Next coach at Providence?

• 20 replies
Next coach at Providence?
« on: May 21, 2019, 11:42:12 AM »
Have good word that Ed Cooley to Michigan is happening. So I wonder who Providence will look towards and how their coaching process will play out.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

derk

Re: Next coach at Providence?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 11:54:08 AM »
Have good word that Ed Cooley to Michigan is happening. So I wonder who Providence will look towards and how their coaching process will play out.

Not as crazy as it sounds  - don't overlook Pitino

goredmen

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 12:06:18 PM »

Rothstein
BREAKING: Ed Cooley has signed a multi-year extension to remain at Providence, per release. #pcbb

Need new sources

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 12:06:26 PM »
Reporting out of providence is that Cooley is staying. I guess we’ll learn which it is soon enough

Edit: Cooley tweet looks like he’s staying
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 12:08:52 PM by apesNapes »

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 12:10:00 PM »
Amazing in this day and age of twitter news how completely dead wrong people end up being. "Oh my sources are saying this is a done deal" and then 15 mins later the complete opposite happens.  It's a result of this rush to be first news cycle world we live in.

Good news for the BE that Cooley is staying.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 12:14:03 PM »
He pulled a Hurley on Providence ;)

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 12:44:38 PM »
Nah if he’s staying it means he wasn’t offered the job

goredmen

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 01:02:19 PM »

Mike Brey

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 08:27:50 PM »
Mike Brey

If he’s done crying over losing the St. John’s job😂

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 07:43:43 AM »
Interesting turn of events. Cooley got his. Bold move by Providence ponying up.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 03:14:58 PM »
Interesting turn of events. Cooley got his. Bold move by Providence ponying up.

He was clearly never offered. Nobody turns down Michigan for Providence.

cjfish

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 10:21:48 AM »

Smart move. If he took Michigan it maybe ends poorly. Providence is probably a lifetime job making good money

TONYD3

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 10:30:30 AM »

Smart move. If he took Michigan it maybe ends poorly. Providence is probably a lifetime job making good money
Also his dream job. Cooley will happily coach at providence until he retires.

derk

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 11:27:46 AM »

Doesn't matter if he was or wasn't. From a recruits POV ,big time pub having your prospective coach be offered a big time job, turn,it down and securing your coach for your 4 year stay. The Providence job just went up a notch. Well now there's only DePaul and us and DePaul is climbing.

Foad

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 01:51:03 PM »
Doesn't matter if he was or wasn't. From a recruits POV ,big time pub having your prospective coach be offered a big time job, turn,it down and securing your coach for your 4 year stay. The Providence job just went up a notch. Well now there's only DePaul and us and DePaul is climbing.

Hard to believe. Even if Cooley was offered and turned the job down that's not big time publicity, it's barely a blip in the news cycle. I don't see how it moves the needle in regard to the desirability of the job or how it's a factor in convincing recruits that Providence is the place to be. Test case, let's see what sort of a bump Porter Moser gets from thumbing his nose at SJU.

cjfish

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2019, 10:45:38 PM »
Hard to believe. Even if Cooley was offered and turned the job down that's not big time publicity, it's barely a blip in the news cycle. I don't see how it moves the needle in regard to the desirability of the job or how it's a factor in convincing recruits that Providence is the place to be. Test case, let's see what sort of a bump Porter Moser gets from thumbing his nose at SJU.
Cooley's contract is big news in New England, and that is the ony place Providence and Colley care about.  New Englander s don't care about national.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 10:49:42 PM by cjfish »

Foad

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2019, 08:31:00 AM »
Cooley's contract is big news in New England, and that is the ony place Providence and Colley care about.  New Englander s don't care about national.

That's may be but I don't know how many recruits read the Providence Journal. Guessing not that many.

cjfish

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2019, 09:35:38 AM »
That's may be but I don't know how many recruits read the Providence Journal. Guessing not that many.
Im guessing that the average recruit only cares about who is pursuing him and a possible envelope.  Him staying helps recruiting in that it shows consistency to whomever he is pursuing. 

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2019, 11:11:50 AM »

In what world is that big time pub or helping with recruits?

Reality check:  he was never offered the job.

TONYD3

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2019, 11:33:17 AM »
In what world is that big time pub or helping with recruits?

Reality check:  he was never offered the job.
How do you know