Nick Rutherford
« on: June 18, 2019, 10:26:05 PM »
Johnnies got their PG they needed, grad transfer from Monmouth
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 10:26:28 PM by BannerMountainMan »

goredmen

Re: Nick Rutherford
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 10:39:35 PM »
Johnnies got their PG they needed, grad transfer from Monmouth

Interesting get. Hope this kid understands that his role is getting Heron and LJ the ball and then getting after it on D.

Rutherford was a really good rebounder for a 6-3 kid last season and is elite at getting steals. He also had a very high assist rate at FAU but didn't get the bulk of PG duties at Monmouth last year with Salnave there. He also gets to the FT line a ton.

Negatives are his FG% has been abysmal and he really isn't a threat from 3 having made only 9 in each of his 3 seasons. He's also a little turnover prone.

Not a bad pickup at a need position this late in the game. One ship left. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 10:40:22 PM by goredmen »

QuanMan

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 10:39:38 PM »
Older floor general, will distribute efficiently, play smart and keep our turnovers down. Nice 1 year rental, good work. WE ARE!!!
Section 3
Section 116

QuanMan

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 10:44:23 PM »
Bring in Pacheco and we have addressed all areas of need.
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 11:10:55 PM »
Interesting get. Hope this kid understands that his role is getting Heron and LJ the ball and then getting after it on D.

Rutherford was a really good rebounder for a 6-3 kid last season and is elite at getting steals. He also had a very high assist rate at FAU but didn't get the bulk of PG duties at Monmouth last year with Salnave there. He also gets to the FT line a ton.

Negatives are his FG% has been abysmal and he really isn't a threat from 3 having made only 9 in each of his 3 seasons. He's also a little turnover prone.

Not a bad pickup at a need position this late in the game. One ship left. 

Let’s settle down. He was a backup in one of the worst conferences in the country (ranked 29 out of 32) as a fourth-year junior.

Alpha Bangura averaged like 20 ppg at Monmouth as a true freshman and was terrible here.

Mikey Dixon averaged 16.5 in the same conference as a true freshman.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 11:13:22 PM »
Older floor general, will distribute efficiently, play smart and keep our turnovers down. Nice 1 year rental, good work. WE ARE!!!

How in the world do you get that from his stats? He averaged 2.3 assist to 2.0 turnovers in a subpar conference.

This is nothing but duct tape over a gaping hole.

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 11:22:03 PM »
How in the world do you get that from his stats? He averaged 2.3 assist to 2.0 turnovers in a subpar conference.

...and the ship's taking on water!

goredmen

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 11:26:38 PM »
Let’s settle down. He was a backup in one of the worst conferences in the country (ranked 29 out of 32) as a fourth-year junior.

Alpha Bangura averaged like 20 ppg at Monmouth as a true freshman and was terrible here.

Mikey Dixon averaged 16.5 in the same conference as a true freshman.

I'm pretty settled down. I don't think this kid is gonna put this team over the top or anything, I just stated what he strength and weaknesses are. He's not a great player by any stretch but it's June this team needs a PG and options are pretty limited. It's a nice get especially when it's only a one year commitment

wpc77

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 11:32:48 PM »

On the bright side, we are pursuing Mussini part 2 now, the Canadian/South African/French kid Van Zyl

Johnny23

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 11:40:00 PM »
A veteran PG - Check.

Now a veteran big man and Anderson addressed the team's biggest needs in 2+ months as HC.

Nice to see a coach fill obvious holes when they're smacking you right in the face. They don't need to be stars rather just solid guys who can help support our stars.

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 12:14:08 AM »
On the bright side, we are pursuing Mussini part 2 now, the Canadian/South African/French kid Van Zyl

That kid is a true shitball.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 01:45:11 AM »
I'm pretty settled down. I don't think this kid is gonna put this team over the top or anything, I just stated what he strength and weaknesses are. He's not a great player by any stretch but it's June this team needs a PG and options are pretty limited. It's a nice get especially when it's only a one year commitment

If Dixon taught us anything it is that stats/performance in the MAAC mean next to nothing jumping up so many levels.

On one hand I am relieved to not enter the season with just a 3* true freshman at point...on the other I am just taken aback that we couldn’t land a better transfer.

If we are going to be adding backups they should be coming from power conferences. This is really shocking.

It looks like LJ or Williams will have to step up and man point for this team to reach its potential.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 03:01:22 AM »
That kid is a true shitball.

Wow, Marillac.

Thank you for this insight. If it wasn’t for posters like you, we’d all be in the dark about whoever you think you’re talking about that you’ve undoubtedly never heard of before last week.

What a wonderful party favor you are.

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 04:36:29 AM »
16th last season in the MAAC in assists

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 04:54:44 AM »
Lets be honest here. And I have been very open and critical of how Mullin was as a coach and ran the program while he was here, but if he got this recruit most of you would be ripping him to shreds, but now that coachAnderson got him, its a "great get." Come on, this guy had garbage numbers in an abysmal conference. Dave has been right, so far I am very concerned with the recruiting. The players the Mullin brought in late when he was hired seem to be way better than this, just lucky that coach Anderson has a decent core coming back.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:56:14 AM by Aknel79 »

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 07:16:31 AM »

What do you think about his sophomore stats? You’ve always been a guy who appreciates the scrappy dudes. That year he had great rebound and steal numbers and a solid amount of assists.

He also hit a game winning shot at Ohio state, something you would undoubtably choose as a positive if you wanted to find something you like about the kid.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 07:41:30 AM »
80 assists, 71 turnovers, 37 percent from the floor, 23 percent from three. Coach Third Choice reels in another one.

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 09:25:51 AM »
If Dixon taught us anything it is that stats/performance in the MAAC mean next to nothing jumping up so many levels.

On one hand I am relieved to not enter the season with just a 3* true freshman at point...on the other I am just taken aback that we couldn’t land a better transfer.

If we are going to be adding backups they should be coming from power conferences. This is really shocking.

It looks like LJ or Williams will have to step up and man point for this team to reach its potential.
Dixon May have taught you something. I expected him to be what he was. Dixon wasn’t athletic or big enough to play the 2 and wasn’t a PG. he also wasn’t known for his defense. He was an absolute waste of 2 scholarship years.
Rutherford May suck. But he is known for his defense and is supposedly able to run a team. He played starter minutes. No one is expecting him to dominate. He just has to play a role. Hopefully he can do it. If not, nothing was lost. Not much out there.
Last year you thought Mikey Dixion and Bryan Trimble would be gunners on a team that compared to the 99 team. That made sense to you. This year you are preaching that Rutherford can’t even play backup PG minutes on a team that you think will suck.

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 09:48:43 AM »
Dixon May have taught you something. I expected him to be what he was. Dixon wasn’t athletic or big enough to play the 2 and wasn’t a PG. he also wasn’t known for his defense. He was an absolute waste of 2 scholarship years.
Rutherford May suck. But he is known for his defense and is supposedly able to run a team. He played starter minutes. No one is expecting him to dominate. He just has to play a role. Hopefully he can do it. If not, nothing was lost. Not much out there.
Last year you thought Mikey Dixion and Bryan Trimble would be gunners on a team that compared to the 99 team. That made sense to you. This year you are preaching that Rutherford can’t even play backup PG minutes on a team that you think will suck.

Your basketball IQ is nonexistent if you think the problem with Dixon was athletic ability. He was literally our quickest player—and by quite a large margin. Dixon didn’t have it between the ears and that showed up consistently on defense and limited some of his offensive skill.

He’s also basically the same size as this kid and both are combo guards. There is nothing in this kid’s collegiate history that suggests he is a pure PG.

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 10:02:49 AM »
What do you think about his sophomore stats? You’ve always been a guy who appreciates the scrappy dudes. That year he had great rebound and steal numbers and a solid amount of assists.

He also hit a game winning shot at Ohio state, something you would undoubtably choose as a positive if you wanted to find something you like about the kid.

His soph stats are much better, but that came on a 10-20 FAU team. The year prior FAU was 8-25 and last year Monmouth was 14-21. Anything he did as a soph was negated by what he did as a fourth-year junior (after sitting out a year). He should have been a 15 and 6 player at that level.

Hitting game winning shots are positives, but they don’t compare to consistent performance.

This is a mixed bag here. I’m relieved two have two point guards because we had by far the worst PG situation in the conference two days ago. Also, in the words of Sandy Alderson, “there is no such thing as a bad one year contract.”

At the same time, St. John’s has to be able to land better grad transfers in positions of need.