Rants and Thoughts

• 29 replies
Rants and Thoughts
« on: May 20, 2019, 01:59:29 PM »
I think we are going off topic on a lot of threads so just wanted to clean up things and have some thoughts in this thread.

A lot things I'm seeing is about Mullin, Lavin, results or lack thereof.

I'll add some of my own feelings here.

I think the school was too quick to give up on Lavin. I think Lavin didn't do himself favors with some of his staff and detachment from being on campus. These are some matters that should have been discussed and resolved with common ground.

The school went in a direction with Mullin which is fine. The roster was ready to turn over and I get if you made a move it was the year to do it.

I think Mullin really whiffed from the start on his staff. Too much inexperienced coaches on board. The transfer route was the way to go to bring balance to a roster which has been lopsided since Norm Roberts went for broke signing Brownlee and Hardy to same graduating class with bulk of roster. Mullin should have had a clear path to philosophy before hiring staff and don't think he really did which is why the whole Slice/Matt power struggle occurred. The school went cheap after the buyout of Slice which caused us to play with short deck. One failure shouldn't cause another failure but this is St. John's.

Mullin should have been forced to shake up staff and add more experience from bench to administrative. His detachment to campus was similar to that of Lavin which didn't sit well with many. Again should have found common ground.

The bottom line is the school ineptitude has failed both Lavin and Mullin. Can't keep making moves every 4 years and expect to have consistency.

Mike Anderson is a good basketball coach. He might be best basketball coach we've had in a long time but there is more to winning in college basketball then being a good basketball coach. The first 2 recruits signed are Norm quality and it's a step back. I think this team can be top 5 in conference next year then take step back next 2 years with lackluster recruiting. Then what? That is what is ultimately concerning.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

Re: Rants and Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 02:10:47 PM »
Mike Anderson is a good basketball coach. He might be best basketball coach we've had in a long time but there is more to winning in college basketball then being a good basketball coach. The first 2 recruits signed are Norm quality and it's a step back. I think this team can be top 5 in conference next year then take step back next 2 years with lackluster recruiting. Then what? That is what is ultimately concerning.

Can't give the guy more than a month on the job before you start bashing him for not getting any 4 or 5 star players?

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 02:12:10 PM »
then take step back next 2 years with lackluster recruiting. Then what? That is what is ultimately concerning.

The "lackluster recruiting" started with the previous regime with the 2018 class.  Maybe, that particular class eventually pan out.  Time will tell. 

Let's also see who Anderson and staff can sign for the 2020 and 2021 classes, respectively, before calling anything "lackluster."  If we can bring in a mix of solid high school and JUCO recruits in those respective classes, then we may not have to hit the dire reset button.

I'll have to see how we play in '19-'20, and who we bring in '20 and '21 before I get concerned.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 02:33:52 PM »
I think we are going off topic on a lot of threads so just wanted to clean up things and have some thoughts in this thread.

I think the school was too quick to give up on Lavin. I think Lavin didn't do himself favors with some of his staff and detachment from being on campus. These are some matters that should have been discussed and resolved with common ground.

The school went in a direction with Mullin which is fine. The roster was ready to turn over and I get if you made a move it was the year to do it.

I think Mullin really whiffed from the start on his staff. Too much inexperienced coaches on board. The transfer route was the way to go to bring balance to a roster which has been lopsided since Norm Roberts went for broke signing Brownlee and Hardy to same graduating class with bulk of roster. Mullin should have had a clear path to philosophy before hiring staff and don't think he really did which is why the whole Slice/Matt power struggle occurred. The school went cheap after the buyout of Slice which caused us to play with short deck. One failure shouldn't cause another failure but this is St. John's.

Mullin should have been forced to shake up staff and add more experience from bench to administrative. His detachment to campus was similar to that of Lavin which didn't sit well with many. Again should have found common ground.

The bottom line is the school ineptitude has failed both Lavin and Mullin. Can't keep making moves every 4 years and expect to have consistency.

Lavin and Mullin won the press conference but lost the season.

CMA is the answer for what turned into a mess of a hire. The senior admin behind this has made everyone including themselves look like amateurs, because they are amateurs.

CMA is not their first or second choice. They didn’t even consider him until Jeff Capel gave them the idea.

Why? They first wanted a NYer. Ok, but Roberts and Mullin are NYers and did that help keep kids home? Very, very few want to stay, but those kids are more likely to stay if the program has a legitimate coach.

CMA is certainly that, and then some.

I would guess that in several years we’ll look back upon this hiring process and laugh about how lucky we were not to get Bobby Hurley or Porter Moser.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 02:46:27 PM »
I would guess that in several years we’ll look back upon this hiring process and laugh about how lucky we were not to get Bobby Hurley or Porter Moser.

Or if history repeats itself like it has repeated from Jarvis to Roberts to Lavin to Mullin and now to Anderson, it will be like "we could have had Hurley here 4 years ago" "Get Anderson out" ... What we really need is a super special prophet here who not only develops players but also develops fans ... ;)

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 02:50:38 PM »
Dave, if you have to negotiate with your head coach to stay on campus and do your job than I think you do not have a real college basketball coach. CMA has already demonstrated he is a real college basketball coach witness him conducting off season workouts, attending recruiting functions for both JUCO and HS recruits, and being there for graduating SJU players celebrating their graduations even a player who graduted 10-15 years ago (Hatten).

Johnny23

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 02:53:22 PM »

Not might, he will be the best coach we've had in a long time unless he miraculously forgot how to coach in the last few months.

I think you're assuming that Anderson will follow the same script as his last few predecessors when it comes to recruiting. Once recruits/prospects see Anderson coach next season I think that will vastly change our recruiting outlook for beyond next season. But again this is all conjecture at this point. However 7 dances in the last 11 years gives me good reason to think this program may actually turn the corner under this regime.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 02:57:40 PM »
Can't give the guy more than a month on the job before you start bashing him for not getting any 4 or 5 star players?

I'm not sure how you qualify this as "bashing" by merely pointing out that the two players signed are not impact players in the Big East.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 03:01:13 PM »
The "lackluster recruiting" started with the previous regime with the 2018 class.  Maybe, that particular class eventually pan out.  Time will tell. 

Let's also see who Anderson and staff can sign for the 2020 and 2021 classes, respectively, before calling anything "lackluster."  If we can bring in a mix of solid high school and JUCO recruits in those respective classes, then we may not have to hit the dire reset button.

I'll have to see how we play in '19-'20, and who we bring in '20 and '21 before I get concerned.

Sure no one knows the future but there are legitimate concerns that recruiting can be the greatest shortcoming of this current staff.

This doesn't mean they can't recruit or won't get good players but it's a concern moving forward.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 03:10:05 PM »
Lavin and Mullin won the press conference but lost the season.

Lavin produced 3 NBA players and two NCAA bids in 5 years. Chris Mullin had 1 NCAA bid in 4 years.

St. John's has stunk for a long time. We've made the NCAA tournament 5x from 1992-2009 (17 years) and 3x since 2010 (9 years)

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 03:15:47 PM »
Dave, if you have to negotiate with your head coach to stay on campus and do your job than I think you do not have a real college basketball coach. CMA has already demonstrated he is a real college basketball coach witness him conducting off season workouts, attending recruiting functions for both JUCO and HS recruits, and being there for graduating SJU players celebrating their graduations even a player who graduted 10-15 years ago (Hatten).

I don't think it's as simple as coach go sit inside your office all day but I think the off campus time should be better spent whether it's meeting with coaches, donors, etc. Not just unaccounted time

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 03:16:59 PM »
Not might, he will be the best coach we've had in a long time unless he miraculously forgot how to coach in the last few months.

I think you're assuming that Anderson will follow the same script as his last few predecessors when it comes to recruiting. Once recruits/prospects see Anderson coach next season I think that will vastly change our recruiting outlook for beyond next season. But again this is all conjecture at this point. However 7 dances in the last 11 years gives me good reason to think this program may actually turn the corner under this regime.

Good points hope you're right

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 03:31:24 PM »
Sure no one knows the future but there are legitimate concerns that recruiting can be the greatest shortcoming of this current staff.

This doesn't mean they can't recruit or won't get good players but it's a concern moving forward.

I just don't particularly see this based on anything other than the extremely, small sample of filling out the roster.  Once we start seeing a pattern is when it's of concernment. 

Foad

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 03:52:39 PM »
However 7 dances in the last 11 years gives me good reason to think this program may actually turn the corner under this regime.

Six in 13 actually, but who's counting.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/mike-anderson-1.html

ras

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 04:36:08 PM »
Can’t judge MA by this years recruiting. Pickings are slim. Has to get the best available for the positions we need. Next year is another story.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 04:48:18 PM »

A rebounding focused PF and a tough defensive minded PG - imagine if those roles were filled last year.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 04:50:22 PM »
Can’t judge MA by this years recruiting. Pickings are slim. Has to get the best available for the positions we need. Next year is another story.

We can’t, but wouldn’t it be something if these recruits turned out to be important parts of the team?

Poison

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 04:56:56 PM »
Lavin produced 3 NBA players and two NCAA bids in 5 years. Chris Mullin had 1 NCAA bid in 4 years.

St. John's has stunk for a long time. We've made the NCAA tournament 5x from 1992-2009 (17 years) and 3x since 2010 (9 years)

Lavin recruited top 100 kids and built up such hype but it was over by mid Nov. We brought the hype machine back from 1994 and incredibly what was left of the Harrison and Pointer crew finished with the same result. One and done.

CMA is going to go after Ty Grants, Chudney Grays and Paris Hornes. Tough kids will want to play for us again.

Personally, this is what I’ve always wanted in a coach.

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 05:09:42 PM »
I don't think it's as simple as coach go sit inside your office all day but I think the off campus time should be better spent whether it's meeting with coaches, donors, etc. Not just unaccounted time
Obviously I didn't mean for coach to sit in his office in the off season twiddling his thumbs. Be available for all coaching duties is what I meant. SoHo Steve and Left Coast Mo not so much.

Johnny23

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 05:51:50 PM »
Six in 13 actually, but who's counting.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/mike-anderson-1.html

6 out of the last 11 and let's hope he makes it 7 out of 12 this coming season.