Anderson v. Mullin Recruiting by End of May

• 74 replies

Marillac

Re: Anderson v. Mullin Recruiting by End of May
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2019, 09:23:35 AM »
I think its pretty ridiculous to accuse someone of cheating and having no basis of it. If he's cheating why doesn't he bring in better players? Why have we still stunk? I don't think coach K or Calipari need to cheat anymore because of their names alone. Kids want to go there.

Coach K and Cal don’t have to cheat anymore. They removed themselves from the Matrix. A lot of that is based on the one-and-done model they utilize. Why would anyone risk reputational damage and possible criminal charges for 9-10 months of money?

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2019, 10:04:44 AM »
Anderson worked alongside two coaches who were fired for cheating as well when they were later given head coaching gigs (Chris Giles and Scott Edgar). It’s also completely naive to believe some of Nolan Richardson’s teams weren’t cheating. With all due respect to our awesome new Razorback fans it is simply not possible for a program like that to win a national championship in the period they won it without rampant cheating. Her would be like a clean athlete winning the Tour de France during the Lance Armstrong run when literally everyone was blood doping and taking a host of PEDs.

There are levels to cheating obviously, but nobody is completely legal.
They won the national championship with Arkansas players lol, and this is not what you should post if you want to keep Arkansas fans as St John’s fans.

goredmen

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2019, 10:11:17 AM »
I think its pretty ridiculous to accuse someone of cheating and having no basis of it. If he's cheating why doesn't he bring in better players? Why have we still stunk? I don't think coach K or Calipari need to cheat anymore because of their names alone. Kids want to go there.

It’s essentially public record that USC offered Marvin Bagley a solid chunk of change to play there. He ended up at Duke instead. You think he passed on USC money to play for free at Duke?

TONYD3

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2019, 10:40:13 AM »
They won the national championship with Arkansas players lol, and this is not what you should post if you want to keep Arkansas fans as St John’s fans.
He knows everything. So you are wrong.

Marillac

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2019, 01:21:02 PM »
It’s essentially public record that USC offered Marvin Bagley a solid chunk of change to play there. He ended up at Duke instead. You think he passed on USC money to play for free at Duke?

Yes. He could wait 9-10 months to get a check from his agent with free food, room, and a stipend while he waited.

goredmen

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2019, 01:23:26 PM »
Yes. He could wait 9-10 months to get a check from his agent with free food, room, and a stipend while he waited.

So you think in a world where everybody is cheating, the only clean ones are the ones that are the most successful? Makes sense

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2019, 02:14:09 PM »
So you think in a world where everybody is cheating, the only clean ones are the ones that are the most successful? Makes sense

If you were Marvin Bagley and you had to wait just 9-10 months from high school graduation to your first check from an agent, would you risk reputational harm and possible charges for 100k? What is the need? You can get a car loan. You can get credit cards. You get a stipend, free gear, free housing, all you can eat food and supplements.

I know my answer to that.

goredmen

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2019, 02:28:05 PM »

If you were Marvin Bagley and you had to wait just 9-10 months from high school graduation to your first check from an agent, would you risk reputational harm and possible charges for 100k? What is the need? You can get a car loan. You can get credit cards. You get a stipend, free gear, free housing, all you can eat food and supplements.

"Reputational harm" is the last thing a poor kid is going consider when offered money for the first time in his life. His draft stock and NBA career wouldn't be affected at all if he took a few thousand dollars before college.

As for possible charges, that's just completely dumb so it's on par with your normal posts. Players would not face any type of charges for accepting money offered to them by a school, booster or sneaker company or agent. That is not even on the radar of concerns.

SJUFAN

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2019, 11:23:33 AM »

You’ve said some pretty dumb stuff before and this ranks up there with the best of them. At least your consistent. Who needs who? You think Bagley or Zion needed Dook? These players are being compensated years before they enroll into college. Players have been compensated in college for decades with no recourse and you believe they will suddenly take the high morale ground just to play at Dook? The coach is literally turning into a rat before our very eyes, what other evidence do you need? Better yet I have a bridge for sale.

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2019, 11:47:18 AM »
"Reputational harm" is the last thing a poor kid is going consider when offered money for the first time in his life. His draft stock and NBA career wouldn't be affected at all if he took a few thousand dollars before college.

As for possible charges, that's just completely dumb so it's on par with your normal posts. Players would not face any type of charges for accepting money offered to them by a school, booster or sneaker company or agent. That is not even on the radar of concerns.

Tax fraud. What player has ever properly filed taxes after receiving illicit benefits?

And how many “poor kids” does Duke take in. As Jalen Rose has said 100x, “Coach K would never recruit me or kids like me. He’d take my son for sure, but not an inner city kid like I was.”

No projected lottery pick should take a dime. Kids ranked north of 50...I get it. Cash in while you can.

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2019, 11:53:21 AM »
You’ve said some pretty dumb stuff before and this ranks up there with the best of them. At least your consistent. Who needs who? You think Bagley or Zion needed Dook? These players are being compensated years before they enroll into college. Players have been compensated in college for decades with no recourse and you believe they will suddenly take the high morale ground just to play at Dook? The coach is literally turning into a rat before our very eyes, what other evidence do you need? Better yet I have a bridge for sale.

WTF? Where did I say talents like Zion and Bagley need Duke?! They don’t need anyone and that was precisely my point. They have tens of millions waiting for them regardless of what happens and that is why they don’t need to take chump change.

Coach isn’t above cheating...nobody is. He just doesn’t have to anymore. Just playing at Duke gives a kid a character and intelligence boost whether that is warranted or not. It’s the presumption—a rebuttable one, sure—but a presumption nonetheless.

goredmen

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2019, 11:53:44 AM »
Tax fraud. What player has ever properly filed taxes after receiving illicit benefits?

And how many “poor kids” does Duke take in. As Jalen Rose has said 100x, “Coach K would never recruit me or kids like me. He’d take my son for sure, but not an inner city kid like I was.”

No projected lottery pick should take a dime. Kids ranked north of 50...I get it. Cash in while you can.

How many of the hundreds or thousands of college players or their families that have been paid in the past have been charged with any form of tax fraud based on those payments? You're just pulling stuff out of your ass and you know it.

If you want to go back to the Jalen Rose days, well then Chris Webber also was an inner-city kid and Duke recruited him fairly heavily before he wound up at Michigan. These days, if there is a Duke-caliber player in the inner city he'll get out and end up somewhere else before his sophomore year of high school. They start getting paid before college.

Marillac

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2019, 12:08:55 PM »
How many of the hundreds or thousands of college players or their families that have been paid in the past have been charged with any form of tax fraud based on those payments? You're just pulling stuff out of your ass and you know it.

If you want to go back to the Jalen Rose days, well then Chris Webber also was an inner-city kid and Duke recruited him fairly heavily before he wound up at Michigan. These days, if there is a Duke-caliber player in the inner city he'll get out and end up somewhere else before his sophomore year of high school. They start getting paid before college.

I don’t know who the IRS has gone after or what enforcement methods they’ve used to get the money owed. I bet no athletes file taxes while in high school and college so the statute of limitations never runs on the debt and the interest and penalties compound quickly.

Also, criminal charges from tax fraud are handed out arbitrarily and entertainers, athletes, and celebrities seem to get the brunt of the charges.

Why cheat if you don’t have to? Why sacrifice your character when you’ve got a much bigger payday months away? It doesn’t make any sense.

If you are Phil Greene, sure, take the money. But Zion and Bagley? No way. Schools are allowe to pay their multi-million dollar insurance policies now I believe.

SJUFAN

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2019, 02:24:15 PM »
I don’t know who the IRS has gone after or what enforcement methods they’ve used to get the money owed. I bet no athletes file taxes while in high school and college so the statute of limitations never runs on the debt and the interest and penalties compound quickly.

Also, criminal charges from tax fraud are handed out arbitrarily and entertainers, athletes, and celebrities seem to get the brunt of the charges.

Why cheat if you don’t have to? Why sacrifice your character when you’ve got a much bigger payday months away? It doesn’t make any sense.

If you are Phil Greene, sure, take the money. But Zion and Bagley? No way. Schools are allowe to pay their multi-million dollar insurance policies now I believe.

Your trying to apply rational to an irrational world. When it comes to money, people cheat because they can. It’s that simple. How many people are found guilty of securities fraud and the profits they received from the securities in question were only a small percentage of the individuals net worth? Think Martha Stewart. The universities/coaches have more to lose than the players yet they still do it. Greed is good.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 02:24:59 PM by SJUFAN »

Foad

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2019, 02:31:05 PM »
How many people are found guilty of securities fraud and the profits they received from the securities in question were only a small percentage of the individuals net worth? Think Martha Stewart.

Or better yet think someone who was actually convicted of securities fraud. MS was not.

SJUFAN

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2019, 03:25:58 PM »

Or better yet think someone who was actually convicted of securities fraud. MS was not.

Yes those charges were dismissed however legal jargon aside it’s clear she acted on a tip breaching her broker duty and for what? 45k? risk reward is thrown out the window when you operate from a position of perceived invincibility.

Marillac

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2019, 03:34:06 PM »
Your trying to apply rational to an irrational world. When it comes to money, people cheat because they can. It’s that simple. How many people are found guilty of securities fraud and the profits they received from the securities in question were only a small percentage of the individuals net worth? Think Martha Stewart. The universities/coaches have more to lose than the players yet they still do it. Greed is good.

Very few people would cheat for a fraction of the amount they can get legitimately. Would you commit fraud for 100k if you had 25 million coming in a few months? Only a really bad person or an idiot would.

Cal and K can have almost anyone they want. You don’t think they can find 3-4 kids in the top 25 that want to do it right?

I have no doubt both have cheated in the past and even less doubt that they’d cheat again if their fortunes changed and they found themselves outside the top 25 for 3-4 years.

SJUFAN

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2019, 04:57:07 PM »
Very few people would cheat for a fraction of the amount they can get legitimately. Would you commit fraud for 100k if you had 25 million coming in a few months? Only a really bad person or an idiot would.

Cal and K can have almost anyone they want. You don’t think they can find 3-4 kids in the top 25 that want to do it right?

I have no doubt both have cheated in the past and even less doubt that they’d cheat again if their fortunes changed and they found themselves outside the top 25 for 3-4 years.

Its not just the kids deciding. They are influenced by their “advisors”. If I can’t go straight to the NBA and I don’t want to go overseas. Why turn down 100k? I’m not gonna get caught anyway. There is no risk. Think there is nothing to the story that Nike paid Zion’s mom for “consulting services” to get him to Duke?

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2019, 01:05:00 PM »
Hog fan here,  was suprised to see st johns allow Mullins to get away, he was building a good program, Mike is a winner an good coach however his recruiting  efforts an style leave lots to be desired. Mike may have more players to chose from in New York an if he gets the right players I wouldnt count st johns out of anything, but recruiting was his problem at Arkansas.

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2019, 01:34:28 PM »
Hog fan here,  was suprised to see st johns allow Mullins to get away, he was building a good program, Mike is a winner an good coach however his recruiting  efforts an style leave lots to be desired. Mike may have more players to chose from in New York an if he gets the right players I wouldnt count st johns out of anything, but recruiting was his problem at Arkansas.
Yes we "let" "Mullins" get away to some 3 on 3 bullshit PR job what with his work ethic is right up his alley.