Shamorie at #56 in SI 100 Rankings

• 174 replies

pmg911

Re: Shamorie at #56 in SI 100 Rankings
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 10:19:10 AM »
Lol does it really? Forman got picked in the 50s and ponds got signed by a team who didn’t have a second round pick.

FWIW I think houston would be a great fit for him.

Yes, it does speak to what the league thought. There were 60 players they deemed more worthy of using a draft pick.

Ponds can now get a contract with Houston, and hopefully make the team.

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2019, 10:27:44 AM »
I don’t think there is any sway that Mullin or anyone could have had with the draft. These are business decisions. Maybe in the MLB draft it happens, but we’ve got only two rounds. Mullin, I’m sure opened doors, but Shamorie Ponds has to take it from there.
This. They used to do favors when the draft was 7 rounds.

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2019, 11:28:20 AM »
Damn I really feel bad for him. I would think he was probably in the stands to being the draft was at the Barclays center. I think he was misused here. He's really a combo guard. We saw how efficient he was his first year with Lovett. I bet if we retained Cam Mack he would have come back. Our finish certainly didn't help either.

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 11:46:43 AM »
So going undrafted does not mean all teams didn’t deem worthy. If you’re a 2nd round pick your agent can tell teams that they won’t sign there and they should look elsewhere.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2019, 11:48:45 AM »
I was hoping he got drafted.  I feel badly for him. I wish he would have stayed. Simon too.

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2019, 12:22:21 PM »
Yes, it does speak to what the league thought. There were 60 players they deemed more worthy of using a draft pick.

Ponds can now get a contract with Houston, and hopefully make the team.

Yea not getting picked is an indication but Foreman getting picked by a team in the 50s doesn’t prove anything. the only thing it tells us for certain is that one team liked him more.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2019, 12:34:12 PM »
Damn I really feel bad for him. I would think he was probably in the stands to being the draft was at the Barclays center. I think he was misused here. He's really a combo guard. We saw how efficient he was his first year with Lovett. I bet if we retained Cam Mack he would have come back. Our finish certainly didn't help either.

2 things - 1 Ponds playing point was the right move and the only way he makes it to the nba. 2 ponds most efficient season was this past year as a point without Lovett.

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2019, 03:33:09 PM »
In regards to Ponds, I don’t think Mullin can be blamed for this. He broke down in each of the last two seasons during BE play. Why? Conditioning? Diet? Probably it’s both. It’s surprising to me to see that any college prospect wouldn’t take conditioning and diet seriously.
I believe Ponds has the talent to overcome these issues, but he won’t last long if he doesn’t make these changes and continue to take both seriously.

Simon is in fantastic shape. He dribbles the ball up to his forehead and he shoots a jumper like a 9 year old. I hope he’s able to hang on somehow, but he’s got a lot of improving to do before the league will want him.
Shamorie had the second highest body fat percentage at the combine at 9.8% trailing only 14% Naz Reid

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/#!?sort=BODY_FAT_PCT&dir=1
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 03:33:23 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

SJUFAN

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2019, 07:02:34 PM »
Yahoo has an article which listed Ponds as one of the five top Un-drafted players. On Ponds it stated, “Concerns over his shot selection, decision-making and defensive ability contributed to him not hearing his name called.” How much of that is on Ponds? Or should the prior staff take a hit?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 07:02:54 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2019, 09:13:10 PM »
Yahoo has an article which listed Ponds as one of the five top Un-drafted players. On Ponds it stated, “Concerns over his shot selection, decision-making and defensive ability contributed to him not hearing his name called.” How much of that is on Ponds? Or should the prior staff take a hit?

Ponds was never projected to be an NBA player before he got to St. John's. He truly exceeded expectations. Not sure his negatives fall on the staff. They put him in position to get NBA looks by running a system that fit his style IMO. Houston is also a really nice landing spot for him and I think he will excel there. 

TONYD3

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2019, 10:05:53 PM »
Ponds was never projected to be an NBA player before he got to St. John's. He truly exceeded expectations. Not sure his negatives fall on the staff. They put him in position to get NBA looks by running a system that fit his style IMO. Houston is also a really nice landing spot for him and I think he will excel there. 
He was a high 4 star recruit. What the hell are you talking about?

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 10:22:16 PM »

You do realize how that works right?

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2019, 11:37:39 PM »

A high 4 star that was recruited by St. John's, Providence, and Minnesota... the elite of the elite. I'm 100% positive you never saw Ponds llay in high school.

Please Tony do yourself and everyone a favor stop typing out of your ass in every post.

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2019, 12:21:23 AM »
A high 4 star that was recruited by St. John's, Providence, and Minnesota... the elite of the elite. I'm 100% positive you never saw Ponds llay in high school.

Please Tony do yourself and everyone a favor stop typing out of your ass in every post.

Plenty of players make the league from programs a lot lesser than Minn SJU and Prov.

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2019, 12:47:28 AM »
Plenty of players make the league from programs a lot lesser than Minn SJU and Prov.

Thanks for the obvious info. This is pertaining to Ponds. He was NEVER viewed as a kid that would make into the league when he was at Thomas Jefferson. Big time programs were not knocking on his door.

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2019, 01:33:54 AM »
Thanks for the obvious info. This is pertaining to Ponds. He was NEVER viewed as a kid that would make into the league when he was at Thomas Jefferson. Big time programs were not knocking on his door.
Oh and all the kids from lesser programs that make the league had big time programs salivating over them. Ponds was ranked like 40th out of HS well within range of having a good shot at the NBA.

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2019, 07:39:59 AM »
2 things - 1 Ponds playing point was the right move and the only way he makes it to the nba. 2 ponds most efficient season was this past year as a point without Lovett.

Maybe I should have phrased it differently. I think he would have benefited greatly from another primary ballhandler. If I remember correctly he had his most efficient season shooting wise his first season. With all the spacing concepts the NBA has now, perhaps he gets picked with better shooting percentages. Also his last two years he rarely had a chance to show his off ball game.

TONYD3

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2019, 08:01:49 AM »

From memory he was on tv. I know I watched highlights. I never did drive to Thomas Jefferson. He was a top 40 player according to rivals. Some of  those guys make the NBA. Some don’t. What is your point?
I don’t blame the staff for him not getting drafted. I don’t think he performed as well as he could of here. He defensive effort wasn’t always there. And he wasn’t aggressive enough this season. The rumor was he was trying to impress NBA scouts. Not the way you win basketball games. The staff deserves blame for that.
3 years of shamorie ponds. 8th, 9th, and 7th place finishes. You rationalize that to yourself any way you have to.

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2019, 08:07:53 AM »
Shamorie had the second highest body fat percentage at the combine at 9.8% trailing only 14% Naz Reid

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/#!?sort=BODY_FAT_PCT&dir=1

Mullin warned Shamorie last year about this. He didn't help himself between his social media and not being in shape and not being able to withstand a college basketball season doesn't bode well for being able to handle an 82 game season.

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2019, 08:12:50 AM »
Also this is why I was critical of our strength coach last season. It's inexcusable how poorly conditioned Shamorie and all our players were last year.