Steve DeMeo

• 360 replies
Re: Steve DeMeo
« Reply #220 on: June 03, 2019, 06:45:27 AM »
Agreed, can't knock the track record. Nice to finally have a full staff and not just one man recruiting like in the past

Foad

« Reply #221 on: June 03, 2019, 08:16:17 AM »
I see no overall losing record ever so far and the arkansas guys that have posted here and on redmen saying that he wont get many 5 star recruits but will get 3's and 4's and jucos and coach them up

Coach third choice made the NCAA tournament six of his first nine years and then three times in the last eight at Arkansas. He had one player drafted in that time. That's about on a par with what Lavin and Mullin did here over the past eight years and no one would accuse them of coaching anyone up.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 08:16:44 AM by Foad »

Foad

« Reply #222 on: June 03, 2019, 08:20:13 AM »
Since when did you take credence in what the majority of people think?

Since a long time ago when I learned to read the odds board at the track. I'm a contrarian, not a mindless contrarian.

Marillac

« Reply #223 on: June 03, 2019, 09:37:07 AM »
Anyone judging this class on MA’s potential to land recruits here is short sited. He was hired in April.

So were Lavin and Mullin and they made immediate splashes and created a ton of energy. Lavin got top 100 Dwayne Polee and was listed with like 20 top 100 players.

Those guys didn’t have the right coaching philosohy for St. John’s...I’m hopeful Anderson does.

What top 50 has Von Macon ever landed? Cleveland? DeMeo?

« Reply #224 on: June 03, 2019, 09:52:04 AM »
So were Lavin and Mullin and they made immediate splashes and created a ton of energy. Lavin got top 100 Dwayne Polee and was listed with like 20 top 100 players.

Those guys didn’t have the right coaching philosohy for St. John’s...I’m hopeful Anderson does.

I'm not sure if coaching philosophies was the issue but rather consistency. Too many peaks and valleys.

Most notable recruits Macon has landed is Kadeem Jack, Carte’Are Gordon, Charles Jenkins, Loren Stokes, Hasahn French. I might be missing a few.

DeMeo most notably known for time at Providence with Ryan Gomes, MarShon Brooks, Herbert Hill.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #225 on: June 03, 2019, 10:02:35 AM »
I'm not sure if coaching philosophies was the issue but rather consistency. Too many peaks and valleys.

Most notable recruits Macon has landed is Kadeem Jack, Carte’Are Gordon, Charles Jenkins, Loren Stokes, Hasahn French. I might be missing a few.

DeMeo most notably known for time at Providence with Ryan Gomes, MarShon Brooks, Herbert Hill.

So no top 50 guys then? It’s not like DeMeo kills the NY area either...has had only two kids from the NYC Metro area the last two years and one of them transferred. I don’t get it. Maybe he well regarded as an Xs and Os coach by Anderson?

I disagree about the problem with the last staff. Mullin and Lavin didn’t stress offensive rebounding nearly enough and let guys play with too much freedom. They both couldn’t finish of the roster with 3* talent to accept and play specific roles.

« Reply #226 on: June 03, 2019, 10:08:03 AM »

Lavin had one spot to fill plus Polee didn’t sign until later in the summer if I remember correctly. Different situation IMO.

I was happy with Mullins recruiting, out of the gate he did get some players quickly including Lovett and Ellison who I was really excited about. In reality tho, did any of those players he went out and got right away work out?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 10:12:49 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #227 on: June 03, 2019, 10:11:55 AM »
So no top 50 guys then? It’s not like DeMeo kills the NY area either...has had only two kids from the NYC Metro area the last two years and one of them transferred. I don’t get it. Maybe he well regarded as an Xs and Os coach by Anderson?

I disagree about the problem with the last staff. Mullin and Lavin didn’t stress offensive rebounding nearly enough and let guys play with too much freedom. They both couldn’t finish of the roster with 3* talent to accept and play specific roles.

I'm with you on the recruiting concerns.

« Reply #228 on: June 03, 2019, 10:16:17 AM »
I was happy with Mullins recruiting, out of the gate he did get some players quickly including Lovett and Ellison who I was excited about. in reality tho, did any of those players he went out and got right away work out?

Lovett had a track record of being a bit flakey. Ellison had his shortcomings but still firmly believe they should have done a better job of re-recruiting him to stay. Could have really used him last year and this year when we were thin.

Same could be said for Tariq Owens. I would have swallowed all the pride in the world to get him to stay. Would have been Sweet 16 bound with him and maybe atop of Big East.

Again this goes to needing more experience on coaching and support staff to be more attentive to day to day things to keep guys in line.

« Reply #229 on: June 03, 2019, 11:12:43 AM »
Coach third choice made the NCAA tournament six of his first nine years and then three times in the last eight at Arkansas. He had one player drafted in that time. That's about on a par with what Lavin and Mullin did here over the past eight years and no one would accuse them of coaching anyone up.

How many kids actually make the nba from college ? While sure that would be nice I'll be just as happy to win. You don't get that kind of overall winning % at 3 stops when you look what the previous coach did and even the coach after you left if you aren't coaching kids up. Doesn't have to be to an nba level but you can coach them up to play within a system or just better fundamentals team ball etc.

Lavin very well might have recruited higher ranked players than Anderson in the long run but if each guy had the same exact players I think Anderson teams play better

From what I read from an Arkansas poster is that Arkansas had a lot of talent last year but was something like one of the youngest teams in the conference. Lavin had proabably peaked unless he landed Briscoe etc that final year. I don't think Arkansas peaked.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:15:13 AM by mjmaherjr »

tnice

« Reply #230 on: June 03, 2019, 11:24:08 AM »
Lovett had a track record of being a bit flakey. Ellison had his shortcomings but still firmly believe they should have done a better job of re-recruiting him to stay. Could have really used him last year and this year when we were thin.

Same could be said for Tariq Owens. I would have swallowed all the pride in the world to get him to stay. Would have been Sweet 16 bound with him and maybe atop of Big East.

Again this goes to needing more experience on coaching and support staff to be more attentive to day to day things to keep guys in line.

Always willing to consider that there were other forces at play, and you would know about them better than most...but wasnt the conventional wisdom for why Tariq and Renard Buys Houses left was that he wanted to let his inner KD flourish and SJU wasnt down with that?

Because he went to Texas Tech, only shot 32 3's in 38 games, and was exactly the rim protector/energy/putbacks and dunks guy that we needed him to be and he clearly didnt want to be at SJU. I'm the first one to fault Mullin and crew for lots of stuff, but when a kid tells you he doesnt want to fill a role and then goes to another school and does exactly that role, hard to point the finger.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:24:54 AM by tnice »

Johnny23

« Reply #231 on: June 03, 2019, 11:32:28 AM »
Always willing to consider that there were other forces at play, and you would know about them better than most...but wasnt the conventional wisdom for why Tariq and Renard Buys Houses left was that he wanted to let his inner KD flourish and SJU wasnt down with that?

Because he went to Texas Tech, only shot 32 3's in 38 games, and was exactly the rim protector/energy/putbacks and dunks guy that we needed him to be and he clearly didnt want to be at SJU. I'm the first one to fault Mullin and crew for lots of stuff, but when a kid tells you he doesnt want to fill a role and then goes to another school and does exactly that role, hard to point the finger.

It's not hard to point the finger. The kid and his Dad saw a better opportunity to play for one of the great, rising coaching stars in the college game. Can't blame him for wanting to be coached up and play for a winner. Compare that to the coaching situation in Queens. Win win for the Owens clan.

« Reply #232 on: June 03, 2019, 11:47:29 AM »

You think Coach K tells kids 100% stone cold truth or sprinkles in a bit of what they want to hear?

We should have bent and got creative to keep him happy even if he was being a prima donna. It was mission critical for this year. Thinking Keita would easily replace him was an ego driven mistake.

« Reply #233 on: June 03, 2019, 11:48:28 AM »
It's not hard to point the finger. The kid and his Dad saw a better opportunity to play for one of the great, rising coaching stars in the college game. Can't blame him for wanting to be coached up and play for a winner. Compare that to the coaching situation in Queens. Win win for the Owens clan.

No blame towards Tariq. He did what he thought was best for him.

Poison

« Reply #234 on: June 03, 2019, 12:03:50 PM »
You think Coach K tells kids 100% stone cold truth or sprinkles in a bit of what they want to hear?

We should have bent and got creative to keep him happy even if he was being a prima donna. It was mission critical for this year. Thinking Keita would easily replace him was an ego driven mistake.

It’s not just Tariq Owens. The turnover from season to season was alarming.

It sent a message to future recruits - if you come here, you’re gonna find another place to play because just about everyone does.

And seriously, have the people calling Owens a prima donna forgotten that he played harder than anyone on the team?

« Reply #235 on: June 03, 2019, 12:31:07 PM »
No blame towards Tariq. He did what he thought was best for him.
And what he thought was best for him was, in fact, best for him

Foad

« Reply #236 on: June 03, 2019, 03:06:07 PM »
How many kids actually make the nba from college ? While sure that would be nice I'll be just as happy to win. You don't get that kind of overall winning % at 3 stops when you look what the previous coach did and even the coach after you left if you aren't coaching kids up. Doesn't have to be to an nba level but you can coach them up to play within a system or just better fundamentals team ball etc.

Lavin very well might have recruited higher ranked players than Anderson in the long run but if each guy had the same exact players I think Anderson teams play better

From what I read from an Arkansas poster is that Arkansas had a lot of talent last year but was something like one of the youngest teams in the conference. Lavin had proabably peaked unless he landed Briscoe etc that final year. I don't think Arkansas peaked.

My point was that SJ's has fired two coaches whose combined accomplishments were about the same as this guy's over the same period, which accomplishments got him fired also, and this guy's being anointed savior. Which maybe he is, but I'd like the opportunity to stick my finger in his holes first.

And just as point order Frank Haith's first year at Missouri he had seven scholarship players, despite which he was a #2 seed in the tournament and national coach of the year, which it seems a little generous to credit that success to Anderson.

« Reply #237 on: June 03, 2019, 09:19:16 PM »
It’s not just Tariq Owens. The turnover from season to season was alarming.

It sent a message to future recruits - if you come here, you’re gonna find another place to play because just about everyone does.

And seriously, have the people calling Owens a prima donna forgotten that he played harder than anyone on the team?

I agree somewhat. There was a fair amount of turnover. Some of it was healthy attrition and others should have been convinced to stay. Mussini, Ellison, Owens, and heck even Freudenberg I would have convinced to stay. I think maturity and continuity is important in college hoops.

Also the prima donna comment isn't directly related to game day efforts. There is more to it than that.

« Reply #238 on: June 03, 2019, 09:52:27 PM »
My point was that SJ's has fired two coaches whose combined accomplishments were about the same as this guy's over the same period, which accomplishments got him fired also, and this guy's being anointed savior. Which maybe he is, but I'd like the opportunity to stick my finger in his holes first.

And just as point order Frank Haith's first year at Missouri he had seven scholarship players, despite which he was a #2 seed in the tournament and national coach of the year, which it seems a little generous to credit that success to Anderson.

I dont think Anderson is the Savior. I think he was a very good hire considering who we almost got. I'm not jumping for joy over recruiting so far but I do think he will coach them up based on his record in the past. Jarvis inherited players also and that didnt pan out well but to me that stat that mase found with coaches before and after Anderson at all 3 stops is quite telling because I'm a numbers guy and like trends

Lavin had great track record at UCLA but he was also a recruiting guru back then. I dont think Anderson is a recruiting guru ( as far as landing 5 star guys ). My hope is next year 4 star guys mixed in with jucos and maybe some transfers and most importantly roster continuity because he runs a deep bench so I think maybe players stay around longer and develop which is something we didnt have with last regime
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:15:12 PM by mjmaherjr »

Poison

« Reply #239 on: June 03, 2019, 11:24:01 PM »

So you’re saying that he landed better players than Mullin’s staff did?