2nd Signee- Damien Sears

• 107 replies
Re: 2nd Signee- Damien Sears
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 02:29:47 AM »
This isn’t even close to the first time we’ve underachieved because of the coach.
I'll assume you're writing about the first three years of his tenure because for the umpteenth time - this year's model did not underachieve.

They were picked pre-season to finish 4th and would have been 3rd if not for "clockgate". They were one of only 4 Big East teams to qualify for the Ncaa tournament - matching the programs best season since 2000.

They had no size, no depth, no backup point and a senior leader that picked up two fouls in the pre-game layup line. Don't make me write this again.

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 04:34:13 AM »
I'll assume you're writing about the first three years of his tenure because for the umpteenth time - this year's model did not underachieve.

They were picked pre-season to finish 4th and would have been 3rd if not for "clockgate". They were one of only 4 Big East teams to qualify for the Ncaa tournament - matching the programs best season since 2000.

They had no size, no depth, no backup point and a senior leader that picked up two fouls in the pre-game layup line. Don't make me write this again.

But they didn't finish 3rd, and they ended the season horribly. They couldn't beat the bottom feeders of the conference. So yeah, id say they underachieved. They were completely unprepared for Marquettes adjustments in the Big east tournament. Also, doesn't the reason that they had no size, no depth, and undisciplined players fall on your favorite coach and his staff?

Poison

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 08:09:47 AM »

Mullin is the most amateur in game coach I’ve ever seen. You’re pointing to the refs regarding the game @Hall, and so was Mullin. He had a responsibility to set his defense, but where was his head? Where was it usually?

It’s long past time to accept that this experiment went the way it should have. It takes an incredible amount of arrogance to campaign for a job you’ve never done before and then phone it in for four years.

Clark was foul prone in his 5th in college. There was no backup pg because the kid left. There was no center because the kid left. Individually, none are necessarily Mullin’s fault. Collectively, all of it is, but in fairness while Mullin take the blame for our 52, losses, he gets the credit for our 20 BE wins.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:17:17 AM by Poison »

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 12:02:50 PM »
But they didn't finish 3rd, and they ended the season horribly. They couldn't beat the bottom feeders of the conference. So yeah, id say they underachieved. They were completely unprepared for Marquettes adjustments in the Big east tournament.
But they didn't finish 3rd, and they ended the season horribly. They couldn't beat the bottom feeders of the conference. So yeah, id say they underachieved. They were completely unprepared for Marquettes adjustments in the Big east tournament. Also, doesn't the reason that they had no size, no depth, and undisciplined players fall on your favorite coach and his staff?

Also, doesn't the reason that they had no size, no depth, and undisciplined players fall on your favorite coach and his staff?
Yes, it does.

I've never seen a post from any of the "write appropriately respectful things about the greatest player to ever wear a St. John's uniform" crowd that says otherwise. The albeit two short Mullin tenure was not the runaway success we all had hoped for. That does not change the fact that 2018/2019 was a hugely successful season here at St. John's. As good as it possibly can get for us good this millennium.  Check the record books.

And there is not one of my 3000+ posts that say he was my favorite coach.

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 12:04:18 PM »
Individually, none are necessarily Mullin’s fault. Collectively, all of it is, 
Obviously.  Please read above.

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 02:59:11 PM »

and if my uncle had tits he'd be my aunt. Uh, well maybe not anymore in today's world.

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2019, 03:29:09 PM »
and if my uncle had tits he'd be my aunt. Uh, well maybe not anymore in today's world.
My uncle had tits but he was still my fat ass uncle. (Sorry, I couldn’t resist)

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2019, 11:09:01 PM »
Mullin the player, the best....Mullin the coach sucked. Simple as that

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 12:56:21 AM »
Mullin the player, the best....Mullin the coach sucked. Simple as that
Didn't suck. Matched the best season of Lavin and better season ever than Roberts. Matched the best season this millennium.  You guys had unrealistic expectations. Not looking forward to when you run Anderson out of town.

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 01:25:03 AM »
How did this turn into Mullin talk lol

Poison

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 01:57:29 AM »
Didn't suck. Matched the best season of Lavin and better season ever than Roberts. Matched the best season this millennium.  You guys had unrealistic expectations. Not looking forward to when you run Anderson out of town.

Lavin had wins over 6 or 7 top 25 teams in one season. The transformation of that group of seniors absolutely destroys anything Mullin did here.

Johnny23

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 07:15:49 AM »
How did this turn into Mullin talk lol

The reason being a select few sycophants who can't get off Mullin's nut sack. It's rather pathetic actually.

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2019, 09:08:48 AM »
Bro he sucked, if you thought after 4 years the best we could do is get blown away by marq in big east and be last team in for ncaa, then I guess he was great

Foad

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2019, 09:11:44 AM »
The reason being a select few sycophants who can't get off Mullin's nut sack. It's rather pathetic actually.

Actually it was Poison who first mentioned Mullin in this thread, twice. Then he mentioned Norm. So maybe skip the thread recaps stick to ball washing the finder of two-star recruits.

Poison

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2019, 10:25:48 AM »
Actually it was Poison who first mentioned Mullin in this thread, twice. Then he mentioned Norm. So maybe skip the thread recaps stick to ball washing the finder of two-star recruits.

Norm is relevant because Sears is exactly the type of recruit that he brought to St.John’s. And we’ve seen what Norm Roberts players can do when they’re not coached by him.

The program hasn’t played tough defense in ages. Won’t it be refreshing to that kind of hustle again?

Foad

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2019, 01:17:24 PM »
Norm is relevant because Sears is exactly the type of recruit that he brought to St.John’s. And we’ve seen what Norm Roberts players can do when they’re not coached by him.

Norm's coaching acumen is irrelevant. There are lots of programs that bring in three star recruits that aren't coached by Norm that founder and lots of programs that bring in 4-star and 5-star recruits that underachieve. Mike Jarvis brought in a bunch of similar players and plugged them into a successful mid major system that turned St John's into a successful mid major.

The program hasn’t played tough defense in ages. Won’t it be refreshing to that kind of hustle again?

I don't know, maybe. I thought Tarik Owens hustled, and defensive POY Justin Simon hustled, and LJF and even Trimble. Dom Pointer hustled. So did DH. Dunlap's teams hustled. So did Norm's for that matter - they just weren't talented enough to compete with other better players who also hustled. Personally I'd rather watch Ponds and Lovett not hustle so much than Gene Lawrence and Cedric Jackson hustle their balls off. I guess hustle matters if it results in results. Would you rather eat a meal by a lazy 2-star Michelin chef or one prepared by a short order cook who hustles. I guess it depends on how the food tastes.

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2019, 09:19:05 PM »
My uncle had tits but he was still my fat ass uncle. (Sorry, I couldn’t resist)

Lol

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2019, 09:58:57 PM »
Bro he sucked, if you thought after 4 years the best we could do is get blown away by marq in big east and be last team in for ncaa, then I guess he was great
Didn't suck. Blown away by Marquette?  He had better success in the Big East tournament than either of his two predecessors. Yes, and for the redmen being the last team in the Ncaa tournament is a rip roaring success.

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2019, 10:05:15 PM »
I will stop penning factual posts in support of Mullin when posters write accurate posts about him that reflect realistic expectations for this floundering program.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:05:48 PM by carmineabbatiello »

TONYD3

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 07:18:29 PM »
Haven’t read this board in a while. Can’t believe This non sense is still being posted. Anderson will succeed here because he is competent and will work hard.
So far he hired 2 coaches. Both are respected, both coach, and both recruit.
No one will run that kind of coach out of town.
If the hero was still here, what state would he be in? NY or California?Where would part time Mitch be?
I am surprised no one hired St. Jean to be a head coach yet. He was great here.

Last year sucked. The schedule sucked. Not having depth sucked. Not having size sucked. Finishing in 7th place sucked. And that is all because Lazy Chris Mullin sucked.
In Lavin’s best year, he beat duke, UConn, Pitt, nova, ranked Georgetown and finished above .500 in conference. To compare that to mullin’s best season is ridiculous.