 40 minutes of hell approach.

Foad

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 06:41:58 PM »
This is the type of big we need

Going up against Corey Williams (.304) at Stetson will be tough but if coach Iron Mike is able to secure this two star recruit that will go a long way to legitimizing St John's as a destination for other two star recruits. Hashtag fingers crossed.

sju89tr

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2019, 07:21:25 PM »
Going up against Corey Williams (.304) at Stetson will be tough but if coach Iron Mike is able to secure this two star recruit that will go a long way to legitimizing St John's as a destination for other two star recruits. Hashtag fingers crossed.

That was pretty much my point

We are kind of deseperate but I would rather get a 2 year juco or 1 year grad transfer than to eat a 4 year schollie 

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 10:22:15 PM »
That was pretty much my point

We are kind of deseperate but I would rather get a 2 year juco or 1 year grad transfer than to eat a 4 year schollie

Mike loves his JUCOs but only brought in 1 grad transfer at AR in 8 years. He prefers to have guys in his system and develop them. 9/10 times he will take on a late bloomer like this guy Chris rather than a grad transfer.

FWIW, this is a player Mike has watched since February or January. Mike was hot after his teammate Clarence Nadolny who has since committed to Texas Tech.