How Shamorie Ponds is planning to prove everyone wrong at NBA Draft Combine

• 38 replies

QuanMan

https://nypost.com/2019/05/14/how-shamorie-ponds-is-planning-to-prove-everyone-wrong-at-nba-draft-combine/

There can be a case made that Shamorie has definitely been slept on within this crop of 19' class candidates as they head into the NBA Draft. Truth is he's performed over the past 3 seasons with a sense of elite magic that you only see in few prospects. He's been contacted from 24 NBA teams since he declared.

He's been the heart and main draw of the program for the past 3 seasons. Crowds showed up to solely watch him play in both Queens and MSG. He should be picked in the Top35 if NBA execs are smart enough to select him.

Combine starts this week on NBATV 5/15-5/19
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:17:26 AM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

https://nypost.com/2019/05/14/how-shamorie-ponds-is-planning-to-prove-everyone-wrong-at-nba-draft-combine/

There can be a case made that Shamorie has definitely been slept on within this crop of 19' class candidates as they head into the NBA Draft. Truth is he's performed over the past 3 seasons with a sense of elite magic that you only see in few prospects. He's been contacted from 24 NBA teams since he declared.

He's been the heart and main draw of the program for the past 3 seasons. Crowds showed up to solely watch him play in both Queens and MSG. He should be picked in the Top35 if NBA execs are smart enough to select him.

Combine starts this week on NBATV 5/15-5/19
“If Shamorie was at a higher-profile school, his draft stock on these mocks would be a lot higher,” Davis said. “Anytime you got a guy that does those things that well, usually their stock is a lot higher. … I think Shamorie is the best scoring guard in this draft, and teams are familiar with his body of work.”

Yikes.  The agent blaming SJU for Shamorie's perception is comical.  First off, if he was at a higher profile school he'd be playing second, third or fourth fiddle to players much better then him and his stats would not be nearly as inflated.  Secondly, St. John's got plenty of national exposure this past year between being ranked and playing in most of the highest attended college bball MSG games of the season.  Perhaps Shamorie's low draft chances are due to the fact that he's an undersized 6'1 175 lb guard who hasn't shown enough pg skills to be able to play that position at the next level.  His poor on ball defense, bad shot selection, low efficiency in years 1 & 2, and tendency to disappear for games at a time probably have much more to do about how NBA teams perceive him then St. Johns' "low profile."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:11:38 AM by colelatshaw2010 »

SJUFAN

“If Shamorie was at a higher-profile school, his draft stock on these mocks would be a lot higher,” Davis said. “Anytime you got a guy that does those things that well, usually their stock is a lot higher. … I think Shamorie is the best scoring guard in this draft, and teams are familiar with his body of work.”

Yikes.  The agent blaming SJU for Shamorie's perception is comical.  First off, if he was at a higher profile school he'd be playing second, third or fourth fiddle to players much better then him and his stats would not be nearly as inflated.  Secondly, St. John's got plenty of national exposure this past year between being ranked and playing in most of the highest attended college bball MSG games of the season.  Perhaps Shamorie's low draft chances are due to the fact that he's an undersized 6'1 175 lb guard who hasn't shown enough pg skills to be able to play that position at the next level.  His poor on ball defense, bad shot selection, low efficiency in years 1 & 2, and tendency to disappear for games at a time probably have much more to do about how NBA teams perceive him then St. Johns' "low profile."

A player gets maximum exposure by playing, and getting deep, in post season tournaments. The horrible job the prior staff did the past 3 years when Ponds wore a STJ uniform is why we had to move on from them.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:47:52 PM by SJUFAN »

Eh, disagree here.  Ponds got tremendous exposure.  Our program, especially with Mullin at the helm, got national attention.  Shamorie's back to back performances against Duke and Nova his sophomore year got a ton of attention on the national scale.  Any fall in his stock is due to him not having a consistent junior season.

Johnny23

The higher profile school argument is where this article ends. Ja Morant at Murray St says hello.

redslope

Interesting the Ponds is shown wearing UA gear--wonder if agent has already gotten him a promo contract with them which can add to his income next year?

SJUFAN

The higher profile school argument is where this article ends. Ja Morant at Murray St says hello.

Speaking of Morant. Much has been made about CMA’s 2* signings. Morant wasn’t even ranked coming out of HS.

Marillac

Ja Morant has been a projected top 3 pick for two years at Murray State. His agent is a nice person.

Foad

Speaking of Morant. Much has been made about CMA’s 2* signings. Morant wasn’t even ranked coming out of HS.

Makes you wonder why Duke, Kentucky, Michigan, Kansas, North Carolina, and UCLA pay 5 star recruits when they could just find random 2 star recruits and turn them into all-americans. Because if it happens once it could happen every time.

Johnny23

Yup it's an inexact science.

SJUFAN

Makes you wonder why Duke, Kentucky, Michigan, Kansas, North Carolina, and UCLA pay 5 star recruits when they could just find random 2 star recruits and turn them into all-americans. Because if it happens once it could happen every time.

We don’t need them to be all-americans, we just need them to be Big East level talent to fill out our roster. I’ll reserve judgment until I see them play.

Foad

We don’t need them to be all-americans, we just need them to be Big East level talent to fill out our roster. I’ll reserve judgment until I see them play.

Right, first you'll note that a single 2 star recruit you could name turned into an all American so maybe 2 star recruits are just what the doctor ordered and then when it's pointed out that it's a completely nice personic observation you'll reserve judgment.

On the bright side SJU has McGriff listed at 6'0 on his signing announcement so he's experiencing a growing spurt.

Poison

Right, first you'll note that a single 2 star recruit you could name turned into an all American so maybe 2 star recruits are just what the doctor ordered and then when it's pointed out that it's a completely nice personic observation you'll reserve judgment.

On the bright side SJU has McGriff listed at 6'0 on his signing announcement so he's experiencing a growing spurt.

McGriff is a 3 star recruit. Shouldn't an 18 year be given a chance to at least enroll at St.John's before you act he owes you something?

Here's what the doctor ordered: a real coach

Ja Morant has been a projected top 3 pick for two years at Murray State. His agent is a nice person.

I assume you mean after two years. Def wasn’t projected top 3 after last year

SJUFAN

Wrong. I only mentioned an un-ranked player out of HS. Made no reference to him being an all-American. He clearly is better than his un-ranked status though. There are plenty of examples of low ranked players performing well. Also plenty of examples of higher ranked players not performing up to expectations. We have landed a couple of them threw the years. Those saying CMA’s commits aren’t BE talent because of their ranking I feel that is premature. Time will tell.

Measured 5'11.5" at the combine

Foad

Wrong. I only mentioned an un-ranked player out of HS. Made no reference to him being an all-American.

Yeah, not wrong. Most players are unranked coming out of high school. You mentioned the one guy who was unranked coming out of high school who went on to become an all American. If his transformation was immaterial you didn't have a point; if it was material your point was dumb. Which is it?

There are plenty of examples of low ranked players performing well. Also plenty of examples of higher ranked players not performing up to expectations. We have landed a couple of them threw the years.

Yes, obviously. I'd say that recruiting isn't an exact science, but that would be stupid, because it's not science at all. You don't need to be a scientist to know that. It is however a system relied upon by every successful coach in college basketball over the past several generations to predict the probability of high performance at the college level. Obviously there will be outliers and anomalies. What you'd be hard pressed to find are many successful coaches who've had sustained success in in major CBB recruiting outliers and anomalies.   

Those saying CMA’s commits aren’t BE talent because of their ranking I feel that is premature. Time will tell.

How do you feel about those lauding Coach Third Choice for his recruiting prowess despite their rankings and where are your posts counseling them to be patient. Because I missed those.

pmg911

Ja Morant was not a projected Top 3 pick after his Freshman year. he would have left last year if that was the case... 

Shamorie going undrafted. If he is drafted he is late second from a Mullin friend. Shortly after he will be in G-League and eventually make it around Europe. Fool to leave now, serves him right. Yes, I know I am being harsh, but that is just my feeling.