UCONN TO THE BIG EAST

• 168 replies

cjfish

Re: UCONN TO THE BIG EAST
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2019, 08:29:05 PM »
He also had a problem with Haiti being called a shithole.

If you’re keeping score at home:  the entire city if Jacksonville is illiterate, upstate New York is a trailer park, the entire state of Florida is disgraceful place to live, Pittsburgh and countless other cities and college towns are unlivable, and everything inbteeen the coast is a shithole—except Arkansas, Chicago, and Normal, Illinois. Oh, and Haiti is a bastion of progressive thought and a model success and most definitely not a shithole.

You sound like you have never been north of Manhattan. Florida is an overpopulated wasteland populated by aged transplants and rednecks of the worse sort with poor infrastructure and a ridiculous climate half of the year.  I winter in coastal NC and live in Saratoga Springs, one of the great small towns in America where NYers come to play and have million $+ condos.

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2019, 09:42:56 PM »
and live in Saratoga Springs, one of the great small towns in America where NYers come to play and have million $+ condos.
Now that is a great town.

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2019, 10:12:55 PM »
Can't beat Siro's, Caroline Street fun time during the summer. Best time to go to track during the week it's quiet.

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2019, 11:04:47 AM »
You sound like you have never been north of Manhattan. Florida is an overpopulated wasteland populated by aged transplants and rednecks of the worse sort with poor infrastructure and a ridiculous climate half of the year.  I winter in coastal NC and live in Saratoga Springs, one of the great small towns in America where NYers come to play and have million $+ condos.

I mostly grew up north of Manhattan. I spend two weeks at my sister’s house in Saratoga Springs each summer and a week at Christmas. I love upstate New York. Those were Poison’s expressed beliefs I was summarizing, not my own.

Your review of Florida, though, reads like someone who has only been there a few times.

I’d recommend visiting some of the insanely beautiful springs for a weekend camping trip or kayaking in one of the many county, state, or national parks/forests before you cast judgment.

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2019, 11:08:12 AM »
Florida has no excuse for being a shit hole. Haiti does, but that’s over your head.

Yeah, they’ve only had 215+ years as an independent country in a tropical paradise to get its sh*t together. Whose fault is it?

redslope

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2019, 12:06:40 PM »
Going back to the topic--has anyone seen reactions on other BE fan sites to The Conmen coming in?

cjfish

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2019, 02:00:27 PM »
I mostly grew up north of Manhattan. I spend two weeks at my sister’s house in Saratoga Springs each summer and a week at Christmas. I love upstate New York. Those were Poison’s expressed beliefs I was summarizing, not my own.

Your review of Florida, though, reads like someone who has only been there a few times.

I’d recommend visiting some of the insanely beautiful springs for a weekend camping trip or kayaking in one of the many county, state, or national parks/forests before you cast judgment.
. Been there a lot visiting friends, the torture of Disney, numerous vacations and golf trips. Fine for a week or so.   I would never do Anything more.   Once you’re out of your gated golf community the place is a collection of horrid strip malls, discount everything and terrible restaurants. High end Jupiter and Naples were created to separate the rich from their money with predatory women who focus on men with $300 shoes . (You can always tell the bankroll from the shoes.   Everything else can be faked). All that aside it’s a good place to go for a week or so for winter golf or to visit friends. To actually spend more time there, especially to live there year round, is a nightmare. By the way, I love the keys and would consider living there but my wife is too normal

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2019, 02:28:47 PM »
I live in Florida now. Love it. It beats the hell out of NYC. People are much friendlier. I have no problem finding great restaurants. There are real beaches. The weather is fantastic, and I don't miss Northeast winters. Those of you who prefer New York can have it with my blessings..

SJUFAN

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2019, 06:19:41 PM »
Yeah, they’ve only had 215+ years as an independent country in a tropical paradise to get its sh*t together. Whose fault is it?

Really? That’s one way of looking at it. Another could be the international community wasn’t friendly towards them, and still isn’t. One could easily argue that the first free black state wasn’t welcomed in a time where the powers to be were slave nations. The island was and continues to be ignored by the international community and outside investors unlike other islands.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 07:48:53 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2019, 09:11:16 PM »

ESPN new article....

What UConn's expected move to the Big East could mean for its biggest programs

www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/2...grams%3fplatform=amp

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2019, 11:06:34 PM »
I'm surprised...didn"t think it would happen.  I'm not sure if I'm more surprised to see Big East add a football school or that Uconn is essentially giving up all hope of being added to a power football conference.

Curious to see what Uconn does with its football program.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2019, 12:41:45 AM »
Really? That’s one way of looking at it. Another could be the international community wasn’t friendly towards them, and still isn’t. One could easily argue that the first free black state wasn’t welcomed in a time where the powers to be were slave nations. The island was and continues to be ignored by the international community and outside investors unlike other islands.

You could look at it that way if you are always looking for excuses by blaming others.

Haiti is a shithole due to impossibly bad planning and leadership, centuries of greed and corruption and terrible education.

It  could have been a banking powerhouse with a fraction of foresight. It could have been a fishing powerhouse and a big tourist destination as well.

SJUFAN

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 12:53:05 AM »
You could look at it that way if you are always looking for excuses by blaming others.

Haiti is a shithole due to impossibly bad planning and leadership, centuries of greed and corruption and terrible education.

It  could have been a banking powerhouse with a fraction of foresight. It could have been a fishing powerhouse and a big tourist destination as well.

There is plenty of blame to go around. Planning you speak of requires resources and know how  they simply don’t have. The corruption and greed doesn’t help.

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2019, 09:40:38 AM »
I really like UConn back to the BE. Great tradition and allows this conference to be more competitive. More respect to BE selection time if they become respectable again.

What kills me the most is not having ND any longer- likely will never happen but I want to see us schedule more out of conference with them. Notre Dame-St. John's classic Catholic match-up. Big draw game.

Poison

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2019, 10:08:46 AM »

The people make the place.

sju89tr

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2019, 10:31:31 AM »
Would love to bring Notre Dame back. The ACC does nothing for them. 

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2019, 11:32:24 AM »
There is plenty of blame to go around. Planning you speak of requires resources and know how  they simply don’t have. The corruption and greed doesn’t help.

Resources like access to plentiful fishing waters, proximity to the US, and a climate made for tourism and several tropical crops? We’re not talking about Greenland...this is a Caribbean Island.

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2019, 11:36:01 AM »
The people make the place.

Haiti has an average IQ of 67. This may explain your affinity towards the shithole.

Dumb makes the nice person.

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2019, 12:30:28 PM »
Would love to bring Notre Dame back. The ACC does nothing for them.

Agree hopefully we can get an OOC scheduled at least at some point. 

They do nothing with BC either- that would be interesting get too. The BC program for basketball has tanked, would be nice if we can get these old rivals back in some way and tap into that Boston market again too.

SJUFAN

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2019, 12:41:54 PM »
Resources like access to plentiful fishing waters, proximity to the US, and a climate made for tourism and several tropical crops? We’re not talking about Greenland...this is a Caribbean Island.

You are over simplifying the issue. When I speak of resources I’m speaking about money. Without access to working capital how are they to profit off the plentiful fishing waters? A rod and twine? Vessels makes the industry.

How are they to take advantage of tourism if cruise lines don’t invest and build ports? Hotel chains don’t invest and build resorts? They have for other tropical islands. Their natural resources are very limited. Who’s going to build up their infrastructure? They have been left to fend for themselves. "With the dawn of 1804, Haiti's highest hour has passed." (Heinl and Heinl, 1978)