SJU Players in Summer League

• 32 replies
SJU Players in Summer League
« on: July 05, 2019, 09:33:23 PM »
Had to Add this topic after seeing Justin Simon have an incredible 1st Half for the Bulls.
Games seem to be on all the ESPN networks and NBA TV.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Re: SJU Players in Summer League
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 12:56:13 PM »
Ponds Plays at 9pm ET July 6th vs the Mavs
His team has a very NYC east coast feel.
Rawle Alkins
Moses Brown
Trevor Duval
This Rockets summer League team is very deep at guard spot.I doubt
he starts.

Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 09:08:53 AM »
Wonder what Happened to Sir Dom. He played solid in the G-League and last summer league. Also thought D-Lo would get a flyer he has been killing it overseas. 🤷🏾‍♂️ After watching Fred Vanvleet kill the pass two season thought , someone can see the Value in D-Lo.
I notice Jessie Govan can’t get off the bench. Thought he would have a shot in this new NBA. Should ofprobably left as a Sophomore.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:12:21 AM by KAHNIGHT »

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 12:37:43 PM »
Would it not be crazy if Simon gets that league G-league deal before Ponds? Unheard of a month ago, but could happen.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 02:07:00 PM »
Would it not be crazy if Simon gets that league G-league deal before Ponds? Unheard of a month ago, but could happen.

Not really that crazy. Simon is sized for next level and there will be someone who wants to try and fix his flaws.

Shamorie played pretty well last night. I watched the bulk of the game. Needs to be more consistent from outside
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 06:36:26 AM »
There's a spot for Simon in the league if he can develop a consistent 3 from the corner.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 07:01:55 AM »
I don’t think Ponds size is a problem if you look at his teammate Chris Clemons. Who is looking like he will make the Rockets roster at 5-9. It is the fact he is shooting 11% from downtown. That is alarming For a combo guard!

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 07:11:11 AM »
There's 12 players that are Ponds' height or shorter in the NBA today.

Only 1 of them averaged more than 11.7 PPG (Chris Paul) last year.

it's very tough to be his height unless you are an extreme talent.

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 11:02:54 AM »
There's 12 players that are Ponds' height or shorter in the NBA today.

Only 1 of them averaged more than 11.7 PPG (Chris Paul) last year.

it's very tough to be his height unless you are an extreme talent.

Ponds will be listed at 6’1. No way there are only 12 guys 6’1 or shorter in the nba!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 01:42:52 PM »
There was only 3 players in the combine who measured shorter than Ponds this year.

Chris Paul as mentioned earlier measured .25" taller than Ponds and is listed as 6'.

We can pretend his height wont matter but how many players can he guard in the league?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:43:39 PM by 0404 »

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 02:00:09 PM »
There was only 3 players in the combine who measured shorter than Ponds this year.

Chris Paul as mentioned earlier measured .25" taller than Ponds and is listed as 6'.

We can pretend his height wont matter but how many players can he guard in the league?

His height certainly doesn’t help him. Last year I put together a list of 6’1 players and under contributing in the league. It was much much longer than 12.

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 02:40:14 PM »

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=10700.msg290046#msg290046

*this was over a year ago

Christ Paul
Kyle Lowry
Kemba Walker
Erik Bledsoe
Mike Conley
Patty mills
Tony Parker
Rajon rondo
Jameer Nelson
Isaiah Thomas
Raymond Felton
Tyler Ulis
Frank mason III
Fred van fleet
Yogi farrell
Shabazz Napier
DJ Augustine
Isaiah Canaan
JJ Barea
Patrick Beverly
Lou Williams
Ish Smith
Mike smith

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 03:09:07 PM »
My guess is most of the players you have listed shoot better than Ponds, play better defense than Ponds and are better Point Guards than Ponds, whose basketball IQ leans towards that of a 2G.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 03:58:52 PM »
I did 6' and under.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 10:48:12 PM »
Ponds isn’t getting to the rack enough, but in his defense, this group of Rockets players are all black holes.

I want to see him draw contact again. This is the same timid play we saw in late Feb/March.

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 12:12:05 AM »
Ponds is being misused. Baffling they have him playing off the ball. Hard to get a rhythm going when guys are dribbling the air out of the ball.

QuanMan

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 12:33:33 AM »
-Chiozza controls the offense and as his direct competition is completely icing him out.

-The Rockets staff is stuffing him in the corner of a flex offense to spread the floor as a 3pt threat, where he's never been utilized in his career.

-Shamorie is in a tough spot, often on the floor with (2) other PGs. When he produces the roster is excited for him. Let's hope that he's showing what he has in practice and that he is brought back to his natural spots on the floor in Training Camp.

-Also of note, locals Rawle Alkins and Moses Brown are buried on the Rockets bench. Brown in particular, undrafted, has played a total of 2 minutes while in Vegas. Horrendous decision leaving UCLA after 1 year. Both seems destined for Europe at this point.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 12:34:22 AM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 12:39:57 AM »
Ponds is being misused. Baffling they have him playing off the ball. Hard to get a rhythm going when guys are dribbling the air out of the ball.

I saw him bringing it up at times and other times he played off the ball and often didn’t touch the ball on a possessions. He missed a lot of layups, and he is missing them in the same fashion that he missed them late year. I don’t get it. He’s just not playing aggressively? This isn’t the time to hold back.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 12:46:37 AM »
-Chiozza controls the offense and as his direct competition is completely icing him out.

-The Rockets staff is stuffing him in the corner of a flex offense to spread the floor as a 3pt threat, where he's never been utilized in his career.

-Shamorie is in a tough spot, often on the floor with (2) other PGs. When he produces the roster is excited for him. Let's hope that he's showing what he has in practice and that he is brought back to his natural spots on the floor in Training Camp.

-Also of note, locals Rawle Alkins and Moses Brown are buried on the Rockets bench. Brown in particular, undrafted, has played a total of 2 minutes while in Vegas. Horrendous decision leaving UCLA after 1 year. Both seems destined for Europe at this point.

Rawle has gone from future lottery pick to the end of a summer league bench.

Johnny23

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 07:50:18 AM »
This is why it's so important to work on the funadamentals of the game. Defense and moving without the ball. A lot of these city kids seem to be lacking this and it will seal their fate. Also these summer league games are streetyard. When you get the ball in your hands you need to make the most of it. Ponds is clearly not doing that so far.