2nd Signee- Damien Sears

• 107 replies
Re: 2nd Signee- Damien Sears
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2019, 05:52:03 AM »
Big East tournament records:
Lavin 1 - 5
Mullin 3 - 4

Next.

Mullin never won a game on a thursday of the big east tournament. Lavin did. You still never answered my question of what you thought Mullin did well as a head coach?

« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2019, 09:26:08 AM »
Mullin never won a game on a thursday of the big east tournament. Lavin did. You still never answered my question of what you thought Mullin did well as a head coach?

Lavin never won a Thursday game in the Big East Tournament. His only win was against Rutgers by 2 and we lost to Cuse the next day in the Quarters where DJ torn his ACL.  We would have won that game if he never got hurt.

Foad

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2019, 10:03:48 AM »
what you thought Mullin did well as a head coach?

Autopsy:

He as a good recruiter who as far as we know ran a clean program. He disciplined his players appropriately and discretely. He did not recruit any felons or sociopaths; he did not allow any future mass murderers to walk-on. He did not suffer from a DSM-IV personality disorder and was not a completely self-serving histrionic bullshit artist. On the other hand his staff was poorly constructed and his system was better suited to more mature players. He was no better or worse an in-game coach than the last several guys and anyway in game coaching is overrated.

« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2019, 10:26:31 AM »
He recruited Ponds.
He beat Duke.
He went 3 - 1 regular season against the top 2 teams in the Big East.
He caused a large spike in attendance.
He generated a lot of publicity.
He brought in some good transfers.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 10:26:57 AM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2019, 10:30:55 AM »
Yea cause he was really hitting the pavement looking for transfers, after his initial bs press conference when he said he would be in every gym. He banked on Matt to do everything, that’s a great formula for winning

TONYD3

« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2019, 11:28:18 AM »
Autopsy:

He as a good recruiter who as far as we know ran a clean program. He disciplined his players appropriately and discretely. He did not recruit any felons or sociopaths; he did not allow any future mass murderers to walk-on. He did not suffer from a DSM-IV personality disorder and was not a completely self-serving histrionic bullshit artist. On the other hand his staff was poorly constructed and his system was better suited to more mature players. He was no better or worse an in-game coach than the last several guys and anyway in game coaching is overrated.
You almost admitted you were wrong. But it’s ok. You know what really happened.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 12:17:17 PM by TONYD3 »

Poison

« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2019, 12:53:24 PM »
Autopsy:

There were times when it looked like Mullin was a genius. His offense didn’t fail because we didn’t have mature players. It failed because we stopped hitting shots. If Clark doesn’t go 0-13 we probably win that game.

That, and we had several players simply consistently take plays off on defense

Johnny23

« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2019, 01:07:52 PM »
Autopsy:

If his system was better suited for more mature players than why didn't he target and recruit those types of players? He's the master of his own creation.

Foad

« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2019, 01:17:59 PM »
If his system was better suited for more mature players than why didn't he target and recruit those types of players?

By more mature I meant players who were mentally and physically ready to play professional basketball. For the most part he couldn't recruit them because they were playing professional basketball or if they were in college it wasn't laughingstock like St John's. That he got the talent he got is close to miraculous.

Foad

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2019, 01:20:11 PM »
Mullin was a genius.

I agree. Much of the time when it comes to basketball Mullin is the smartest guy in the room.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2019, 01:28:54 PM »
There were times when it looked like Mullin was a genius. His offense didn’t fail because we didn’t have mature players. It failed because we stopped hitting shots. If Clark doesn’t go 0-13 we probably win that game.

That, and we had several players simply consistently take plays off on defense

How does a player or players inability to make baskets in a particular game suggest that coaching was not at par? I also remember watching the Xavier game (in Xavier) and a few other games, which were lost because SJU just couldn't make the shots. The role of the coach, in my opinion, is to create the enabling environment to succeed. I believe that was largely demonstrated throughout his tenure.

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2019, 08:42:24 PM »
Yea cause he was really hitting the pavement looking for transfers, after his initial bs press conference when he said he would be in every gym. He banked on Matt to do everything, that’s a great formula for winning
I have no knowledge whatsoever about how he recruited; how and where he spent his time as coach; what role he did or didn't have in practice; how hard or soft he worked; or what coaching staff dynamics were like. My knowledge and opinion of his coaching is based solely on game day observation.

« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2019, 10:25:00 PM »
I have no knowledge whatsoever about how he recruited; how and where he spent his time as coach; what role he did or didn't have in practice; how hard or soft he worked; or what coaching staff dynamics were like. My knowledge and opinion of his coaching is based solely on game day observation.
Well than you don't have much to go on as his assistant did most of the in game coaching. Maybe you can evaluate how he tied his shoes or sat on the score's table or cursed out the refs.

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2019, 11:56:13 PM »
Lavin never won a Thursday game in the Big East Tournament. His only win was against Rutgers by 2 and we lost to Cuse the next day in the Quarters where DJ torn his ACL.  We would have won that game if he never got hurt.

Yes he did, That Rutgers game was a Thursday, they had a bye that year as the 5 seed I believe

« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2019, 11:59:52 PM »
Autopsy:

I agree with most of this but I do not think he was a good recruiter. Guys who were at things such as Dave, said he wasn't at certain tournaments and that He wasn't even there when Femi visited us this past year. Some recruits went as far as saying I don't know coach Mullin that well but I know coach Matt. Thats not really good recruiting. And we did recruit a transvestite criminal didn't we under Mullin?

« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2019, 12:03:22 AM »
He recruited Ponds.
He beat Duke.
He went 3 - 1 regular season against the top 2 teams in the Big East.
He caused a large spike in attendance.
He generated a lot of publicity.
He brought in some good transfers.

What was his record against the bottom feeders of the big east? He did create some buzz and a rise in attendance because of who he was and how the season started I agree with that. I mean Lavin beat 3rd Ranked Duke, 4th ranked Pitt, and a slew of other ranked teams under his tenure, who cares? He recruited DLO and Pointer

Johnny23

« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2019, 01:31:23 AM »

If you truly based your opinion of him only off his game day coaching then it's really mind boggling how you think he was getting the job done.

Poison

« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2019, 01:35:50 AM »
I agree. Much of the time when it comes to basketball Mullin is the smartest guy in the room.

The refs would beg to differ.

Foad

« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2019, 07:53:06 AM »
I do not think he was a good recruiter

Ponds, Heron, Simon, Williams, Lovett, Yakwe, Keita and Wright were all four or five star recruits. LJF and Ahmed were JUCO AA's. Dixon and Caraher were POTY in lesser conferences. Maybe that's not good recruiting but it'll do till good recruiting comes along.

Foad

« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2019, 07:57:11 AM »
The refs would beg to differ.

Most referees should be hanged. Anyway go argue with yourself, you're the one who said he was a genius. Let me know who loses. I'm guessing it's you, despite how dumb you are you're not smart enough to beat yourself in an argument.