Steve DeMeo

• 360 replies
Re: Steve DeMeo
« Reply #120 on: May 18, 2019, 06:20:25 PM »
So he had ponds heron Simon year before he had ponds Simon Owens and sum total was last team in with terrible ooc record and a pathetic showing vs marq in big east tournament....great job coach!

Is 12-1 a terrible OOC record?

« Reply #121 on: May 18, 2019, 06:50:57 PM »

Ez uzi and Marillac's use of the term shithold to describe St.John's at first was a little disconcerting to me but I must admit it has grown on me. In fact would not mind a name change from the St. John's Redstorm to the St. John's Shithole. Think of the marketing possibilities-could put us number one in the nation in sales propelling the on court product to similar heights. Really think you guys are on to something.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 06:54:19 PM by Celtics11 »

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #122 on: May 18, 2019, 07:03:33 PM »
Ez uzi and Marillac's use of the term shithold to describe St.John's at first was a little disconcerting to me but I must admit it has grown on me. In fact would not mind a name change from the St. John's Redstorm to the St. John's Shithole. Think of the marketing possibilities-could put us number one in the nation in sales propelling the on court product to similar heights. Really think you guys are on to something.

SJUFAN

« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2019, 07:10:54 PM »
I like the Anderson hiring, if story is correct he got in touch with CMA through Capel sr, so he did use his Duke connection to get what might be a solid hire.

Don’t listen to Marillac. He has no idea what Cragg has done. He comes across like he knows what he’s talking about but in reality he has no clue. I hear Cragg likes to keep his hedges trimmed, making Marillic’s information gathering sessions more challenging so now he has it out for him.

Marillac

« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2019, 03:37:21 PM »
Don’t listen to Marillac. He has no idea what Cragg has done. He comes across like he knows what he’s talking about but in reality he has no clue. I hear Cragg likes to keep his hedges trimmed, making Marillic’s information gathering sessions more challenging so now he has it out for him.

Please tell us specifically what Cragg has accomplished. I’d love to hear it. I’ll wait.

« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2019, 08:01:36 PM »
What has Cragg done? Got rid of a terrible coach and for that I’m thankful

SJUFAN

« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2019, 08:22:05 PM »
Please tell us specifically what Cragg has accomplished. I’d love to hear it. I’ll wait.

I have no idea what he has done prior to being our AD. That doesn’t lend any validity to your position that he hasn’t done anything. I haven’t been stalking his every move while he was at Dook and I’m going to go out on a limb and assume you haven’t either so you too don’t really know. So stop the propaganda machine. Clearly the administration felt his qualifications warranted his hiring and so far he appears to be doing a good job.

SJUFAN

« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2019, 09:06:02 PM »
What has Cragg done? Got rid of a terrible coach and for that I’m thankful

Think about that for a moment. A rookie AD with no experience made the move to remove the face of the program after making it to the pre first round game after four seasons takes balls. Then he pulls the trigger and brings in CMA, the best overall coach we’ve had in decades. I don’t care what his prior experience is, he’s making the right moves and our program is better off from them.

« Reply #128 on: May 22, 2019, 11:57:29 AM »
zach smart
@zsmart3
DeMeo went 166-26 while beating heavy hitter FLA jucos loaded with talent in the past six seasons. Always gets top-shelf players. NY guy with the right roots, fair to say he could make things happen at SJU. Helped get Ryan Gomes to Providence w/ Donnie Mcgrath

*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #129 on: May 22, 2019, 01:18:44 PM »
zach smart
@zsmart3
DeMeo went 166-26 while beating heavy hitter FLA jucos loaded with talent in the past six seasons. Always gets top-shelf players. NY guy with the right roots, fair to say he could make things happen at SJU. Helped get Ryan Gomes to Providence w/ Donnie Mcgrath

What is this and who is Zach Smart?  Is this just listing the accomplishments that DeMeo has achieved at the juco and speculating that he could "make things happen" here?  I think DeMeo does boast an impressive juco resume but already I'm very confident in Anderson's ability as a player developer and xs and os coach.  I'd much rather see the last spot go to a guy with nation wide recruiting chops.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 01:19:25 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

« Reply #130 on: May 22, 2019, 02:04:02 PM »
What is this and who is Zach Smart?  Is this just listing the accomplishments that DeMeo has achieved at the juco and speculating that he could "make things happen" here?  I think DeMeo does boast an impressive juco resume but already I'm very confident in Anderson's ability as a player developer and xs and os coach.  I'd much rather see the last spot go to a guy with nation wide recruiting chops.

Just a tweet I saw from a guy who follows college b-ball.

This would be our 3rd assistant. We have TJ who will be our “out of the area” recruiter. Van and Demeo if he’s hired can do their best to own the north east. Not just NYC. I would sign off on it 100%.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #131 on: May 22, 2019, 02:32:55 PM »
Just a tweet I saw from a guy who follows college b-ball.

This would be our 3rd assistant. We have TJ who will be our “out of the area” recruiter. Van and Demeo if he’s hired can do their best to own the north east. Not just NYC. I would sign off on it 100%.

Zagoria tweeter earlier today that Demeo is a "top target" for the final spot.

« Reply #132 on: May 22, 2019, 02:47:39 PM »
Zagoria tweeter earlier today that Demeo is a "top target" for the final spot.
Braziller just added "former Hofstra, Iona and Providence assistant coach Steve Demeo has interviewed with St. John's coach Mike Anderson for final assistant spot. There has been consistent dialogue between the two. Demeo went to Queens powerhouse Cardozo and has tons of local connections."

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/1131268530748481536

« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2019, 12:52:40 AM »
Zach Smart is based out of Florida and is extremely well versed on St. John's hoops. Demeo is ok but can't help but feel this staff on the recruiting front could've been much stronger.

« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2019, 07:50:24 AM »
If DeMeo was 3rd assistant that's stronger than Mitch Richmond for a fraction of the price.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2019, 09:21:08 AM »
We had slice and Matt how’d that work out? I rather a cohesive unit with a coach that will be hands on

TONYD3

« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2019, 09:32:20 AM »
We had slice and Matt how’d that work out? I rather a cohesive unit with a coach that will be hands on
The fact that anyone would want anything else is scary. This is the best staff we have had in my lifetime.

« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2019, 10:36:16 AM »
If DeMeo was 3rd assistant that's stronger than Mitch Richmond for a fraction of the price.
Is that really saying anything?  A brain dead centipede could've contributed as much as Mitch Richmond. I tend to agree with Redy2Rumble.  I'm very confident in Anderson's ability to coach and develop players but I need to see him recruit a higher quality of hs player to sju then what he has gotten in the past.  I thought his best option would've been to put together a staff with 1 or 2 stud recruiters.

« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2019, 12:00:24 PM »
Is that really saying anything?  A brain dead centipede could've contributed as much as Mitch Richmond. I tend to agree with Redy2Rumble.  I'm very confident in Anderson's ability to coach and develop players but I need to see him recruit a higher quality of hs player to sju then what he has gotten in the past.  I thought his best option would've been to put together a staff with 1 or 2 stud recruiters.

It's all about fit. Richmond added value in the fact he's a Hall of Fame player and knows the life these kids are trying to achieve.

I think skill development he added good stuff. Unfortunately he's never been a coach nor did he make up for that curve. Would have been great in that "special assistant" role.

Macon and DeMeo both have experience which is great. Van will be more behind the scenes with recruiting while DeMeo has a little bit of everything which is important too.

I still think we lack what we need in Dobo and elsewhere. I think Lavin had the right path with staff initially. I think the school didn't understand added costs of a guy like Wrobel.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2019, 12:03:52 PM »
I had heard DeMeo interviewed very early on in the process  and has yet to receive an offer.

As of last weekend, Coach Anderson was still talking to potential assistants.