Coach Anderson Recruiting

• 64 replies

wpc77

Re: Coach Anderson Recruiting
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2019, 10:41:18 PM »
Having local roots only helped Fran, and that was a different time. It's more than that. Local kids want to go away to college. Let them. It doesn't matter who is coaching here for many of them if they just want to experience college like many kids do.

Lavin didn't keep it up, but he had the right idea. Sell NY to people from everywhere else.

Lavin was buying, not selling.  He was full of shit.

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2019, 10:45:54 PM »
Jarvis never even had a .500 season in 13 years prior to St. John’s.

He then went to an elite eight his first year.

Anderson will be no different than anyone else. The weak staff will be his first mistake. The sharks will start to circle year three and our fans will chop him down little by little until he has no will to continue.
Where the heck did you come up with that? Jarvis was 101-50 in 5 years at Boston U with 2 NCAAs, 143-100 at GW with 3 NCAAs including a sweet 16 appearrance where they lost to Michigan's Fab 5 team that had to vacate their wins that season. Don't let facts get in the way of your latest narrative though.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2019, 11:12:54 PM »
2020 Phillip Wheeler and C.J. Wilcher got offers from SJU today

Poison

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2019, 11:55:51 PM »
Lavin was buying, not selling.  He was full of shit.

I don’t follow what you said. Buying what?

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2019, 11:58:43 PM »
Where the heck did you come up with that? Jarvis was 101-50 in 5 years at Boston U with 2 NCAAs, 143-100 at GW with 3 NCAAs including a sweet 16 appearrance where they lost to Michigan's Fab 5 team that had to vacate their wins that season. Don't let facts get in the way of your latest narrative though.

Are you slow? There are two ways to read “Jarvis never even had a .500 season” and I  didn’t think I had to spell it out. I was going to write that he never had a losing season but he was even better than that.

How does that interpretation fit in with the rest of my post? The very next line was: “He then went to an  Elite Eight his first year.”

Do you see the relevance of comparing Jarvis’ and Anderson’s very similar resumes prior to coaching at St. John’s? This job is a career ender. Our fans will make sure of that.

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2019, 12:05:48 AM »
Are you slow? There are two ways to read “Jarvis never even had a .500 season” and I  didn’t think I had to spell it out. I was going to write that he never had a losing season but he was even better than that.

How does that interpretation fit in with the rest of my post? The very next line was: “He then went to an  Elite Eight his first year.”

Do you see the relevance of comparing Jarvis’ and Anderson’s very similar resumes prior to coaching at St. John’s? This job is a career ender. Our fans will make sure of that.
Slower than I used to be but thankfully not the slow you mean. Had hockey game and nba game on TV with PIP so wasn't concentrating fully but enough to see it was one of your posts so expected the worse. LOL

Poison

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2019, 12:40:16 AM »

How exactly will our fans make sure Anderson’s career will be over?

SJUFAN

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2019, 03:00:45 AM »
Anderson will be no different than anyone else. The weak staff will be his first mistake. The sharks will start to circle year three and our fans will chop him down little by little until he has no will to continue.

Why do you keep saying a “weak staff”? His staff so far is better than the last regime and like all other good coaches, their success isn’t dependent on their “staff”. All of you concerned about CMA ability to recruit will be surprised. It’s not just about recruiting. It’s about evaluating talent and development. Trimble didn’t have a chance because we didn’t have a player development program. All of that will change. I’m excited to see what CMA will do. He is head and shoulders above all the other potential coaching candidates and will make our program relevant once again.

Johnny23

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2019, 06:38:01 AM »
Some just want to play contrarian on here to go against the grain. Anderson's record and system speak for themselves. He will get this program on solid footing and then the trolls will pop out every now and then to try to pick him apart because it does not fit their narrative. This isn't some first time glorified figurehead who has no idea what it takes to win consistently as a college head man. This is a real head coach who's put the work in at every stop. I expect this challenge on his coaching tour to be no different.

pmg911

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2019, 09:10:30 AM »
Why do you keep saying a “weak staff”?

Because his guy isn't joining the staff..

goredmen

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2019, 09:20:35 AM »

But don’t worry, he’s not bashing the staff

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2019, 09:54:15 AM »
How exactly will our fans make sure Anderson’s career will be over?

Please see the last seven coaches for details. Most of them were successful prior and none were successful after. Our fans will chop him down and then steal his will to coach. Right before it’s over there will be calls for the Pitinos and Hurleys is the coaching world.

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2019, 10:02:07 AM »

Hsu has heard from several better schools including Arkansas. He will be a head coach soon so coming to St. John’s would not have been his best choice IMO.

I don’t think we will have a strong staff and therefore I don’t think anything will be different than the last seven coaches we’ve fired.

I don’t see the difference between Jarvis and Anderson. Both had 13+ year careers as head coaches without a losing season and multiples trips into to the tournament — past the first weekend more than once.

Jarvis actually had northeast ties after spending his entire career coaching between Boston and DC and he was never fired.

Johnny23

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2019, 10:24:44 AM »
Hsu is hardly the hottest name out there except for one poster on this board. There's a reason why he's toiled at mid majors his whole career. Fast risers don't last at that level long ever. He's a career mid major.

Don't believe the hype. Jarvis couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. His biggest claim to fame was being Ewing's HS coach in Boston. Stop kidding yourself with the BS.

Anderson is an actual teacher. Some are just poo pooing the hire because their boy Mullin couldn't hack it here. Anderson will be fine because he knows how to actually teach and coach. He doesn't need some glorified staff to do those things for him unlike our coaches going back to the 20th century.

pmg911

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2019, 10:42:03 AM »
Hsu has heard from several better schools including Arkansas. He will be a head coach soon so coming to St. John’s would not have been his best choice IMO.

If he can leave WKU for high level SEC assistant job, as you claim, he would be insane not to.

Mike

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2019, 11:32:49 AM »

I don’t think we will have a strong staff and therefore I don’t think anything will be different than the last seven coaches we’ve fired.

I don’t see the difference between Jarvis and Anderson. Both had 13+ year careers as head coaches without a losing season and multiples trips into to the tournament — past the first weekend more than once.

Jarvis actually had northeast ties after spending his entire career coaching between Boston and DC and he was never fired.

So when he name was coming up everyday as a possibility this was a great spot for him to show what he can do. But now that there isn’t a chance this is not the best choice.

sju89tr

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2019, 12:25:33 PM »
Hsu would have been great but many factors go into hiring an assistant. He also has a checkered past. Let's see who the recriuting guy is before people start bashing a coach who frankly we are very lucky to have landed.   

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2019, 12:27:37 PM »
So much negativity

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2019, 12:35:02 PM »
Hsu would have been great but many factors go into hiring an assistant. He also has a checkered past. Let's see who the recriuting guy is before people start bashing a coach who frankly we are very lucky to have landed.   
100% agree with everything said here.

Marillac

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2019, 12:39:20 PM »
So when he name was coming up everyday as a possibility this was a great spot for him to show what he can do. But now that there isn’t a chance this is not the best choice.

I wanted him here for the good of the program. He has other things to consider beyond making Marillac happy. I’d want Beilein here too but that would be selfish as well.