Shamorie at #56 in SI 100 Rankings

• 174 replies

TONYD3

Re: Shamorie at #56 in SI 100 Rankings
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2019, 09:21:08 AM »
Also this is why I was critical of our strength coach last season. It's inexcusable how poorly conditioned Shamorie and all our players were last year.
I didn’t notice that during the season until I watched Tariq in the tournament. He was much faster then he was at St. John’s.

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2019, 01:02:26 PM »
I didn’t notice that during the season until I watched Tariq in the tournament. He was much faster then he was at St. John’s.

Did you have a stop watch? Or was it just bias guiding your determination. This is almost as ridiculous as whoever it was saying TO put on 30 lbs of muscle.

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2019, 01:05:32 PM »
I’d like to know the amount of guys that are ranked 30-40 any given year that make the nba and then control that for guys ranked 30-40 that are college prospects, not NBA ones.

Shamorie never had an NBA body, athleticism or speed. He’s a smaller guy that’s incredibly crafty and over the course of his career here came up big. To be on a summer league roster in and of itself is an accomplishment. Hopefully he sees how pros carry themselves in training etc and he can adopt some of that.

Rodman

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2019, 03:35:35 PM »
So basically you are saying if he was better coached, was more disciplined and put on muscle it would have made no difference in his draft stock?  Yeah, ok.

Foad

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2019, 04:16:46 PM »
So basically you are saying if he was better coached, was more disciplined and put on muscle it would have made no difference in his draft stock?  Yeah, ok.

It would have helped if he was taller. His lack of growth, that's on Mullin.

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2019, 09:12:58 PM »
3 years of shamorie ponds. 8th, 9th, and 7th place finishes. You rationalize that to yourself any way you have to.
If our non-conference schedule was an unmitigated disaster as was well documented in this forum and we had a 7th place conference finish - how were we one of only 4 conference teams to make the Ncaa tournament?

SJUFAN

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2019, 10:09:44 PM »
If our non-conference schedule was an unmitigated disaster as was well documented in this forum and we had a 7th place conference finish - how were we one of only 4 conference teams to make the Ncaa tournament?

Did we not finish in 7th place? One reality has nothing to do with the other.

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2019, 08:37:34 AM »
It would have helped if he was taller. His lack of growth, that's on Mullin.
His lack of physical growth is on genetics.  His lack of growth as a basketball player is on Mullin.

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2019, 08:39:55 AM »
Mullin warned Shamorie last year about this. He didn't help himself between his social media and not being in shape and not being able to withstand a college basketball season doesn't bode well for being able to handle an 82 game season.
Dave, can you please elaborate on the issues with Shamorie's social media. I've seen numerous people reference this as a problem but I can't say I recall ever being too taken aback by any of the things he said or posted on instagram (only place I followed him).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 08:43:11 AM by colelatshaw2010 »

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2019, 09:03:09 AM »
Powell came back because he was clearly told he would not get drafted.

Would love to get some scoop about what happened at Marquette - they had legit Top 10 team set for next year.

Pops Hauser thinks his boys are NBA material. They were unhappy with Howard not feeding them the rock, most evident in the 1st round drubbing to Morant and Murray St. They spoke to Wojo about it and if changes were to made, they didn't like the answer.

cjfish

« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2019, 09:43:44 AM »
Pops Hauser thinks his boys are NBA material. They were unhappy with Howard not feeding them the rock, most evident in the 1st round drubbing to Morant and Murray St. They spoke to Wojo about it and if changes were to made, they didn't like the answer.
are the hausetd moving on?

Johnny23

« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2019, 09:45:40 AM »
are the hausetd moving on?

Already did. UVA and MSU.

« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2019, 12:14:21 PM »
Shamorie was never held accountable here with anything.  He clearly had his own set of rules and I'm sure the insiders know even more about that and how bad it was.  Similar to Jordan before him (not to that level of course) and it really did Shamorie a disservice.  Now it's up to him to grow up and become an NBA player which he definitely has the talent to be or rot away in the G League or head to Europe.  The NBA isn't the same way it used to be about size.  His size is fine for the position he plays but he cannot be lazy and selfish.

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2019, 12:43:44 PM »
Not boards but several of my Hall friends aren’t happy. They hate UCONN and think it’s yet another team that will detract attention and make things more difficult for them. As much as they hate us I think their complex as to UCONN is even worse from having droves of the faithful show up at Meadowlands games.

Would guess the Prov folks are not happy but who knows.

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2019, 12:47:17 PM »
I don’t know anything besides that is an insult to compare Ponds to Rysheed freaking Jordan. I’m sure there are things Ponds could have done better, but he was one of the best guards in the league for 3 years and one of the best we’ve had in any lifetime. I wanted more out of him last year too but had we recruited an able front court I think that would have happened. The kid played his tail off and came to us from NY when most highly touted city kids leave. He accomplished more in any one year than Jordan did in his career at SJU.

Shamorie was never held accountable here with anything.  He clearly had his own set of rules and I'm sure the insiders know even more about that and how bad it was.  Similar to Jordan before him (not to that level of course) and it really did Shamorie a disservice.  Now it's up to him to grow up and become an NBA player which he definitely has the talent to be or rot away in the G League or head to Europe.  The NBA isn't the same way it used to be about size.  His size is fine for the position he plays but he cannot be lazy and selfish.

Foad

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2019, 04:21:55 PM »
His lack of physical growth is on genetics.  His lack of growth as a basketball player is on Mullin.

Who's the contract to play professional basketball he just signed on?

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2019, 05:36:01 PM »
Who's the contract to play professional basketball he just signed on?
You mean the opportunity to play on the rockets summer league team and maybe parlay that into an actual roster spot?  I'll say that's about 3/4 on Shamorie and his god given talents.  He certainly didn't improve a whole lot during his time from frosh to junior year.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 05:36:33 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

Foad

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2019, 07:40:04 PM »
You mean the opportunity to play on the rockets summer league team and maybe parlay that into an actual roster spot?  I'll say that's about 3/4 on Shamorie and his god given talents.  He certainly didn't improve a whole lot during his time from frosh to junior year.

Yes, I'm referring to his being on the cusp of a professional opportunity that will afford him the opportunity to make millions of dollars playing a children's game that he improved at quite a bit playing at St John's under coach Mullin, which improvement you didn't notice because of if I understand your earlier comment is the fault of genetics, the blame for which is either on your parents or your education, the latter being understandable because you went to St John's. For the former you're blameless, no one picks their family and based on the available evidence no one would pick yours. Because you're something short of a dunce.

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2019, 10:23:56 PM »
Did we not finish in 7th place? One reality has nothing to do with the other.
Yes, we did.  I'm asking a question. If you can't answer it you don't have to.

Allow me to elaborate. Since we finished in 7th place and had what many on here described as a horrible out of conference schedule, what did the Ncaa selection committee see in us and like about us that they saw fit to select us as one of their 4 Big East selections?  Seems to me that they thought we had a better season than our very own fanbase did. That's strange to me. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:39:46 PM by carmineabbatiello »

SJUFAN

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2019, 12:00:21 AM »
Yes, we did.  I'm asking a question. If you can't answer it you don't have to.

Allow me to elaborate. Since we finished in 7th place and had what many on here described as a horrible out of conference schedule, what did the Ncaa selection committee see in us and like about us that they saw fit to select us as one of their 4 Big East selections?  Seems to me that they thought we had a better season than our very own fanbase did. That's strange to me. 

Our sos heading into BE play was sub 220. What the committee saw was the most talented starting five in the BE finishing in 7th place. It’s clear they thought we were worthy of being the last team to make it in considering our decent record against tournament teams and Quad 1 victories although we played like crap down the stretch getting sweept by the worse teams in the BE and sure enough we took that losing momentum into the playin game and lost.

Your happy with the invite, as am i, but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be disappointed with the season in its totality. We underachieved, plain and simple.