Coach Anderson Recruiting

• 64 replies
Coach Anderson Recruiting
« on: April 28, 2019, 12:55:21 PM »
Coach Anderson is here in KC. Just watched New Heights (NY) and now courtside for Team Rio (NJ).

For those who are interested he's wearing a navy blue St. John's track suit with basketball sneakers on.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Coach Anderson Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 02:27:51 PM »
Coach Anderson is here in KC. Just watched New Heights (NY) and now courtside for Team Rio (NJ).

For those who are interested he's wearing a navy blue St. John's track suit with basketball sneakers on.
Nice to hear. Can you tell us anything about his posture and body language? LOL

Johnny23

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 03:21:12 PM »
Very refreshing to see the actual HC watching two of the major area AAU programs fresh into his tenure.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 04:26:03 PM »
Very refreshing to see the actual HC watching two of the major area AAU programs fresh into his tenure.

Mullin did that too in the beginning and we know how that turned out. The pitchforks will come out like they always do.

Foad

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 04:33:06 PM »

Boxers, briefs or commando?

Johnny23

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 04:43:00 PM »
Mullin did that too in the beginning and we know how that turned out. The pitchforks will come out like they always do.

Anderson's a true pro when it comes to running a program in every sense of the word and his resume backs that up. I suspect that these MA sightings at HS and AAU game will be pretty consistent.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 05:29:46 PM »
Except MA has been doing it for 17 years as a head coach and many years before that as an AC. CM did it for what a couple of weeks?

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 08:40:15 PM »

Are you in KC?
I am Trenton, not too far from the city
You will see MA out and about
When he was at Mizzou I lived near Columbia, would see him at Target, the mall, etc.
He is visible on the recruiting circuit and is not shy, love to have a new team in St. John’s

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 08:49:28 PM »
TJ Cleveland was in Dallas watching the JUCO showcase

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 07:08:46 PM »
The grassroots coaches I spoke with from Midwest were skeptical about how he'd be able to do at St. John's. All said he's a "nice guy" and "he won't cheat" which really reminded me of Norm Roberts lines.

I think there is a lot of skepticism about his ability to recruit and him being loyal to his staff.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 07:09:09 PM »
Are you in KC?
I am Trenton, not too far from the city
You will see MA out and about
When he was at Mizzou I lived near Columbia, would see him at Target, the mall, etc.
He is visible on the recruiting circuit and is not shy, love to have a new team in St. John’s

I live in NJ and I was just there running the event.

sju89tr

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 07:23:20 PM »
The grassroots coaches I spoke with from Midwest were skeptical about how he'd be able to do at St. John's. All said he's a "nice guy" and "he won't cheat" which really reminded me of Norm Roberts lines.

I think there is a lot of skepticism about his ability to recruit and him being loyal to his staff.

He's a better coach than Norm and a better name than Norm. May not kill it at SJU but gives us a chance to have a good program. 

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2019, 07:25:28 PM »

Yeah except Norm Robert's came here with a 24-84 HC record at Queens College.

Anderson has never had a losing season coaching over a decade at high major schools.

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 07:36:18 PM »
Yeah except Norm Robert's came here with a 24-84 HC record at Queens College.

Anderson has never had a losing season coaching over a decade at high major schools.

He wasn’t comparing him to Norm.

Wods317

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 07:42:57 PM »
Get good players and keep them, that’s how you win. Anderson has a history of winning and is by all accounts a hard worker. He needs a strong recruiting staff but I have faith in him getting players.

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 07:17:49 PM »
Look there is no doubt Mike Anderson has had a successful track record. There is a big difference between Arkansas and New York City  //  South and North East.

St. John's is not an easy place to win off the rip for someone with inroad let alone someone with zero inroads.

I'm not rooting against him just stating some factual things that are concerning.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 08:57:16 PM »
Jarvis never even had a .500 season in 13 years prior to St. John’s.

He then went to an elite eight his first year.

Anderson will be no different than anyone else. The weak staff will be his first mistake. The sharks will start to circle year three and our fans will chop him down little by little until he has no will to continue.

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 09:54:38 PM »
overated, kids wanna leave the city just as well as some kids want to come play in nyc. I don’t care if D’lo from Houston or Shamorie from Brooklyn just get kids that can play

wpc77

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2019, 10:11:40 PM »
Jarvis never even had a .500 season in 13 years prior to St. John’s.

He then went to an elite eight his first year.

Anderson will be no different than anyone else. The weak staff will be his first mistake. The sharks will start to circle year three and our fans will chop him down little by little until he has no will to continue.

Actually, if you listen to UAB and Missouri fans, who knicknamed him "Suitcase Mike", the opposite might happen.  He will get the program off to a fast start with a system that is easy to pick up and then start looking for a better job and bail after a few years once an power 5 opening down south comes his way. 

Poison

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2019, 10:37:53 PM »
Look there is no doubt Mike Anderson has had a successful track record. There is a big difference between Arkansas and New York City  //  South and North East.

St. John's is not an easy place to win off the rip for someone with inroad let alone someone with zero inroads.

I'm not rooting against him just stating some factual things that are concerning.

Having local roots only helped Fran, and that was a different time. It's more than that. Local kids want to go away to college. Let them. It doesn't matter who is coaching here for many of them if they just want to experience college like many kids do.

Lavin didn't keep it up, but he had the right idea. Sell NY to people from everywhere else.