Johnnies on ESPNU

• 24 replies

tnice

Johnnies on ESPNU
« on: April 30, 2019, 04:55:10 PM »
Assuming its in anticipation of the 30 for 30 tonight about Felipe, but if youre home or have access to ESPNU, they're playing a bunch of games from 98 and 99 BE tourneys as we speak.

Poison

Re: Johnnies on ESPNU
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 12:13:24 AM »
The Dominican Dream was really well done. They really did a great job of showing what he went through.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 09:41:45 AM »
The Dominican Dream was really well done. They really did a great job of showing what he went through.

I particularly loved the fact that Arod has kept the SI (signed), with Felipe on the cover.

I had it for a long time (Chris Herren is also featured heavily in that article, as was Allen Iverson - it was about all the freshman in the Big East that year, even though Felipe was the one they put on the cover), but lost it when we moved out of the house I grew up in.

I only noticed one mistake in the documentary.  I believe they were sophomores when Iverson scored 39 at the Garden.  I do believe we beat them at MSG freshman year as well, so it's easy to mix up.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 10:36:19 AM »
Have a quick question- if Felipe lived up to national expectations and was Jordanesque do you think that would have changed the direction of the program and kept us a top tier name longer? Would it have brought more legendary type players that went elsewhere come here or at the very least be a permanent stream of great income for our program? 

Something the school could always market- no one sells Felipe, all they sell is Mullin- not even really Moe or Mark Jackson or even Artest. But if you had a "Jordan" maybe things would have been different for us.......

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 10:47:39 AM »
Have a quick question- if Felipe lived up to national expectations and was Jordanesque do you think that would have changed the direction of the program and kept us a top tier name longer? Would it have brought more legendary type players that went elsewhere come here or at the very least be a permanent stream of great income for our program? 

Something the school could always market- no one sells Felipe, all they sell is Mullin- not even really Moe or Mark Jackson or even Artest. But if you had a "Jordan" maybe things would have been different for us.......
His senior year was the NCAA game v Detroit; notice we had the Riverside guys on the court; Artest, Barkley, Jessie with Bootsey. Fran left Jarvis with alot of momentum. Jarvis recruited Hatten, Cook and Darius Miles, who eent NBA. After that, Jarvis stopped recruiting HS kids and stopped recruiting NYC kids. We all know how that movie ended.

sju89tr

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 10:51:17 AM »
His senior year was the NCAA game v Detroit; notice we had the Riverside guys on the court; Artest, Barkley, Jessie with Bootsey. Fran left Jarvis with alot of momentum. Jarvis recruited Hatten, Cook and Darius Miles, who eent NBA. After that, Jarvis stopped recruiting HS kids and stopped recruiting NYC kids. We all know how that movie ended.

James Felton could have been a big player on those teams, he was legit. Sad story for him but maybe we get to a Final Four rather than Elite 8 if he was still around and playing up to his potential.   
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 10:51:37 AM by sju89tr »

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 11:11:53 AM »

Jarvis landed Elijah Igram who was an All-American. Then he landed top 25 Showtime Hill and top 75 Lamont Hamilton. If you don’t fire Jarvis mid-year you don’t have the Pitt fiasco and you have a core of Ingram/Hill/Hamilton plus whoever else Jarvis would have landed.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:12:30 AM by Marillac »

Poison

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 11:52:32 AM »
I particularly loved the fact that Arod has kept the SI (signed), with Felipe on the cover.

I had it for a long time (Chris Herren is also featured heavily in that article, as was Allen Iverson - it was about all the freshman in the Big East that year, even though Felipe was the one they put on the cover), but lost it when we moved out of the house I grew up in.

I only noticed one mistake in the documentary.  I believe they were sophomores when Iverson scored 39 at the Garden.  I do believe we beat them at MSG freshman year as well, so it's easy to mix up.

You’re right. Mahoney was canned after the 95-96 season. I remember Lopez with the ball late top of the key with Iverson guarding him. He drove and dished to Mo Brown for the three. That and Louisville were our two wins that season.

I’m glad they didn’t show us losing to UC Irvine at Alumni Hall. That was awful.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 11:29:20 AM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 11:55:26 AM »
Jarvis landed Elijah Igram who was an All-American. Then he landed top 25 Showtime Hill and top 75 Lamont Hamilton. If you don’t fire Jarvis mid-year you don’t have the Pitt fiasco and you have a core of Ingram/Hill/Hamilton plus whoever else Jarvis would have landed.

Hill, Ingram, Hosely, Hamilton and Reynolds. Probably an NIT team.

sju89tr

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 01:27:57 PM »
You’re right. Mahoney was canned after the the 95-96 season. I remember Lopez with the ball late top of the key with Iverson guarding him. He drove and dished to Mo Brown for the three. That and Louisville were our two wins that season.

I’m glad they didn’t show us losing to UC Irvine at Alumni Hall. That was awful.

I think Kevin Simmons was on the UCI team.

pmg911

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 11:16:28 AM »
James Felton could have been a big player on those teams, he was legit. Sad story for him but maybe we get to a Final Four rather than Elite 8 if he was still around and playing up to his potential.   

Worst decision the school made was letting Fran go...   he was a good coach and an animal recruiting and would have gotten players...

To this day I can't believe some kids went home crying to his parents over the way Fran spoke to them. Fran's firing was the beginning of the end of St. John's being a consistently good national program.

Also - Felton was a beast but troubled kid..

Poison

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 11:32:21 AM »
Worst decision the school made was letting Fran go...   he was a good coach and an animal recruiting and would have gotten players...

To this day I can't believe some kids went home crying to his parents over the way Fran spoke to them. Fran's firing was the beginning of the end of St. John's being a consistently good national program.

I have to agree. He really had them moving in the right direction.

Are you saying he was fired because of how he spoke to players? Which ones?

Johnny23

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 11:44:01 AM »

No doubt about it. Fran's departure was the beginning of the end for this program's relevance. This also in a way signaled the very beginning of the weenie, overly sensitive bs world we live in today where you can't say anything to anyone without the threat of hurting someone's wittle feelings. It's a million times worse today with this millenial generation and after them but way back when was a hint of what was to come. Shame.

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 12:23:21 PM »
I have to agree. He really had them moving in the right direction.

Are you saying he was fired because of how he spoke to players? Which ones?

He was fired due to being a "wild man" and exploring other coaching jobs.  I thought being fired for the former had merit, but not the latter. 

I believe Tyrone Grant's mom and Shannon Crooks were the ones who officially blew the whistle on Fraschilla's act.  It's been years, but that's what I recall.

PMG--James Felton was probably the second best freshman in our vaunted 1997 recruiting class behind Artest.  Wasted talent, and most certainly, a very sad ending as he passed away so young. 

Felton, along with Anthony Glover (who was ineligible as a partial qualifier) and a name many folks probably have forgotten about, Ernest Brown (6'11" center), was missing from our '98-'99 Elite 8 squad.  Or, even Shannon Crooks, who transferred after his freshman season, as he was getting little time and couldn't seem to get outta Fraschilla's doghouse.

Brown, at one point, was considered a top 30 player (I think he ended up being like a top 70 recruit), but his academics wasn't in order and he went the JUCO route.  He would've came in with Glover and Erick Barkley. 

Imagine if Felton, Glover and Brown was on that particular squad.     
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 12:23:41 PM by mjdinkins »

Poison

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 12:31:59 PM »
He was fired due to being a "wild man" and exploring other coaching jobs.  I thought being fired for the former had merit, but not the latter. 

I believe Tyrone Grant's mom and Shannon Crooks were the ones who officially blew the whistle on Fraschilla's act.  It's been years, but that's what I recall.

PMG--James Felton was probably the second best freshman in our vaunted 1997 recruiting class behind Artest.  Wasted talent, and most certainly, a very sad ending as he passed away so young. 

Felton, along with Anthony Glover (who was ineligible as a partial qualifier) and a name many folks probably have forgotten about, Ernest Brown (6'11" center), was missing from our '98-'99 Elite 8 squad.  Or, even Shannon Crooks, who transferred after his freshman season, as he was getting little time and couldn't seem to get outta Fraschilla's doghouse.

Brown, at one point, was considered a top 30 player (I think he ended up being like a top 70 recruit), but his academics wasn't in order and he went the JUCO route.  He would've came in with Glover and Erick Barkley. 

It may have been Grant and Crooks, but the part of this situation that doesn’t add up for me is the reason why he was fired.

We’ve all heard about his behavior with the players. That’s one reason. We also heard about interviewing for the Arizona State job.

I don’t buy that he was fired for both. I’d guess that he was fired for his behavior, and that Arizona State was never really an issue. But again, that’s just a guess.

He could definitely recruit. There’s no question about that. I also think he deserved a good deal of the credit for the strong senior season Felipe Lopez had.

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 12:38:43 PM »
I don’t buy that he was fired for both.

We're talking about the Johnnies' administration....  'Nuff said. 

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 12:43:32 PM »
I remember Fran openly dissing Crooks on a postgame interview; something along the lines we dont have a point guard now (Crooks) but we will next year (Barkley).

Fran had the Riverside Church program on lockdown with help from Ernie Lorch. The Lorch situation ended poorly, and the AAU pipeline to St Johns dried up quickly thereafter. We havent had a reliable prep feeder program since.

QuanMan

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 01:35:42 PM »
I remember Fran openly dissing Crooks on a postgame interview; something along the lines we dont have a point guard now (Crooks) but we will next year (Barkley).

Fran had the Riverside Church program on lockdown with help from Ernie Lorch. The Lorch situation ended poorly, and the AAU pipeline to St Johns dried up quickly thereafter. We havent had a reliable prep feeder program since.

Alumnus Dermon Player on staff was our major inlet as well. Helped land Artest, Jessie, Barkley, Glover. Lorch turned out to involved in abuse scandals w Riverside. Dodged a PR bullet w that connection ending. Player now back @Riverside.

https://nypost.com/2004/04/16/storm-aide-evans-moves-on/

Another big blow to city connections is when Alex Evans left the program in 2004. That was right as the Jarvis/Clark to Norm transition was happening. Nothing has changed w the cities elites since sans Shamorie. Norm's attempts at the Lance Stephenson's and Sylvan Landesberg are now the Cole Anthony and Kofi Cockburn's of the world. Let's hope that we can hire the right people with the right connections to get us back to where we need to be within the major NYC inroads.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 01:47:29 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

sju89tr

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 02:44:19 PM »

Forgot about Ernest Brown

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 02:52:35 PM »
Alumnus Dermon Player on staff was our major inlet as well. Helped land Artest, Jessie, Barkley, Glover. Lorch turned out to involved in abuse scandals w Riverside. Dodged a PR bullet w that connection ending. Player now back @Riverside.

https://nypost.com/2004/04/16/storm-aide-evans-moves-on/

Another big blow to city connections is when Alex Evans left the program in 2004. That was right as the Jarvis/Clark to Norm transition was happening. Nothing has changed w the cities elites since sans Shamorie. Norm's attempts at the Lance Stephenson's and Sylvan Landesberg are now the Cole Anthony and Kofi Cockburn's of the world. Let's hope that we can hire the right people with the right connections to get us back to where we need to be within the major NYC inroads.

Player didn't come on staff until Jarvis took over, and those guys that you mentioned were all Fran's recruits, so that does not line up.

That being said, Player was connected.